It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Need Some Help - Pain under and below sternum

Hi guys,

I'm a 23 year old whose been having pain in my ribs, between my ribs and under my sternum. I had lots of tests last year that came back normal such as a HIDA, barrium swallow and x-ray. The only thing revealed was some gastritis that was mild through an endoscopy. I've had this pain before and it occured during the time I was going through all those tests.

I didn't know it was back until I dry heaved yesterday. My son had thrown up and I have a very weak stomach. It hurt so bad there between my ribs and upward that I had to catch my breath.Felt like someone had kicked me from the inside out. I have twinges of pain that are in my lower chest and middle of my ribs, sometimes higher. I don't feel sick at my stomach but I do feel short of breath a bit.

It is at it's worst when I press in and up and take a deep breath.

Any ideas what this could be? My doc has given up I think.

Thanks so much!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
(female)

ceri78 HB User
Re: Need Some Help - Pain under and below sternum

hi there,ive been having bad attacks that start just behind bottom of sternum and go around to back and inbetween breasts,wow its so bad feels like my whole chest is being squeezed tight in a vice,so painful.Also cannot take in deep breaths.Im puzzled as to what it is,gallbladder,pancreatits,costochondrit s????????????????????????????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

It sounds like spasms and cramping caused by a pinched nerve in the back that is radiating around the rib cage.

This type pain is usually caused by a lack of magnessium in your system. Every cell in your body contains magnesium and lacking it at the celluar level can cause cramping as well as spasms in any muscle in the body.
In the back there are many muscles that keep the vertabra in place w/o pinching causing the pain. A heating pad usually helps but a magnesium supplement is usually needed.

You can get your Doctor to do a blood test of your magnesium level as well as calcium level.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Thanks Harry. I do have scoliosis so this makes a lot of sense. I've never thought of it being back related before. I also have spinal thoratic stenosis which is a narrowing of the spinal cord and it's around that area. Thanks for the great info! =) I will certainly be asking my doctor about this when I get in for my appoinment.

Thanks Harry! =)

Old 12-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
(female)

Marcyjoy HB User

I was born with scoliosis.When I was 18 I was pregnant with my first child. When I was 7 month pregnant with him I experienced the first of my pain which I call my stermum pain. It is a pain where my ribs meet toward the bottom. The doctors use to say I was having muscle spasms. But that was 27 years ago. For the most part that area feels severely bruised. The pain increases and decreases all the time.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Marcyjoy,
Alot of times pain in that area is caused by a lack of magnesium in the diet.
Lacking magnicium can result in both muscle spasms & cramping.

Also, the pain can be caused by a hiatal hernia in that area?

Taking a magnisium supplement may help. The daily recommended dose is 400mg--best in divided doses.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B143C View Post
Hi guys,

I'm a 23 year old whose been having pain in my ribs, between my ribs and under my sternum. I had lots of tests last year that came back normal such as a HIDA, barrium swallow and x-ray. The only thing revealed was some gastritis that was mild through an endoscopy. I've had this pain before and it occured during the time I was going through all those tests.

I didn't know it was back until I dry heaved yesterday. My son had thrown up and I have a very weak stomach. It hurt so bad there between my ribs and upward that I had to catch my breath.Felt like someone had kicked me from the inside out. I have twinges of pain that are in my lower chest and middle of my ribs, sometimes higher. I don't feel sick at my stomach but I do feel short of breath a bit.

It is at it's worst when I press in and up and take a deep breath.

Any ideas what this could be? My doc has given up I think.

Thanks so much!
I had all kinds of tests too and it seemed to get worse when I was getting the test. They found mild non-specific gastritis. I don't have a gallbladder so I think the excess biles causes the inflamation. I think my gastritis also gets worse with stress or if I am having test because I always think the worse. I feel shortness of breath and I guess the reason I feel that way has to do with feeling bloated and it put pressure in the lung area.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
(female)

Marcyjoy HB User

Harry i was checked for hiatal hernia they said i didnt have one i also take 750 mg of magnicium a day remember this pain started when i was 7 months pregnaunt please help.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
(female)

debydew110 HB User

[QUOTE=B143C;3715351]Hi guys,

Hello,

It's been a while since you posted this but can you tell me if you found out what it was? I've been having the same symptoms but nothing has shown up in any test. Please let me know if you've gotten rid of this probelm.

Thanks,
Debydew110

Closed Thread