It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
(male)

jeff1 HB User
Barrett's question

I had many years of GERD and over the counter stuff did not do much for me... after waiting far too long, 2 years ago I had an endoscopy and it showed I had C grade erosion... the lab work showed NO cell changes that would indicate Barrett's (it stated "there is no intestinal metaplasia"). I have used Zegerid for the last 2 years and have rarely, if ever, had any symptoms of GERD since.

I went for a 2 year follow-up endoscopy and it showed the erosion was completely healed but the report after he procedure also showed small sliding hiatal hernia and Barrett's esophagus. I have not gotten any biopsy lab results yet.

My questions are:
1) If there were no signs 2 years ago and the GERD was under control, is it normal for Barrett's to have cropped up now?
2) Everything I have read says that the only conclusive way to determine it is Barretts is with the lab results... it may LOOK like it with the endoscopy but it could be stomach cells and not intestinal type cells.
3) It appears that in the pictures I was given from the procedure that the area they highlighted in the "Barrett's" labeled pictures is below the hernia.. may be I am wrong... I am just going by the sequence and the visibility of what I believe are the stomach folds... I have also read that some Dr's call stomach cells in the esophagus Barrett's when in reality it is NOT... and does not have the same risks.

The Dr talked to me afterward and said everything looked good with the erosion since my first scope two years earlier... and never mentioned the Barrett's... it was not until the ride home in the car that I read through the paperwork I was given where it is stated and shown in pictures.

If anyone has had a similar experience I'd love to hear from you... thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
(female)

kittykat80 HB User
Re: Barrett's question

Your best chance is to communicate with your doctor. Communicating is the key to knowledge. Ask your doc what the labwork mean. Ask him/her all the questions you asked us. Good luck, I hope you find the answer you need.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
(male)

harrywilliams HB User

GERD can be complex in a sitation like that. i hope things fare ok but make sure you eat easily digestible things and make that a habit to keep.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
(male)

harrywilliams HB User

Are you aggrvating the throat through any juices or spices? these results do not sound normal as i recall.

Tell us what the doc say. you can help reduce it by eating smaller meals, not lying down for at least three hours after you eat, and losing weight.

Some ppl can prevent symptoms at night by raising the head of their bed with 6 inch blocks or by sleeping on a special wedge-shaped pillow that elevate the upper part of the physique

Last edited by harrywilliams; 11-08-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Closed Thread