It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Gallstones

I was diagnosed with gallstones after my sonagram. I saw and met the surgeon yesterday and scheduled my surgery for 9/23. She explained to me all the risks. A 2% chance that after a month after surgery if you still have pain the stones might have traveled to different parts of the body. Then there is 2% chance you might have dirreahea for whole year if you eat anything fatty.

I am like panicky here because all I had is 2 c-sections, and surgery when I was kid. It has been so long when I was put under for surgery - what do you dream about when your under? I am thinking the worst.

Can anyone comfort me here???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
(female)

Alliecatt HB User
Re: Gallstones

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
I was diagnosed with gallstones after my sonagram. I saw and met the surgeon yesterday and scheduled my surgery for 9/23. She explained to me all the risks. A 2% chance that after a month after surgery if you still have pain the stones might have traveled to different parts of the body. Then there is 2% chance you might have dirreahea for whole year if you eat anything fatty.

I am like panicky here because all I had is 2 c-sections, and surgery when I was kid. It has been so long when I was put under for surgery - what do you dream about when your under? I am thinking the worst.

Can anyone comfort me here???
gigi, you'll be just fine. I just had a major surgery called a cervical rib resection. They basically removed my first rib and an extra rib from just above my clavical (collarbone). They had to retract all kinds of vital nerves and veins back to get to those bones so I lost feeling in my hand for quite awhile as a result. But all I remember was them putting something in my IV and telling me it was a sedative as they were wheeling me down the hallway and out I went. I woke up in recovery and they said the surgery went very well. Everyone made me feel very comfortable and calm.
I don't remember anything else. You're going to be just fine. Don't think the worst.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You don't dream about anything...you'll hardly have time to! When I had mine out, I was under for only 40 minutes...and that was full wake up in recovery. it's a very easy surgery...3 or 4 holes and that's it.

But NO FAT for one month after. You will be sorry if you do. Word to the wise!

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I suffer from Panic attacks and I am trying to calm myself down. My surgeon said it would be 45 minutes.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Tell them that and they will give you some meds to take beforehand. This is really so easy because they don't "cut you open" like for a C section, etc. It really is a few holes that only take a couple of stitches each. If you can get thru a C section, this will be a nonevent.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Then they told me they don't know if it will be easy way because if I bleed too much then they have to do the large incision but can't tell until you get into the surgery.

I was reading the preperation papers I need for the hospital is a living well - this was in the paperwork from the hospital - they explain that you wear lose clothing. It is the handout they give you to get ready for surgery. Didn't like the sound of that one.

thanks for your comments it helps to ease my mind.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:33 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

OK, you wear loose clothing because the holes are where your bra and panties come to. You'll need to wear something loose fitting for several days afterwards. One friend couldn't wear a bra because all of hers hit right where one hole was. So that's no big deal.

And the living will thing is in all such packets now. Just a fact of life in our society today.

And they always say they may have to do the full cut to cover themselves in case they do need to. Odds are they won't have to.

Last edited by Titchou; 09-11-2008 at 05:34 AM.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

I just had this surgery done about 4 weeks ago and I'm totally fine. The getting put to sleep part is the easy part. You'll be sitting there talking to the nurse and then all the sudden, the next thing you know, she'll be waking you up again. Although time has passed, you're completely unaware because you're totally asleep. I have had 4 surgeries and I've always thought the getting put to sleep part was really cool. I'm really surprised at how instantaneous it is! It's really, really neat.

Secondly, the surgeon is required to tell you that there's always a possibility of having to get the open incision rather than laproscopy because if they didn't tell you, they could be sued for malpractice. I've known almost 10 people who have had this surgery (including myself) and we were all told about the open surgery but none of us had to get that done. All of us had the laproscopy because that's how they do it now. It's only in rare cases they need to do the open surgery.

The loose clothing thing is just so you're comfortable. Not sure why that would make you nervous? Every surgery I've had, regardless of what surgery it was, they said to wear loose clothing because it's just more comfortable than wearing tight fitting jeans or whatever. Is there a particular reason why that would make you nervous? I guess I just don't understand your concern?

I was afraid of the diarrhea thing too, after reading posts on here about all of the people having that problem. But I'll tell you, I'm back on a regular diet and I've eated some things like fries and ribs and stuff - not a lot but some - and I've been just fine. I've had pizza with no problems. I am actually having the opposite issue where sometimes I feel more constipated than anything else. I think I have to start taking fiber pills or something. That's probably what I'll do.

Anyway, I was really scared before doing it because I'd never had incisions before. But it was pretty easy overall. There was some pain where the laproscopic incisions are, but since you've had a C-section, then this should be nothing compared to that!!

Speaking of which, you've had a c-section, this gall bladder surgery should honestly be the easiest thing ever for you! At least you have a frame of reference for how it feels to have an incision in your abdomen. I didn't know what that was going to feel like, and I kept thinking something was wrong. You have that benefit of knowing how it's supposed to feel so I'm sure you'll be just fine.

I keep telling people that go into surgery of any kind that the getting put to sleep and actual surgery part are the easy parts. The hard part is the recovery afterwards when you go home and have to fend for yourself without the nurses. That's when it gets difficult. But they put you to sleep during the surgery and it's so cool how you wake up as soon as you fall asleep.... I always enjoy that part of the surgery. But I'm terrified of needles so getting the IV put in is kind of a trauma for me.

Speaking of panic, I was crying when I was getting prepped for surgery because of the IV needle. So they gave me valium and it helped a lot! I felt my entire body completely relax! So, if you need a valium, tell them and they will give it to you. Believe me, it works better than you may realize!!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wasn't concerned about the loose clothing - I was giving you an example of what the paper said - I was concerned about the living will. You covered that and I thank you for your comforting words because I need that.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Well, to be honest, Gigi, they typically always mention the living will whenever you go to the hospital, either in the ER or for a surgery. That's very common. It's more of a cover your butt measure in case anything happens. They're not saying that anything will happen, but it's better to be covered in the event that something does happen. But to tell you the truth, this laproscopic gall bladder surgery is one of those extremely common things that happens all the time and it's not a difficult surgery. Really, it's almost like an assembly line type deal at most hospitals these days because of how many people get it done each day. So, I don't think you need to worry about it. But it's good to have some type of will in place anyway, even if you're not going into surgery, especially if you have kids and property and stuff that could potentially get all messed up if something happens to you. You want to make sure there's a directive in place.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hate to keep bothering you but what was the recovery time and I know it depends on the person. My surgeon said 5-7 days. Thanks for all your comments this really helps because I feel very comfortable now.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

I actually felt pretty good the same day. But the pain from the incisions lasted for just over a week. I haven't been having any digestive problems like some others here have complained about. I'm actually surprised at how quickly I felt better. The things that prevented me from doing much were the incision pain and the fact that I was exhausted all the time. I'm actually still pretty tired most of the time but I'm trying to make sure to get enough sleep, so I'm hoping that will go away soon. I'm back to a totally regular diet without any problems.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

If you have a power of attorney that includes healthcare, that will suffice with the hospital. My POA has this and that was what I gave them. It's a little less scary psychologically than an actual living will. Since you have children, you should have a will and a POA and a guardianship plan in place.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am taking all these replies from everyone to the hospital next week and reading them again - you guys have given me confidence and not to worry about all this. So thanks again!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tivo,

I had my surgery yesterday and I am home today - thanks so much for your advice - I was walking 2 hours after the surgery. You were right about everything - I was talking and then they knocked me out so fast and I didn't dream. I woke up in recovery - the surgery only took 20 minutes. I am sore today but on pain killers. So thanks again!!

Closed Thread