It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Question Liquid diet post Nissen Fundoplication

I had a Nissen Fundoplication for reflux a week ago. Up to now, I have been on a clear liquid diet. I am to remain on a liquid diet for at least the next 8 days. I am in need of ideas for liquids that will give me more variety and nutrition in my diet. I can have nothing with any lumps in it or that is thick. I also need to avoid most dairy. I have also tried to avoid any foods that are reflux triggers (i.e. spicy, tomato, citrus, fatty, chocolate, etc...). I don't want to chance those types of foods yet.

Any ideas for things I can supplement my liquid diet with?

I am also looking for ideas on pureed or other soft food I can add to my diet in a couple weeks.

Thanks in advance.

MountainReader

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
(female)

pixie1985 HB User
Re: Liquid diet post Nissen Fundoplication

Hi MountainReader,
I am 2 weeks post op for same procedure. Not sure why your MD has you still on full liquids.Do you still have alot of swelling? After 3 days I was allowed to add back thinned mashed potatoes and creamy mac and cheese. ( I found that KFC has the creamiest).You may have to do the baby food thing at first when you start adding back.
My MD has a nutritionist that will help if I had questions. Check with yours and see if their are supplements such as protein powders etc that you can add to what you are drinking. You need the protein for healing properties.
I can tell you...whatever you do...do not drink carbonated drinks. I am a cokeaholic and made that mistake. I also found that taking a walk after eating helped the food digest better and not get stuck. Stay completely away from bread for awhile. Eatdrink small amounts several times a day and keep hydrated. (my hubby laughs at me...he said I graze all day).
Hang in there.. It does get better. Pix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

pixie,
Thanks for your response. I hope you are healing up well.

I think all doctors are different with regards to diet after the Fundoplication. I know I found a wide range of things doing internet researching. My surgeon uses the two week of liquids only as his standard protocol. He REALLY emphasized the liquid only diet with me.

Right now, the mashed potatoes and mac and cheese are sounding great to me.

I've been drinking protein water and some of those supplemental drinks with extra protein.

Have you eaten any of the foods from the restricted list from the acid reflux diet yet? I've been craving a glass of V-8. My surgeon didn't say I needed to avoid any foods, but the acid refux restrictions have been part of my diet for such a long time that it makes me question whether or not I should try them before my follow-up appointment next week.

Also, have you had any belching since your surgery? I've had some and I didn't think I was supposed to. My surgeon has been out of the office so I can't ask him about it until next week.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi Mountainreader, just a thought, have you tried Ensure yet? When my esophagus ruptured, that is what they gave me while I was being fed thru tubes, I had this for a month, then slowly after I was able to start soft foods, I could eat broth, which seemed to me like a thanksgiving meal after haveing been fed thru tubes for so long. After a while, I could also eat mashed potatoes, soft boiled egg, anything that would not require chewing, it would just go down. You are right to stay away from V8. Good luck and get well soon.

Sunny

Old 10-12-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

MountainReader.. since your MD has protocol for his surgery I would not add anything until you see him/her. Acidic and citrus drinks are definitely out of the question right now. I think maybe my diet might be different since I did not actually have acid reflux with my issue. Mine was a large hiatal hernia that had made it's way into my chest area and stayed there. My surgery was more due to the chance of strangulation.
In reference to the belching/burping..I was actually doing it when they brought me out of surgery. If I do try to overeat those potatoes and mac and cheese though..I tend to get trapped air that is painful. Just try to drink what you are allowed slowly and NO straws.I know your energy level is low but moving around really helped with gas/bloating with me. Was your surgery Laparoscopic?
Take care...keep us posted on your progress. Pix

Old 10-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Sunny, it sounds like you really went through a lot. I'm glad my restriction isn't that bad. I've been drinking Ensure and Boost several times a day. I've also been drinking broths. I'm already tired of them, but at least I have know I will be able to move to the soft foods at the end of the week. Right now those eggs and mashed potatoes are sounding really good. Thanks for your well wishes. I'm glad you healed up well.

Pixie, I appreciate your sharing of your experience. Yes, my surgery was laparoscopic. I had 6 incinsions. I've tried to get out and about and move every day since the surgery. I was really slow in the beginning, but I've picked up some speed the last couple days. I did 'eat' too much of a blended up cream soup yesterday and I got a really upset stomach and became nauseous. Zofran has been great to keep the nausea down. Also, it is getting a bit less painful getting in and out of bed. That up and down movement has probably been the worst thing so far. I do have another question for you. Do you have any pain when you take a deep breath in?

Overall, I think I am healing pretty well. I go in Wed. for a Colonoscopy for another digestive issue. I figure I won't have any problem with the liquid diet the day before, but I am a bit concerned about having to lay on my left side. It is still tender for that. My surgeon and GI doc both said that I could go ahead with the test a week after the surgery and it will be almost two by then so I am trusting them on this. After that, I have my first post-op follow-up with the surgeon on Thursday. I am hoping at that time that he will give me the ok to begin eating other things and that he will clear me for work.

Last edited by MountainReader; 10-12-2008 at 11:12 PM.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

I hit my 2 week post Nissen Fundoplication mark today. My surgeon is encouraging me to continue drinking a lot of liquids, but he cleared me to eat soft foods for the next couple weeks. I am still to avoid meat and bread. He really wants me to watch eating things that might be difficult to swallow. He stressed again the need to really chew my food before swallowing as well.

Pixie- do you have any other recommendations for soft foods that worked for you?

I also talked to the surgeon about the belching I have had since the surgery, he said it wasn't all that unusual and it was just air that was caught above the wrap coming up. I do hope that as I heal the belching reduces though. From everything I have read on the internet, most people can't belch after this procedure, so I don't have much frame of reference here.

I have a question for those of you who have had this surgery. What guidelines did your surgeon give you with regards to lifting? Most of what I have read on the internet indicates some restrictions for about 6 weeks because of the stitches. My surgeon has indicated that I can begin bowling after 3 weeks. That seems early to me.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #8
(male)

jpatt HB User

i had my fundo on 9/13/2008. i had a hiatal hernia which caused severe reflux. i had a constant sour taste in my mouth and bad halitosis. i was able to eat soft foods in the hospital the day after surgery. as for trigger foods, i ate chocolate pudding and ice cream and it caused pretty bad heartburn bloating and reflux. people here said give it time to heal. since then i have given up dairy for now. i still have bad breath and the sour taste. i just hope it gets better. so in my opinion, i would stay away from those foods for now. especially foods that bloat you.

Last edited by jpatt; 10-21-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

I've had some problems with dairy as well since the surgery and I have been avoiding it as well. I will be talking to my GI doc about this next week.

My GI doc put me on a 10 day course of some extremely strong probiotics last week. I was finally cleared on Thursday to eat soft food, then I started this prescription on Friday and I haven't had an appetite at all since then. I have also been extremely nauseaus. Because of this, I haven't been able to bring myself to eat too many solid foods. This isn't normal for the prescription, but I figure it must be the combination of the prescription and the surgery.

My symptom of reflux was a chronic cough. This was caused by the reflux, but the reflux also flared up my asthma big time. I haven't coughed at all since the surgery. Haven't eaten much variety though so I don't think I have really tested myself yet though.

It amazes me that you were eating soft foods in the hospital. My surgeon was adament about only having liquids because he wanted the swelling to go down to make swallowing easier before introducing the soft foods. It sounds like my doctor is extra cautious.

I hope that given time your symptoms will improve.

Can you tell me where you are at regarding lifting restrictions?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
(male)

jpatt HB User

i had some mush up chicken. it was difficult to eat. i only ate a little bit because it hurt. i can eat a lot of stuff on the list the doctor gave me. mostly a lot of soup. plus i eat some chicken or ground turkey. i just chew it really well and it doesn't get stuck. if you get bloated, it will put pressure on the part of your stomach that is healing and cause pain. i take some tums, and it goes away. right now i am eating probably too much. in two weeks, i can eat anything, but i take it slow. i tried soy milk. it seems to be a little better. i need to quit coffee also. this is easier said then done. i think i need to see a doctor for my bronchitis. just to make sure i'm ok in the lungs.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

Hi MountainReader....sorry for the delay in response. I have gone back to work which has me fatigued lately. As for the solid foods..I have had a set back...started being extremely nauseous when I have tried to eat other solid foods. I am back to the mac and cheese, baked potatoes etc... I see my MD on the 3rd. I hope I haven't overdone it and messed this thing up..
How are you doing with your eating?
You mentioned bowling in one of your posts. My MD said their is a a 10 lb weight restriction for at least 6 weeks. Be careful with the lifting..

take care....Pix

Old 10-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Pixie,
I went back to work on the 20th. I was feeling like I was healing up from the surgery ok. I started a 10 day course of high dose probiotics on the 17th and because extremely nauseous and totally lost my appetite. I decided to "tough it out" because it was only for 10 days. My nausea became worse after I finished my prescription. My surgeon cleared me on the 16th. I went to my GI doc today. He said it wasn't the medicing, but that the surgery causes trauma to the the stomach since it "twisted it all up". I am supposed to expect it to take a long time for this to get better. I have been taking Zofran prescribed by my surgeon, but my GI doc prescribed Phenegren for the nausea because it was cheaper. The nausea has been so bad that I have missed a couple days of work since I have been back. (This from a person who has 4 mos. sick leave accumulated because I never miss work.)

Since the nausea hit me on the 17th, it has been really difficult to eat. I was cleared to eat soft food and the actual swallowing is ok, but I have no appetite for it. I also just found out today that I have developed IBS. Some of the foods that are soft that I do eat (such as anything with milk or cheese) just give me an upset stomach and 'D'. Because of this I am still doing primarily liquids even after 4 weeks. It is frustrating because my GI doc has told me I need to be on a high fiber diet to help, but so many of the high fiber foods I just physically can't eat yet. Of the soft foods I am eating, I can have some days that they are just fine and other days I have trouble eating them.

Keep me posted with how you are doing. Any strategies that you find work for you would be much appreciated.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
(male)

jpatt HB User

are u having any reflux? because i am.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

No obvious reflux symptoms so far.

My GI doc still has me taking Prevacid x2 and following the anti-reflux diet in addition to the surgery though. He was very adament about this.

I have had some belching, but it if from air that isn't making it through to my stomach.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #15
(male)

jpatt HB User

i still have a sour taste in my mouth and certain foods seem to trigger my reflux.

Closed Thread