It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #46
(female)

jackbenny HB User
Re: Anyone with Chronic idiopathic nausea?

hi again the acupuncture hassnt worked my doc hasnt done any more tests they think its all in my head saying its stress related im really goin to change my doc hope u find a cure ginger tea is good take care

Old 03-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #47
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkwia View Post
Sorry to hear you also have Chronic Idiopathic Nausea. I take 15mg Mirtazapine at bedtime. My doctor suggests I should double it now. It doesn't get rid of the nausea fully but it does make me sleep better.
Have you been treated for your ulcer?
If you have an ulcer you could have helicobacter pylori because ulcers are caused by this and H Pylori can definitely cause nausea, have you been tested for H Pylori?
I want to stay in touch with all people who have CIN as I feel we can help each other so please feel free to PM me.
Hi
thanks for your response. I am being treated for the ulcer ( pariet and zantac 300mg at night) and it was negative for h pylori bacterium.
i wondered if anyone has tried amitryptline first then found mirtazapine better?
ive only been on the 15 mg of amitryptline for 2 days but today is the first day i have not had severe nausea all day. I also took motilium before breakfast and lunch as well.
the amitryptline makes me so tired in the mornings though?
do you find that with mirtazapine?

thanks for any ideas...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #48
(male)

idkwia HB Useridkwia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl2 View Post
Hi
thanks for your response. I am being treated for the ulcer ( pariet and zantac 300mg at night) and it was negative for h pylori bacterium.
i wondered if anyone has tried amitryptline first then found mirtazapine better?
ive only been on the 15 mg of amitryptline for 2 days but today is the first day i have not had severe nausea all day. I also took motilium before breakfast and lunch as well.
the amitryptline makes me so tired in the mornings though?
do you find that with mirtazapine?

thanks for any ideas...
It takes more than 4 - 6 weeks before the full effect of drugs such as amitriptyline and mirtazapine to work. Any initial side effects you get should wear off after about a week as your body get used to them. You should take them just before going to bed as any drowsiness will be useful to make you sleep and most should have worn off by the morning. All of these type of anti-depressant drugs can work for problems such as yours but you need to give amitriptyline a good try first as it can be very effective. You are only taking a very low dose and it may be likely that your doctor will want to increase it after a while.
An ulcer can indeed cause nausea and so it may well be when you ulcer is dealt with you may get better.
As far as changing to mirtazapine is concerned you should discuss it with your doctor but I would certainly give amitriptyline a good try first.
Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #49
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

Quote:
It takes more than 4 - 6 weeks before the full effect of drugs such as amitriptyline and mirtazapine to work. Any initial side effects you get should wear off after about a week as your body get used to them. You should take them just before going to bed as any drowsiness will be useful to make you sleep and most should have worn off by the morning. All of these type of anti-depressant drugs can work for problems such as yours but you need to give amitriptyline a good try first as it can be very effective. You are only taking a very low dose and it may be likely that your doctor will want to increase it after a while.
An ulcer can indeed cause nausea and so it may well be when you ulcer is dealt with you may get better.
As far as changing to mirtazapine is concerned you should discuss it with your doctor but I would certainly give amitriptyline a good try first.
Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.
thanks. i will keep on the amitryptline. its been less than a week so i was hoping things would be better by now! my nausea is back today though not as bad. i will keep u posted on how i am going.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #50
(female)

fedupanne HB User

hi there, read my post "fedupanne" and let me know if it sound familiar. thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #51
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedupanne View Post
hi there, read my post "fedupanne" and let me know if it sound familiar. thanks
hi fedupanne
i just read your posts.
how are you feeling now?
have you tried to take either amitryptline or mirtazapine for the nausea?
i take domperidone but only one tablet a day in the mornings, usually

im on 20 mgs of amitryptline at night and it does help but the side effects are pretty bad

Old 03-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #52
(male)

Quote:
hi fedupanne
i just read your posts.
how are you feeling now?
have you tried to take either amitryptline or mirtazapine for the nausea?
i take domperidone but only one tablet a day in the mornings, usually

im on 20 mgs of amitryptline at night and it does help but the side effects are pretty bad
Has the amitriptyline helped with your nausea, and if so how much so far, 100%?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #53
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

Quote:
Has the amitriptyline helped with your nausea, and if so how much so far, 100%?
Hi
I am on 20 mgs amitryptiline at night. i would say the nausea is better by 80 per cent. i still feel sick in the mornings. I have to eat really regularly and often..(small things) but i am still off work sick. the real test is feeling well enough to work again. ( I have a great job which i really miss)
i dont know whether to try the mirtazapine as i have read that withdrawing from amitryptline is difficult.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #54
(male)

Quote:
Hi
I am on 20 mgs amitryptiline at night. i would say the nausea is better by 80 per cent. i still feel sick in the mornings. I have to eat really regularly and often..(small things) but i am still off work sick. the real test is feeling well enough to work again. ( I have a great job which i really miss)
i dont know whether to try the mirtazapine as i have read that withdrawing from amitryptline is difficult.
Please don't think that Mirtazapine is some sort of miracle drug. All anti-depressant type drugs have to be reduced slowly when coming off them.
I have been on 15mg of Mirtazapine and my nausea is just as bad. I am now going to increase to 30mg and will let you know how I get on.
To be honest I am thinking of trying Amitriptyline because I keep reading about good results. By the way, 20mgs of Amitriptyline is very, very low. If it has improved your nausea by 80% then maybe you should think about increasing it. These drugs are quite safe to take for many years and some people take them most of their lives. In your case you are only trying to get rid of the nausea and then maybe continue for 6 months and then come off it slowly. If you come off it slowly you shouldn't get an withdrawal symptoms.
Keep me posted.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #55
(male)

lowt HB User

Hi, i just read the last few posts and thought i'd let you know that i have tried mirtazapine for 4 months and it did not help me.
I am currently taking amitriptyline 100mg and it has not helped much either, i'm taking it as you are to try and stop nausea, but i have developed severe depression after 3 years of nausea and the amitriptyline hasn't helped with that either.
As for side effects coming off AD meds i've had the same side effects as when i start taking them, the best advice is small increases or reductions in dosage when starting or stopping.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #56
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowt View Post
Hi, i just read the last few posts and thought i'd let you know that i have tried mirtazapine for 4 months and it did not help me.
I am currently taking amitriptyline 100mg and it has not helped much either, i'm taking it as you are to try and stop nausea, but i have developed severe depression after 3 years of nausea and the amitriptyline hasn't helped with that either.
As for side effects coming off AD meds i've had the same side effects as when i start taking them, the best advice is small increases or reductions in dosage when starting or stopping.
Hi everyone
thanks so much for these posts. it really means so much to know that someone else is feeling the same, though I wouldn't wish this nausea on anyone.
I might ask the doc about increasing dose of amitryptline to 25mgs. I am also still taking one motilium in the mornings as well. (i read that morning nausea is most likely related to gastroparesis.. so the motilium helps)

Lowt, can you take another antidepressant as well as the amitryptline? I am sorry you are not feeling better. what I have tried to do is to really appreciate those times in the day when i do not feel sick... and just try to get through the times when i do feel nausea.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #57
(male)

lowt HB User

G'day Aussie girl, some AD meds can be taken together usually if they are 2 different types, what i mean by this is that there are different classes of AD meds that work in different ways.
Best advice is to talk to your dr or in the case of AD meds a Psychiatrist.
Hope you feel better soon.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #58
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

hi
i am back at work today but the nausea has returned so im going to take 30 mgs of amitryptline and see if that helps.
my doctor said there was a warning on domperidome.
is that something that many of you take?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #59
(male)

lowt HB User

Quote:
hi
i am back at work today but the nausea has returned so im going to take 30 mgs of amitryptline and see if that helps.
my doctor said there was a warning on domperidome.
is that something that many of you take?
Yes i take Motilium (domperidone) i haven't had any side effects but i don't think it has really helped though, but i can't be sure because iv'e been taking it for so long that i can't remember exactly how bad i felt when i started taking it.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #60
(male)

lowt HB User

The Gastro Dr that i saw in Melbourne said that you need to be taking Endep (Amitriptyline) at a dose of 40-50mg to get an effect that may reduce or eliminate nausea.

Closed Thread