It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

Alliecatt HB User
Question What are well tolerated foods after a Cholecystectomy?

Hi everyone,

I am scheduled to have my cholecystectomy on October 28th and I would like to have some groceries ready before my surgery to make it easier on me.

Are there foods (including beverages) that you have found easy or well tolerated after your cholecystectomy? Also, if there are foods that you have found to cause you discomfort after your surgery, I would appreciate that info as well. I was told that I will need to be on a low fat diet for about a month after the surgery. Any suggestions are appreciated.

-Alliecatt-

Old 10-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: What are well tolerated foods after a Cholecystectomy?

No fat, nothing spicy. So that means no mayo, no cheese, no milk, nothing fried, no dressings unless fat free, lean chicken/turkey/seafood, no butter, no sour cream, etc. Baked chicken, fish, potatoes, steamed veggies, bread, yogurt, fruit, etc are all fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Do drink only CLEAR liquids! I had half a bottle of Ensure right after the Cholecystectomy, and it made me throw up on the side of the road on the way home! Not fun. And don't drink too much liquids. I received 5 bags of liter IV's and drank several cups of apple and orange juice at the hospital, only because the nurses wanted to go home at night and wanted me to pee so they don't have to stay with me. Take it very easy for the first couple of days, even through you may think you are capable.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Titchou,

Thank you, those are great tips!

Alan,

Eww, there will be none of that throwing up business for me.
Thanks for the warning. I will be sure to keep that in mind!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

Depending on the type of Ensure - it can have a bit much fat in it. One type has 11grams for example.

I was told to have clear liquids that night (I was released from the hospital at 2:30pm. I practically ran out of there! lol) and to be careful what I ate for a couple of days. Then no food restrictions. I ate very very low fat (1.5 grams tops) for around 5 days just to make sure everything was ok, then went back to eating what I had before the surgery. 20 days later I've had a few instances of diarrhea, but doubt that will ever stop - hopefully this won't be a problem for you.

Chances are you had to avoid higher fat foods to begin with so what you normally eat will be ok after a few days. You may want to avoid high fiber foods for a couple days, though. I've found that tomato soup (0 fat) has always settled well.

I did have problems with vomiting right after I came home from the hospital - it was from the percocet, it turns out that I cannot take it. If you have any sort of nausea or any vomiting before or after you leave, call the hospital or go back. They can get a prescription called in for you to help.

And a little tip. Whoever drives you home, have them put a small pillow in the car and drive carefully. You will feel every bump.

Last edited by aether4; 10-22-2008 at 07:26 PM.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If oyu back off the fat, the diarrhea will go away. I know they tell you to only restrict your diet for a few days but I am here as the voice of experience. Do it for a month and then slowly introduce fat. You'll be better off in the long run. Everyone that I know who has done that didn't really have issues - long or short term. And what's a few weeks of no fat? As you said, you were probably doing that before the surgery.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
If oyu back off the fat, the diarrhea will go away.
I've had diarrhea from eating foods with 0 fat. I've even had it from plain baked chicken breast (with GB) and triggered right after drinking a glass of water (both with and without GB). But I strongly suspect that my digestive issues are not solely gallbladder/bile related due to when the diarrhea can kick in and some other odd symptoms. I also have a form of dysautonomia so GI issues are to be expected.

As for what are a few weeks - It depends on the person. I have problems keeping weight on so I do need some fat in my diet. Average meal for me is around 3-6 grams of fat, occasionally up to 10grams (probably why I am underweight, lol). I'm still currently trying to get the 11lbs back that I lost while sick with C. diff in August - I've managed to put around 5lbs back on.

The best thing I've found is to mostly stick to eating my own cooking. I can control what goes in it, how well any grease on the food is removed, and just generally know what I can tolerate without problems. I'm sure that's mostly true for everyone else, even those without major GI problems.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Titchou,
I actually haven't limited my fat intake that much since been being diagnosed with gallstones with the exception that I don't eat out very much any more because I tend to have a lot of pain and nausea when I do. It will be a new experience for me to be on a low-fat diet so all of your suggestions will help me.

aether4,
Thanks so much for all of your tips! I imagine I will eat a lot of soups. I actually had tomato soup today and it went down easily.
I will remember to bring a pillow in the car for after my surgery. I wish I would have had one when I had shoulder surgery 6 months ago. Talk about feeling every little bump on the road!

Old 10-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aether4 View Post
I've had diarrhea from eating foods with 0 fat.
I hope that won't be an issue for me. It is one of the things that has kept me from getting the cholecystectomy sooner. My doctor said that there is a medication that he can give me that will help with the diarrhea should that be a problem. I'm not fond of the idea of taking another pill but I'm not fond of diarrhea either!

Quote:
I'm still currently trying to get the 11lbs back that I lost while sick with C. diff in August - I've managed to put around 5lbs back on.
I lost about 20 lbs in 3 weeks after being diagnosed with gallstones because of the pain and nausea. I had a difficult time finding anything that I could eat. I mostly just ate fruit. I've gained about 5 lbs back and now my weight has stayed steady. I'm at about 120 lbs now which is a better weight for me anyway.

Last edited by Alliecatt; 10-23-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliecatt View Post
My doctor said that there is a medication that he can give me that will help with the diarrhea should that be a problem. I'm not fond of the idea of taking another pill but I'm not fond of diarrhea either!
Don't worry, it probably won't be a pill! You may end up with some cholestyramine powder. Gritty stuff that doesn't fully dissolve (varies by brand) and usually comes in orange flavor. Mix with juice to help with the taste.

I was initially diagnosed with gallstones 8 years ago, probably had them for 10 years or more. For the most part, while I did/do have GI issues, I didn't have many gallbladder attacks (right side pain). This is one reason why I waited so long. There was chronic inflammation from the stones. 8 years ago I had 3 stones and when they took my GB out there was only 5, so either some broke down or my diet helped keep me from making too many.

My GI doc suggested that there's a genetic predisposition for them? and that this is why I started getting them so young. No one on either side of my family, that I know, has had any gallbladder problems.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Quote:
Don't worry, it probably won't be a pill! You may end up with some cholestyramine powder.
It's good to know that there's something out there that might alleviate some of the diarrhea should I happen to get it after the surgery.

Quote:
My GI doc suggested that there's a genetic predisposition for them? and that this is why I started getting them so young. No one on either side of my family, that I know, has had any gallbladder problems.
I have multiple stones and sludge in my GB plus it runs in my family so I guess it makes sense to go ahead and have mine out. I haven't really had many GB attacks but because of these other reasons, my surgeon and I have decided that in the long run, it was best to remove it.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

I wasn't told anything about my diet.

I was in hospital over night, so had to have a clear liquid diet that night and the next breakfast. I was given sandwiches for lunch and then went home and ate whatever I wanted... I rang the surgeon to ask about my inflated stomach and he just checked that I was eating, in general. He didn't ask what I was eating...

Maybe I shouldn't be eating all this chocolate...

Good luck for Tuesday. It isn't that bad, really. You might be sore for a few days and not feel like doing much for at least a week! I was so tired for ages. I went back to work after 10 days, which made me tired, but by then I was not in much pain.. just felt exhausted.

Last edited by Greenoctopus18; 10-24-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Addition

Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Thanks Greenoctopus! Tuesday is coming very quickly and I am getting nervous. I hope all goes well and I won't have any complications.

Closed Thread