It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
(female)

Alliecatt HB User
Having EGD tomorrow 9/12/08 and I'm VERY anxious about it! Advise?

I've had major surgery before but this procedure makes me very nervous. I have never liked the idea of tubes or anything going into my throat, not to mention down into my stomach. And the possibility that I may remember parts of the procedure is disturbing. The nurse just called me to ask if I had any questions and I asked about the anesthesia that will be used. She told me what medications would be used and that I wouldn't be fully asleep but that my throat would be numb and they would make me as comfortable as possible. I just don't want to freak out with all these instruments and tubes that are down my throat and be traumatized. Can someone who has had this procedure please calm me down? I feel so stressed about this even though most people say that it is a breeze. The procedure is tomorrow, September 12th, so I could use all the comfort I can get. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
Re: Having EGD tomorrow 9/12/08 and I'm VERY anxious about it! Advise?

An upper endoscopy is easy stuff, I've had two. Actually, I enjoy it! Not the actual procedure (which I don't remember due to the drug they give you) but afterward. I take the best naps after! Whatever meds they give you totally relax me and I feel so well rested after that nap.

They give you some drugs via IV, one of them is an amnesia drug, you don't remember anything if you are aware. My first was an upper and colonoscopy together and I vaguely remember them telling me to roll over and that's it.

They can give you something when you get there to help with nerves, I think I did the first time I went in. The 2nd time I was looking forward to the IV. I must be crazy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeGirl View Post
An upper endoscopy is easy stuff, I've had two. Actually, I enjoy it! Not the actual procedure (which I don't remember due to the drug they give you) but afterward. I take the best naps after! Whatever meds they give you totally relax me and I feel so well rested after that nap.

They give you some drugs via IV, one of them is an amnesia drug, you don't remember anything if you are aware. My first was an upper and colonoscopy together and I vaguely remember them telling me to roll over and that's it.

They can give you something when you get there to help with nerves, I think I did the first time I went in. The 2nd time I was looking forward to the IV. I must be crazy!

Thankyou! That calms me a bit. I did see a video log where someone said that they started "waking up" during the procedure and became aware of all the tubes and instruments in their throat and stomach and it traumatized them. It takes a lot to knock me out, I have insomnia and even prescription sleeping pills don't work for me. So I'm just nervous that whatever meds they use won't work well or will wear off before they are finished. I hope I have the same experience that you did with your EGDs.

I've had a colonoscopy before and they didn't give me any medication at all and it was very painful.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've had two EGD's. Once I was in the procedure room, they administered the anesthesia and I was instantly asleep. Next thing I know, I was wide awake. The procedure was finished and I was in "recovery". They monitored me for about 1/2 hour, had me drink some juice or soda (ironic that they offered OJ and soda which are on my list to avoid on a GERD diet). I was then released.

There is nothing to worry about. It is a quick and easy procedure.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
I've had two EGD's. Once I was in the procedure room, they administered the anesthesia and I was instantly asleep. Next thing I know, I was wide awake. The procedure was finished and I was in "recovery". They monitored me for about 1/2 hour, had me drink some juice or soda (ironic that they offered OJ and soda which are on my list to avoid on a GERD diet). I was then released.

There is nothing to worry about. It is a quick and easy procedure.
Thankyou, I'm starting to feel better about this procedure. I'm sure it will be fine, I was afraid I would be aware and feel that I am choking or gagging. The nurse said I wouldn't be alseep but that I "shouldn't" remember anything.
This leads me to believe that you think you are sleeping because you just forget everything that happens to you during the procedure.
I'm going to attempt to get some sleep soon. Thanks again.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm back from my EGD and everything went very smooth. I was very nervous but the nurse gave me some Versed through my IV. It didn't actually work but they took great care of me once I was in the Day Surgery area. After they gave me the medication that makes you forget everything, I just remember them asking me to roll on my left side, next thing I know I hear them calling my name and telling me they are done. So I worried over nothing. If I ever have to do it again, then I won't be anxious. It really wasn't bad at all.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Allie,

I'm glad to learn all went smoothly for you.

I didn't post yesterday as I was one of those who had a bad experience and didn't want to scare you.

I too had Versed in my IV and it did nothing for me. However they never gave me anything else and the whole procedure was sheer torture. I wretched and gagged the whole time. I thought for sure I was going to die.

Did the Dr say anything about what he saw?

I'm having problems too and I know if I have to have it done again and I'm not out of it they won't be proceeding.

Chantal

Old 09-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Allie,

how long did it all take, including the recovery? I am having it done next week and was told to arrange a ride home 1 1/2 hours later.

Chantal,

my friend's daughter had the same experience as you. She was unable to go through the test. I am hoping mine will go smoothly. I do hope they will numb the throat and use a sedative.

FG

Old 09-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've had it done twice. I would say the amount of time will depend on the place you have it done. The first time it was 3 hours because they were backed up and I had to wait for the doctor to come talk to me after. The one I had done in August, I was done in 45 minutes. I left in just over an hour because my ride decided to run and errand and didn't have a phone. I think 1 1/2 hours is a very good estimate.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal231 View Post
Hi Allie,

I'm glad to learn all went smoothly for you.

I didn't post yesterday as I was one of those who had a bad experience and didn't want to scare you.

I too had Versed in my IV and it did nothing for me. However they never gave me anything else and the whole procedure was sheer torture. I wretched and gagged the whole time. I thought for sure I was going to die.

Did the Dr say anything about what he saw?

I'm having problems too and I know if I have to have it done again and I'm not out of it they won't be proceeding.

Chantal

Thank you for not scaring me! LOL
I'm so pleasantly surprised at how smooth this procedure went this morning. Everyone knew how anxious I was. I didn't even ask for anything to calm me down. They just asked if it was OK to give me medication called Versed to help me relax and I said it was fine. It worked for literally 3 minutes, then I continued to feel anxious again. They said they could give me another dose when it was time to go down to surgery but I told them it didn't work the first time so I declined it. They told me that they would take great measures to make sure I would be comfortable and not to worry so that helped me a bit.

The worst part I think is when they sprayed my throat to numb it. They did it twice and I gagged and burbed. They also made me drink something they said which was to help for gas?
Then they told me to lay back and administered some drug through my IV. They tell me to roll on my left side and next thing I know, I hear them calling my name saying they are done! They take me back up to my room and give me some 7-Up.

The Dr. came in shortly to tell me that he found a "bump" and took a biopsy. It will take about a week before I get the results. I have an appoinment next week to discuss the results with him. In the meantime, he has doubled my Prilosec. He isn't sure what the "bump" is yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Allie,

how long did it all take, including the recovery? I am having it done next week and was told to arrange a ride home 1 1/2 hours later.

Chantal,

my friend's daughter had the same experience as you. She was unable to go through the test. I am hoping mine will go smoothly. I do hope they will numb the throat and use a sedative.

FG
Hi,
Yes, I think it is standard to numb the throat so you don't feel anything and don't gag. Also I think everyone uses basically the same sedatives for this procedure. If you are anxious, you can ask for something to help calm you down. They should give it to you. Believe me, I was terrified but it was absolutely a breeze. I don't remember any of the bad parts.

Here's how the timing went for me. I was supposed to register at 9:30 a.m.
Then the surgery was to be at 10:30 a.m.
They got me registered fast and up to my room, took my medical history, I changed into a gown, gave them a urine sample, they put in the IV.
The Dr. performing the EGD briefly came to talk to me to see if I had any questions. The doctor who ordered the Versed came to talk to me a bit. Then they administered the Versed. They were running late and I don't think they came to take me down to surgery until about noon. The procedure itself only took about 15-20 minutes. I was back up in my room at about 12:25. Then they make you wait in your room for an hour before you leave to make sure you are OK. So I was allowed to leave at about 1:30. The total time I was at the hospital was 4 hours. I don't know why the Dr. was running an 1 1/2 behind but they told me that it is unforseen. He had 4 patients before me. So it could be less time for you but it's hard to give an exact amount of time.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Alliecat,

thank you for giving me an idea about the time-frame. At least I know what I am looking at. My hubby can always sit around and wait, (he'd hate that!) or go home and come back later to get me, if necessary. The procedure itself sounds straightforward and painless.
Allie, good luck with the "bump"...I know it's going to be a long, long week for you. I hate waiting for results. I think we all do.

FG

Old 09-13-2008, 01:51 AM   #13
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi FG!

It's great to "see" you back! I hope you had a nice vacation.

My procedure was the worst thing I've ever gone through. Why some Drs give sedation like Allie's did and others don't I don't know.

Yes, waiting for test results is awful. I'm an anxious person anyway so waiting on a test is horrible for me. I'm always in the "what if" frame of mind.

Once again Allie, I'm glad all went well for you and try not to worry too much. . . .easier said than done, I know.

Chantal

Old 09-13-2008, 06:37 AM   #14
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Alliecat,

thank you for giving me an idea about the time-frame. At least I know what I am looking at. My hubby can always sit around and wait, (he'd hate that!) or go home and come back later to get me, if necessary. The procedure itself sounds straightforward and painless.
Allie, good luck with the "bump"...I know it's going to be a long, long week for you. I hate waiting for results. I think we all do.

FG
Flowergirl, you are very welcome. I really just hope that after this procedure, they will be able to get some better answers and I can figure out what is causing all this discomfort and pain. Then maybe I can make a better decision as to whether or not to have my GB removed.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #15
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal231 View Post
Hi FG!

It's great to "see" you back! I hope you had a nice vacation.

My procedure was the worst thing I've ever gone through. Why some Drs give sedation like Allie's did and others don't I don't know.

Yes, waiting for test results is awful. I'm an anxious person anyway so waiting on a test is horrible for me. I'm always in the "what if" frame of mind.

Once again Allie, I'm glad all went well for you and try not to worry too much. . . .easier said than done, I know.

Chantal
Chantal,

Thank you. I'm just going to try not to think about it too much and wait until my appoinment next week to see what, if anything that "bump" was. I'm hoping that if it is what is causing all my pain then maybe it can be treated at least and then I will start feeling much better. I am in the dilemma where I don't know yet what is causing my pain so I don't want to have my GB removed until I'm sure it's not something else. So I'll know more in a week hopefully. *crosses fingers*

As for your EGD, I don't understand why you didn't receive the medications that I did either. I wouldn't have the same Dr. who performed it before do it again. That's a comfort measure and they should have used it. I believe what they used was Diprivan and Fentanyl during my procedure. It makes you think you are asleep but you aren't. You are able to follow instuctions but have no memory whatsoever of the procedure. I would ask them if they use it for your next EGD to ease your mind. Ask them for Versed if you feel anxious.

Closed Thread