It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #31
(female)

psychcat HB User
Re: Anyone with Chronic idiopathic nausea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkwia View Post
Psychat - Thanks a lot for your answer. I am really pleased that you have found relief. However, both Remeron and Paxil are antideprssant drugs. They are different types but nevertheless are designed to do the same thing. There is no suggestion that someone is depressed when using them on a low dose for digestive issues but I am curious to know why you were keen to use an SSRI when you were already on an anti depressant?

Also, you were taking Prilosec which is something I am thinking of trying. Did you have any GERD with acid reflux? It is of course mainly for GERD with acid reflux but I have heard that sometimes people can have GERD with only nausea, was that the case for you please?

Hi again. While Remeron and Paxil are both antidepressants, Remeron does little for anxiety while Paxil is very effective for anxiety. Also, some people will respond to one antidepressant but not to others (hence all the different types of SSRIs, tricyclics, etc).

Remeron actually has anti-nausea effects completely separate from its psychiatric uses. If you google it, you'll find it's been used in cancer patients, for morning sickness, gastroparesis, etc.

I had nausea and occasional chest pain, but no actual burning or "reflux" feeling.

Good luck and I hope you find relief soon =)

Old 01-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #32
(male)

idkwia HB Useridkwia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungee3006 View Post
Hi Guys, I havent written for a while.
Its true, chronic idiopathic nausea is a diagnosis which is made after all other diagnosis have been looked into fully and discounted. I have no physical medical problems, I have been thoroughly examined by many many doctors, have had all the terrible tests that are possible, CT scans, MRI scans, scopes both for stomach and colon, gastric emptying studies etc etc, and they have found no medical physical problems. The cause of my nausea is, they think, chemically related in the brain. I am currently trying a cocktail of drugs to try and manage it as they have no idea how to make it go away!

I take 100mg of amitriptyline
25 mg clonazepam
20mg metoclopramide three times a day
Zofran for quick rescues

I have had some sucess with this combination, I can now live day to day, i still have nausea everyday but at a more managable level.
Bungee3006 - thanks for the update. Really pleased to hear that your nausea is at least more manageable.
You seem to have similar problems to me. May I ask if you just have nausea or are ther other symptoms?
In addition do you have anxiety or depression?
By the way, have you tried eliminating certain foods to see if you are have any intolerances?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #33
(female)

Bungee3006 HB User

Hi there,

I dont have any other symptoms apart from nausea. I have other medical conditions, but they are unrelated to the nausea.

I dont have an anxiety condition, however, I do now have anxiety from the anticipation of feeling nauseous. I also have no depression. My doctor has taken some suggestions from the treatment of Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome with regards to my "cocktail" and I have to say that it appears to be working. It took me a long time to find this doc however.

I have tried any elimination diets, wheat, eggs, dairy, sugars, caffiene, etc etc etc, all with no help whatsoever. I do try to eat little and often as opposed to large meals which just seem to sit in my stomach for hours and make the situation worse.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #34
(male)

lowt HB User

Hello, my nausea still remains although not quite as bad as it was, i still get really bad days but most days while not good are bearable.
I am taking 5mg Valium twice a day, 100mg Amitriptyline before bed and 10mg Domperidone 3 times a day before meals, the best anti nausea med for me is Phenergan.

I have tried most of the other meds that are mentioned in this thread but they haven't helped me, i noticed in one of the posts someone said that different Anti Depressant drugs work for different people and this is true, but i have been told by a top Psychiatrist that even with all of these different types of AD meds they are only successfull in bringing relief of depression in about 70% of cases.

I also think the Hypnotherapy option is worth exploring as i have purchased some CD's one for stress that did not help and one for Insomnia which did help me to sleep better.
I have tried Acupuncture but it did nothing for me, same result with chinese herbs.
I have also started using a Whey Protein powder which i think has helped a liitle bit, you can get them with added digestive enzymes which probably helps.

Anxiety is definitley a cause of nausea, my nausea is allways worse when my anxiety levels increase, and when coupled with chronic nausea it becomes a viscious cycle which is really hard to break.

Best of luck to all.

Quote:
One of the most frustrating things about these types of boards is that people post and you often don't hear from them again even though they may have found the solution to their problem. So I really hope that the people who have previously posted will see this and give us an update.

As for myself, my nausea remains. Had lots of tests and seen 8 different GI doctors. None of the drugs for nausea have helped me at all. Tried various elimination diets and various supplements to no avail.

However, I am currently on 15mg Mirtazapine which has helped, touch wood, at night time. Can the others here who are on this let me know the amounts they take of this please?

I am also currently doing hypnotherapy, acupuncture and taking Chinese Herbs but too early perhaps to judge the effectiveness.

A new doctor has suggested I take domperidone at 5mg 4 timese per day. I have read that in a research this did help a lot of people more than the placebo over a period of 4 weeks so I am giving it a shot.

For those of you on this board who admit to anxiety then I would strongly suggest that you get some gut directed hypnotherapy as I am convinced that this can help a lot of people. I don't suffer from anxiety but I thought I would try it anyway.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #35
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungee3006 View Post
Hi there,

I dont have any other symptoms apart from nausea. I have other medical conditions, but they are unrelated to the nausea.

I dont have an anxiety condition, however, I do now have anxiety from the anticipation of feeling nauseous. I also have no depression. My doctor has taken some suggestions from the treatment of Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome with regards to my "cocktail" and I have to say that it appears to be working. It took me a long time to find this doc however.

I have tried any elimination diets, wheat, eggs, dairy, sugars, caffiene, etc etc etc, all with no help whatsoever. I do try to eat little and often as opposed to large meals which just seem to sit in my stomach for hours and make the situation worse.
Bungee3006 - apologies if this has been mentioned before but you say that food sits in your stomach for hours, have you had a gastric emptying test which essentially tests for things like gastroparesis and strictures in the opening to the small intestine?

Old 01-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #36
(male)

weavervet HB User

Quote:
Bungee3006 - apologies if this has been mentioned before but you say that food sits in your stomach for hours, have you had a gastric emptying test which essentially tests for things like gastroparesis and strictures in the opening to the small intestine?
Two excellent facilities with Drs who specialize in Chronic Nausea are Mayo Clinic Rochester and Wake Forest University Baptist Med Center (Dr Kenneth Koch in particular). The Mayo site is big, but has good info on the various conditions that they work with, as well as lots of links when you Google it.

The Following User Says Thank You to weavervet For This Useful Post:
kubla17 (12-20-2011)
Old 01-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #37
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavervet View Post
Two excellent facilities with Drs who specialize in Chronic Nausea are Mayo Clinic Rochester and Wake Forest University Baptist Med Center (Dr Kenneth Koch in particular). The Mayo site is big, but has good info on the various conditions that they work with, as well as lots of links when you Google it.
Thanks a lot for this. I am in the UK otherwise I would go and see them. If anyone here does see them then please report back and let us know what heppened.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #38
(female)

pille HB User

This is the 1st time I have ever been on a message board. Chronic nausea for 6 years now. I have had many tests and tried many meds like it sounds all of you have and nothing seems to work. I also have migraines and the neurologist seems to think that is what is causing my nausea but I am not convinced this is the case, no releif from either one. I am beginning to think perhaps there are other causes. I don't have any insurance anymore but I am suspect of pancreatic issues perhaps. Have any of you noticed a burning/ kind of pain that kind of is in your back ocassionally opposite the nausea when you have strenuous exercise or wash dishes (for example). Have any of your doctors considered autoimmune disease? I appreciate the message board also nausea 24 hours a day is so awful no one would ever wish that or have that for a psycho-somatic illness besides its a symptom so I think there has to be an underlying cause. I too hope everyone continues to stay in touch if they find something that really works or an answer.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #39
(male)

Pille - welcome to the message board.
I don't have any burning or kind of pain that goes through to the back. Are you sure it isn't your gallbladder as that can cause that kind of pain if it is central or on the right side?

My doctor was going to refer me to a neurologist as he suggested that I might have abdominal migraines but he changed his mind for the moment as I don't have any headaches.

I am not 100% certain if autoimmune diseases have been considered but I understand that many of those types of diseases can be picked up in blood tests and I have had a lot of those. What makes you ask?

Something that may interest all here is that I have been in touch with several people who made posts a few years ago complaining of chronic nausea. I asked them if they managed to find a solution. One of them said that it turned out to be her gallbladder. Another was found to have a vestibular disorder. Another said he had discovered he was extremely intolerant of fructose. And another said that she had been 95% cured since taking up Chi Kung. She also said that she had found she was intolerant of sugar. So it seems that if we keep searching we may be lucky and find a solution so let us all stay in touch here just in case one of us finds something that might help some others.

In the meantime has anyone tried cyclizine or promethazine and if so did either of them help with the nausea?

Last edited by idkwia; 02-12-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #40
(male)

magyar2009 HB User

Quote:
Pille - welcome to the message board.
I don't have any burning or kind of pain that goes through to the back. Are you sure it isn't your gallbladder as that can cause that kind of pain if it is central or on the right side?

My doctor was going to refer me to a neurologist as he suggested that I might have abdominal migraines but he changed his mind for the moment as I don't have any headaches.

I am not 100% certain if autoimmune diseases have been considered but I understand that many of those types of diseases can be picked up in blood tests and I have had a lot of those. What makes you ask?

Something that may interest all here is that I have been in touch with several people who made posts a few years ago complaining of chronic nausea. I asked them if they managed to find a solution. One of them said that it turned out to be her gallbladder. Another was found to have a vestibular disorder. Another said he had discovered he was extremely intolerant of fructose. And another said that she had been 95% cured since taking up Chi Kung. She also said that she had found she was intolerant of sugar. So it seems that if we keep searching we may be lucky and find a solution so let us all stay in touch here just in case one of us finds something that might help some others.

In the meantime has anyone tried cyclizine or promethazine and if so did either of them help with the nausea?
Hello

I have been taking promethazine (Phenergen) for years, for me it helps when my nausea is severe to a certain extent but does not get rid of it completely. It does make me extremely drowsy so I dont take it on a regular basis. I wonder how you discover that you are intolorant to fructose? That sounds interesting. Does anyone here smoke? Lets keep in touch and find a solution to this nausea issue. K.S.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #41
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magyar2009 View Post
Hello

I have been taking promethazine (Phenergen) for years, for me it helps when my nausea is severe to a certain extent but does not get rid of it completely. It does make me extremely drowsy so I dont take it on a regular basis. I wonder how you discover that you are intolorant to fructose? That sounds interesting. Does anyone here smoke? Lets keep in touch and find a solution to this nausea issue. K.S.
Magyar2009 - thanks for the tip about promethazine. I am wondering if the drowsiness lessens after you have taken it for a while.

You can take a breath test for frustose intolerance. Or you can cut out fructose for 2 weeks and if you feel better then you will know. You will have to do a little research as fructose is in foods that you wouldn't expect.

Of course it is possible to be intolerant to other foods which can also cause digestive system problems.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #42
(female)

jackbenny HB User

hi im 28yr old girl ive being suffering with very bad nausea for 3 yrs now on and off ive had loads of tests done it showed i had gastritis but every other test was fine i have acid reflux im on lanzporol i was also on maxolon but they dont help i have trid loads of things which didnt work my doc said it could be stress so i have turned to acupunture i only had 1 treatment so i dont know if its working yet im also on amitriptline 25mg a day for a year now

Old 02-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #43
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbenny View Post
hi im 28yr old girl ive being suffering with very bad nausea for 3 yrs now on and off ive had loads of tests done it showed i had gastritis but every other test was fine i have acid reflux im on lanzporol i was also on maxolon but they dont help i have trid loads of things which didnt work my doc said it could be stress so i have turned to acupunture i only had 1 treatment so i dont know if its working yet im also on amitriptline 25mg a day for a year now
Welcome. You have gastritis and you have acid reflux, these are medical conditions and it seems perfectly logical that these are causing your nausea. Chronic Idiopathic Nausea means that there is no known cause.
Lansoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor which is designed to lessen the production of stomach acid, however they don't always work. Your doctor can do a test I think it is called a 24hr PH test which can establish how much acid your stomach is producing with and without lansoprazole to establish if the pills are doing their job or not. If not then they can try something else. It seems to me that you should sack your doctor and find one that will help you.
Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs may help but it seems very strange that your doctor isn't assisting. Have you had a gastric emptying test done?
I have Chronic Idiopathic Nausea (CIN) and I am having acupuncture and Chinese Herbs, I have had 15 sessions but no real improvement so far but I will try a few more times.
I also came a across a girl who had CIN and she was cured by Chi Kung even though she was very very sceptical so I have just started myself.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #44
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User
Talking Re: Anyone with Chronic idiopathic nausea?

hi
i have also been told i have chronic idiopathic nausea. i have had it for weeks and have not been able to work.
i had an endoscopy and they found a small ulcer but nothing big enough to cause my constant nausea.
i also had CT scans of abdomen, pelvis and brain and all that was clear.
im on 15 mg amitryptiline, and sometime motilium and zofran if its bad.
i still feel very very nauseous.
would people recommend mirtazepine instead?
how much do you need to take to feel better?

thanks

Old 03-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #45
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl2 View Post
hi
i have also been told i have chronic idiopathic nausea. i have had it for weeks and have not been able to work.
i had an endoscopy and they found a small ulcer but nothing big enough to cause my constant nausea.
i also had CT scans of abdomen, pelvis and brain and all that was clear.
im on 15 mg amitryptiline, and sometime motilium and zofran if its bad.
i still feel very very nauseous.
would people recommend mirtazepine instead?
how much do you need to take to feel better?

thanks
Sorry to hear you also have Chronic Idiopathic Nausea. I take 15mg Mirtazapine at bedtime. My doctor suggests I should double it now. It doesn't get rid of the nausea fully but it does make me sleep better.
Have you been treated for your ulcer?
If you have an ulcer you could have helicobacter pylori because ulcers are caused by this and H Pylori can definitely cause nausea, have you been tested for H Pylori?
I want to stay in touch with all people who have CIN as I feel we can help each other so please feel free to PM me.

Closed Thread