It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
What is Inactive Inflammation?

I've had GI problems for a while now. GB removed in 11/07 with no relief. Colonoscopy clear, CT, etc. After an endoscopy they told me I had acute gastritis and to wait on biopsies. The nurse called to tell me no cancer, no bacteria but "inactive inflammation". She offered no more information or solution.

Anyone know what that is?

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Re: What is Inactive Inflammation?

Hi ZoeGirl,

I wish I knew what "inactive inflammation" was, but I don't. I'm sure you've probably tried doing searches on it though, huh? I'm glad to hear that you don't have cancer. But you certainly have been through the ringer with all of your digestive problems!

I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel the gb surgery worked! I had mine removed a month ago and now I feel like things are WORSE. I guess it just my body adjusting, but I was doing so well before the surgery that it's a bit disheartening that I'm now having to be MORE careful and am having more digestive discomfort than before. I don't regret having my gb out because I had two HIDAs showing that it was not functioning, and the pathology report post surgery came back saying that it was chronically inflamed. And as my mom says, at least I don't have to worry about a gallbladder attack now. But I definitely have the mind set that this could still just be non ulcer dyspepsia (basic chronic indigestion) and that removing the gb won't do anything. It's just hard to make friends understand that I'm not out of the woods yet and that I may not be for a long time.....

Let us know if you find out what inactive inflammation is....good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I did search it with little luck. I found this
“The term “inactive inflammation” represents a condition with an increase in lymphocytes and plasma cells without granulocytes or any epithelial damage. The term “active inflammation” designates tissues in which granulocytes, cryptitis, or crypt abscesses as well as erosive defects or ulcers were seen.”
uh OK.

I was WAY worse after the GB surgery, better now but still have those days. Still having cramping and on occasion pretty bad upper left pain (new since GB surgery). They gave me Levbid to put under my tongue for cramping. I guess it's working, sometimes my cramps just stop anyway. I'd say it took 6 months before I felt like I could function again, I hope it doesn't take you that long!

I do have an appt with a GI that specializes in the biliary system (October), as I feel this is the problem. On my good days I want to say I'm fine but then of course it can all come crashing down. My GB was 0% EF too, but I don't feel like it needed to come out. Why? Maybe something was causing it to not function, plus I felt better with it! I think it may have worked some times.

I lost 40lbs but I've been holding steady at my current weight a month or so. I never once thought I had cancer, but that nurse is always noting after a test that I don't have it. I wonder why she says it like I am acting like I have cancer! I honestly think it's biliary.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

You could try to break it down and see if it makes more sense.

lymphocytes= produce antibodies and attack harmful cells
granulocytes= cells of the immune system defending the body against both infectious disease and foreign materials
cryptitis= inflammation of the mucous membrane of the anal crypts
ulcer= eroded area of skin or a mucous membrane

So it sounds like "inactive inflammation", the body is is trying to fight off any infections while "active inflammation" means that the body has already been infected and areas have been damaged or eroded.
That's just my best educated guess.

Everytime I researched, I kept pulling up IBS. It may be associated.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

When I searched I got IBD not IBS and gastritis. I was diagnosed with IBD (Chron's) several years ago, but they've since taken back that diagnosis

All just guesses at this point. I had originally thought it meant there were signs of inflammation but it's no longer there, however it seems that there is a presence of infection fighting with no damage to the lining itself. ALTHOUGH (ha) the dr said after the EDG that there was inflammation and I had acute gastritis with an unknown cause (until the biopsies come back). This is how it's gone for me for the last couple of years. "We see something, don't know what it is, can't help you."

Old 09-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeGirl View Post
When I searched I got IBD not IBS and gastritis. I was diagnosed with IBD (Chron's) several years ago, but they've since taken back that diagnosis

All just guesses at this point. I had originally thought it meant there were signs of inflammation but it's no longer there, however it seems that there is a presence of infection fighting with no damage to the lining itself. ALTHOUGH (ha) the dr said after the EDG that there was inflammation and I had acute gastritis with an unknown cause (until the biopsies come back). This is how it's gone for me for the last couple of years. "We see something, don't know what it is, can't help you."

Yes I was pulling up that as well, along with Chron's Disease and ulcerative colitis. This is kind of what I was getting from it. Again, only my educated guess from what I read.

There's a range of active or inactive inflammatory conditions and the term "inactive" and "active" inflammation is the level of intestinal inflammation which is a primary criterion used in diagnosis in the assessment of disease activity.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Zoe where were your pains? I am going through some testing and their is inflammation in my pancreas as determined by my lipase test, not super high just a tad. Had US and CT but they found nothing. Will have an EUS too. Just scared and looking for maybe other reasons aside from cancer as to what could cause this

Closed Thread