It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #16
(male)

lowt HB User
Re: Anyone with Chronic idiopathic nausea?

Hi idkwia, no solution to my nausea yet, have found that eating sweet foods can help with the nausea for a short time, but because of the high calories in these foods i have packed on the weight but feel too sick to exercise to try to get back in shape.
I know that stress is part of my nausea as the more stressed out i feel the more nauseous i feel, but i don't understand why it is making me feel sick as stress never used to make me nauseous.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #17
(male)

idkwia HB Useridkwia HB User

Ok Lowt, thanks. I have discovered that the anti-depressant Miratazapine is excellent for nausea apparently and will of course sort out your anxiety. May be worth a shot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #18
(male)

lowt HB User

Hi idkwia, iv'e allready tried Mirtazapine along with a shopping list of other Anti Depressants but none of them have stopped the nausea or even the anxiety.
Thanks for your input, i am still desperately trying to find some way of beating this condition, it's an awfull way to exist.
By the way did you know that Ideopathic Nausea is a diagnosis that Dr's make which simply means they don't know what is causing the nausea?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #19
(female)

psychcat HB User

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say that I'm right there with you. I'm so sick of feeling sick all the time.
I went to a new doctor last week and he found that my blood glucose was 100 mg/dl which is pre-diabetic. I don't know if this could be causing the nausea or not...
He also recommended taking vitamin B6 for nausea. It's in a lot of pre-natal vitamins because it helps w/ morning sickness.
I don't know what I would do without Mirtazapine. I'm sorry to the person who tried it without results, but it's been a lifesaver for me. I've also heard that Benadryl helps with nausea. It's like an OTC version of Phenergan (both antihistamines). Neither of these drugs help with my nausea, but maybe they might help somebody else. Ativan also has anti-emetic properties.
I'm still open to the possibility that this is psychosomatic, but every time I try to get onto an SSRI the nausea gets worse and I can't stand it. Has anyone else had good results with psychiatric drugs other than Remeron

Old 10-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
(male)

Lowt - Yes I did know that because I believe that idiopathic means cause unknown.

Psychat - Thanks for the post. Are you saying that Miratazapine really helps with your nausea? If so, I assume that it doesn't get rid of it completely otherwise you wouldn't be here.
Let us know how you get on with the B2 Vits please.
I am wondering why you are trying to get on to an SSRI when you are already taking an anti-depressant? Couldn't you just increase the amount of Miratazapine?

Last edited by idkwia; 10-12-2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #21
(female)

meirocco HB User

OMG i have been going through this for a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i so far my tests have come back clean besides the hiatal hernia from vomiting, the ulcers, from vomiting, and the esophigal and well they said it was a mess.....terrible so they have me on meds they stretched my esophigas twice but noone knows what the hell is wrong causing the nausea and vomiting..........

Old 11-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #22
(male)

KimberCT HB User

Same problem here, going on four years. The nausea is usually worst in the morning. I also suffer from anxiety which I believe is a symptom of the underlying disorder.

All tests have come back fine with the exception of the following:

Slight anemia
Low total testosterone
High fasting glucose (pre-diabetic)

Drugs I've taken for the nausea:

Amitriptyline - eliminated nausea, caused chest pains
Desipramine - eliminated nausea, caused chest pains
Mirtazapine - eliminated nausea, slept for 12+ hour a night
Ondansetron - eliminated nausea, caused headaches
Prochlorperazine - eliminated nausea, short-term use only, dangerous long term
Meclizine - eliminated nausea, long term side effects
Hydroxyzine - eliminated nausea, no short-term side effects, worried about long-term use
Promethazine - eliminated nausea, sedating, long term side effects
Doxylamine - eliminated nausea, very sedating
Alprazolam - eliminated nausea, addictive, physical dependence, withdrawal

So, right now I've been using 25mg hydroxyzine every morning for the past year. I'm worried about long term side effects like tardive dyskinesia. I believe hydroxyzine is an undocumented D2 antagonist, like many antipsychotic medications. This would explain why it is a better antiemetic than other antihistamines.

The next drug I plan on experimenting with is bupropion. Most of the drugs my gastroenterologist recommends are norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, so we figured we'd give this one a shot as well. It shouldn't give me chest pains like the tricyclic antidepressants listed above.

I'll also note that when I was on a low-carb diet, I felt great. This was a recent realization as it was several years ago that I did "Atkins". I'm going to try it again and see if it helps.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:37 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowt View Post
Hi idkwia, no solution to my nausea yet, have found that eating sweet foods can help with the nausea for a short time, but because of the high calories in these foods i have packed on the weight but feel too sick to exercise to try to get back in shape.
I know that stress is part of my nausea as the more stressed out i feel the more nauseous i feel, but i don't understand why it is making me feel sick as stress never used to make me nauseous.

So stress can make feel nausea. Just curious, because I wake up in the morning with anxiety and then I feel nausea throughout the day. I have this problem since I had my gallbladder removed and no doctor has an answer to my problem after going through multiple test.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #24
(male)

KimberCT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
So stress can make feel nausea. Just curious, because I wake up in the morning with anxiety and then I feel nausea throughout the day. I have this problem since I had my gallbladder removed and no doctor has an answer to my problem after going through multiple test.
Yep, stress and anxiety are definitely associated with nausea. Of the people I've talked to, most seem to have had some sort of high stress trigger than initiated the nausea. For me, it was losing my job and getting the flu at the same time.

On a side note, having you gallbladder removed inhibits your ability to digest alot of things which can make the nausea worse. Are you taking digestive enzymes already? I take the Source Naturals brand enzymes.

Last edited by KimberCT; 11-20-2009 at 07:00 AM.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #25
(male)

weavervet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungee3006 View Post
Hi guys. This is my first time posting, Im looking for people with chronic idiopathic nausea. Having recently been "diagnosed" after 3 years of terrible sympotoms, Im looking for others with this disorder. I can find barely any information online, and it seems that there are no recognised treatment plans. Just trial and error.
Its not strictly a digestive disorder, but with the symptom being nausea, I guess this is the board that would most closely fit.
I am taking:
Amitryplinine (with the hope it can prevent the nausea)
Metoclopramide (to eleviate symptoms)
Zofran (for a rescue remedy for bad nausea)

Anyone else going through this? And how are you managing your symptoms?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
(male)

weavervet HB User

My mother has severe intermittent nausea for 3 yrs after surgery to remove oart of her colon due to a cecal volvulus. She has a complicated medical history, but has been seen by 2 local Gi docs, endocrine, psych, inernists, and been to the GI specialty center at UNC hospital, to no avail. She has cycled through many drugs (like 20!) over this time period, none giving her any long term relief. She is about at the end of her rope. You realize, I hope , that Chronic Idiopathic Nausea is just a decription that means it has gone on a long time and we don't know what is causing it (yet)? I am investigating where to go and who to see next at a major referral center, as we continue to try and look into every medical possibility. For my Mom, the most likely issues yet to be investigated are better anti-depressants, scoping her esoph/stomach for GERD without reflux/vomiting/heartburn, a gastric-emptying test,and electrogastrography. She is currently on acid blockers, mirtazapine, and buspirone. Best of luck and I will post any breakthrus!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #27
(male)

One of the most frustrating things about these types of boards is that people post and you often don't hear from them again even though they may have found the solution to their problem. So I really hope that the people who have previously posted will see this and give us an update.

As for myself, my nausea remains. Had lots of tests and seen 8 different GI doctors. None of the drugs for nausea have helped me at all. Tried various elimination diets and various supplements to no avail.

However, I am currently on 15mg Mirtazapine which has helped, touch wood, at night time. Can the others here who are on this let me know the amounts they take of this please?

I am also currently doing hypnotherapy, acupuncture and taking Chinese Herbs but too early perhaps to judge the effectiveness.

A new doctor has suggested I take domperidone at 5mg 4 timese per day. I have read that in a research this did help a lot of people more than the placebo over a period of 4 weeks so I am giving it a shot.

For those of you on this board who admit to anxiety then I would strongly suggest that you get some gut directed hypnotherapy as I am convinced that this can help a lot of people. I don't suffer from anxiety but I thought I would try it anyway.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #28
(female)

psychcat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkwia View Post
One of the most frustrating things about these types of boards is that people post and you often don't hear from them again even though they may have found the solution to their problem. So I really hope that the people who have previously posted will see this and give us an update.

As for myself, my nausea remains. Had lots of tests and seen 8 different GI doctors. None of the drugs for nausea have helped me at all. Tried various elimination diets and various supplements to no avail.

However, I am currently on 15mg Mirtazapine which has helped, touch wood, at night time. Can the others here who are on this let me know the amounts they take of this please?

I am also currently doing hypnotherapy, acupuncture and taking Chinese Herbs but too early perhaps to judge the effectiveness.

A new doctor has suggested I take domperidone at 5mg 4 timese per day. I have read that in a research this did help a lot of people more than the placebo over a period of 4 weeks so I am giving it a shot.

For those of you on this board who admit to anxiety then I would strongly suggest that you get some gut directed hypnotherapy as I am convinced that this can help a lot of people. I don't suffer from anxiety but I thought I would try it anyway.

I was on 15 mg Mirtazapine (Remeron) as well as Prilosec OTC daily for about a yr. I would have periods of time, sometimes even months, when I would feel well but the nausea always returned. I'm finally pretty much off both drugs (I've been taking the Remeron about 1/wk, but hope to go off it entirely soon). What's helped me is 20 mg of Paxil every night at bedtime. I started taking it along with the Remeron so that the common nausea side effects wouldn't be as bothersome. I know it can be hard to think that a problem that feels so physical could have a psychological origin, but I'd recommend trying an SSRI, if anything just to rule out psychosomatic/hypochondriasis origins. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:27 AM   #29
(male)

Psychat - Thanks a lot for your answer. I am really pleased that you have found relief. However, both Remeron and Paxil are antideprssant drugs. They are different types but nevertheless are designed to do the same thing. There is no suggestion that someone is depressed when using them on a low dose for digestive issues but I am curious to know why you were keen to use an SSRI when you were already on an anti depressant?

Also, you were taking Prilosec which is something I am thinking of trying. Did you have any GERD with acid reflux? It is of course mainly for GERD with acid reflux but I have heard that sometimes people can have GERD with only nausea, was that the case for you please?

Last edited by idkwia; 01-26-2010 at 03:31 AM.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #30
(female)

Bungee3006 HB User

Hi Guys, I havent written for a while.
Its true, chronic idiopathic nausea is a diagnosis which is made after all other diagnosis have been looked into fully and discounted. I have no physical medical problems, I have been thoroughly examined by many many doctors, have had all the terrible tests that are possible, CT scans, MRI scans, scopes both for stomach and colon, gastric emptying studies etc etc, and they have found no medical physical problems. The cause of my nausea is, they think, chemically related in the brain. I am currently trying a cocktail of drugs to try and manage it as they have no idea how to make it go away!

I take 100mg of amitriptyline
25 mg clonazepam
20mg metoclopramide three times a day
Zofran for quick rescues

I have had some sucess with this combination, I can now live day to day, i still have nausea everyday but at a more managable level.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bungee3006 For This Useful Post:
tfried123 (01-10-2012)
Closed Thread