It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Gall Stones - is this pain normal?

Hello

I had a dull pinching type pain below my right rib for about 10 days. It was fairly painful to roll over or sit down, stand up, lift heavy objects, cough... and sneezing was unbearable! I ignored it until I sneezed and felt like I was being ripped and got an ambulance to hospital... had tests done and saw that I have over 10 gallstones and told to have surgery. I was prescribed some strong pain killers and told to come back to ER if pain is too strong before surgery. Where I am in Australia the normal waiting time for surgery can be up to 2 years! I have to wait another 10 days to meet with the surgeon before I can find out how long I am going to have to wait.

I think I must have had a bad dream or something, because I am now worried that I may not have gall stone pain and it is just a pulled muscle or something. However, the doctors would know from the ultrasound whether I would be getting pain - wouldn't they?

It just doesn't sound like the common symptoms when I read them on the internet. I have a constant pain.... but rarely 'really' extreme.... just very uncomfortable.... especially doing things like rolling onto my side it hurts quite a bit and wakes me up all night but it is more like a 'pulling' pain. And it hurts to press my bottom of rib cage and around the side to that back, but the pain is kind of a 'bruised' feeling. It also hurts to laugh and to take a deep breath of air.
I have had heartburn, which I never did before. And I am extremely bloated and occasional nausea.
I do have pain below my right shoulder, but I can only feel this when I touch it... and I found this odd before I had a chance to look it up on the internet, so I know I am not imagining this. This is also like the bruised pain I get when pressing my lower rib.

Maybe I just don't want it to be this as it is inconvenient and I don't understand why I have to have it as I am only young and eat a good diet and am not even overweight. Does this usually mean I have high cholesterol, too? My dad does but I haven't had it checked yet. And the operation will be so expensive and I have already had to miss a lot of work.

Basically, after my complaining, can anyone tell me whether a constant pulling pain at bottom of right rib can be gall stone symptoms, rather than just having no pain and then an extreme attack?
I have had this pain for 14 days now, constantly.... but usually only when I move. I do have lots of stones, but maybe they are not symptomatic and it is just a pulled muscle or something??? Or I am just being overly hopeful...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gall Stones - is this pain normal?

You need to have it out. The surgery is simple enough. It shouldn't be a problem. In the mean time, try to eliminate as much fat as youcan from your diet - no milk, cheese, fried foods, etc. And the ultrasound is to determine if you have stones. With that many, you need to have it out before it ruptures.

And no, it doesn't mean you have high cholesterol. Mine is usually about 170-180 and I had stones. My sister was floored. Couldn't believe i had gallstones because I am so healthy. but, our mother had them and it often runs in families.

Last edited by Titchou; 09-05-2008 at 05:16 PM.

Closed Thread