It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
(female)

guamtoys HB User
Smile Habba Syndrome

It finally has a name. 12 years of tears, pain and agony and it finally has a name. I at first had some concerns since I had my gall bladder removed during my pregnancy with my first chid, but Dr Habba's website says that 10% of persons with gall bladder removal have the syndrome. My chronic diarreha had gotten so bad after my child was born that a couple of years ago my family drove about 1800 miles on vaction and I wouldn't eat all day until we found a hotel for the night and then I'd eat and of course the diarreha would always painfully return. I quit worrying about my appearence and wouldn't leave the house except to pick-up my kids at school I was desperate. My husband and I have lived through literally dozens of doctors from every specialty known to mankind. Every one of them said I was crazy and that nothing was wrong with me. About a year ago we stumbled across a internet article about a woman who had similar symptoms to mine and she corrected her situation with cholestyramine. I went to yet another GI and told him that I wanted to try the product and it has changed my life. I still have a couple of days a months that I have the diarreha after eating but I have a more normal life. Now I volunteer 30 -40 hours a week at the local schools and my husband bought me a new wardrobe which I now happily wear. I guess my biggest concern is does this have a cure and is there other means of taking the cholestyramine except for the powder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User
Re: Habba Syndrome

That cholestyramine powder is gross, isn't it? Depending on brand, you may find one that's less gritty - the stuff I was given while in the hospital didn't seem to dissolve at all. The stuff I got from the pharmacy is finer and dissolves... mostly. Mixing it with juice, gatorade, or something else fruit flavored helps make it a bit more palatable.
I could have sworn there was a pill/capsule, but I'm not sure.

I heard of Habba Syndrome a couple years ago. Before I had my gallbladder out I had a lot of diarrhea problems, now that it's out... well it still happens some but that has always gone through phases so I don't know if it will stop for me. My GI doc suggested I start taking fiber to help.

I'm really surprised your doctors could never figure this out. It's not uncommon for those who have their gallbladders out (search past threads on here, for example) or even still have their gallbladders but have something wrong with them.

After 12 years... I think you're stuck with it. Have you noticed any patterns with foods? Some will still cause me diarrhea (too bad, too, I really like the food at an Italian restaurant in town - too much butter and oil in the food, though).
Keep an eye on your electrolytes and vitamin levels. If you get diarrhea fairly often they can drop in no time.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
(male)

Rainbowringer HB User
Re: Habba Syndrome

Just so you know, I have had the Habba Syndrome for some time as well (that is urgency of diarrhoea after eating). However I still have my gallbladder (yeah, I've got the gall!) but an overreactive GB. So it is by no means limited to those who have had theirs removed. Again, FYI.

Last edited by Rainbowringer; 04-23-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Closed Thread