It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
(male)

Badstomach1978 HB User
Unhappy 9 Years of Nausea. Please Help.

Hello everybody.

I'm writing all the way from Finland hoping I could get some information from here. It's horrible to read how many people have unexplained stomach problems. I hope that all of you get well soon. I've had nausea for 9 years now and I really need help to figure out what's wrong with me because it really ruins my life.

Here's my story...

All started (9 years ago) when I ate pike-perch. After 4 hours I suddenly started vomiting violently until my stomach was completely empty, then I vomited some more. After about 2 weeks later I had "vomiting" which lasted couple weeks. 2 moths later I ate pike-perch again and exactly the same pattern repeated, but more violently (3 other persons ate the same food both times with no symptoms). From that moment I've had nausea everyday and had 3 times over week lasting "vomitings" in 4 months (nobody got it from me, so it wasn't contagious). Vomiting decreased little by little until I vomited only couple times a month but it never stopped until after 2 years when I stopped using milk (in its entirety, lactos-free didn't help). I think that somewhat this point I started to have very soft stools too. Later I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance althought I never had problems with milk before, until after that pike-perch incident. Nowadays I have to go to bathroom every morning (sometimes in real hurry) and it doesn't matter how loose my stool is, I usually don't have to visit bathroom again that day.

Some symptoms:
- Daily nausea, usually worse in the morning. Comes and goes without warning. Might get much worse in a matter of seconds and vice versa.
- Sometimes gets really bad, then continuous nausea lasting from days to weeks.
- Eating relieves nausea in 80% of cases from couple minutes to some hours.
- Tiredness and mild dizziness (especially when intense nausea)
- Bubbling and growling (growling usually after some hours from last meal and comes often with very unpleasant feeling and nausea)
- A lot of Burping (with or without nausea but burping might sometimes help)
- Often strong pressure (or something like that) feeling just under the breastbone and/or near navel.
- Soft stools (doesn't bother me but worth mentioning)

I Don't have Any Pain or Constipation.
For Several years No heartburn, then some, and now I have used acid-reducing drugs for about a year.

Some things I have tested :
- Many Prescription drugs (nausea, speed up stomach emptying etc.)
- Natural product-diet for Yeast Syndrome which made me feel worse and I started vomiting again (not often though).
- All kinds of diets to exclude food allergies.
- Acid-reducing drugs (used almost a year now)
- Lactic acid bacteria etc.
- Natural Digestive Enzyme Supplements
- Fiber-products (should make stools harder)

Tested with :
- gastroscopy (2 times, first time nothing and after several years sliding hiatal hernia).
- Colonoscopy (2 times but never got farther than descending colon.).
- CT-Scan (don't know how wide)
- Wide ranged blood work, everything's ok.
- Stool test: Blastocystis Hominis, treated with 400mg Trikozol but never checked if the parasite was removed.
- Ultrasound : kidneyparenchymas echo was was near livers echo (or something). It's not common but these variations can occur (said the paper I got)
- H. pylori negative

Extra notices which probably have nothing to do with my sickness but then again...
- Can't play 3d first person shooter games nor watch movies filmed with handheld camera-style couple minutes longer without getting badly motion sick. Except for the bad eyesight and cylinders my eyes should be ok, at least that's what the optician said.
- Pike-Perch was fished from a lake with quite high concentrations of mercury and I have Amalgam fillings in 5 of my teeth.

Thank you for reading this.
I would be very grateful if someone has any idea of what might be the cause of my sickness.
I wish you all the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User
Re: 9 Years of Nausea. Please Help.

Actually, what do you eat? What are your daily meals like? How old are you? About thirty? And what kind of job do you have?

Last edited by pendulum; 11-14-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Have you been tested for Celiac Disease?

I think you should get retested for Blastocystis Hominis, just in case. The medication for it doesn't always work 100% and you end up reinfected.

Mercury poisoning doesn't usually present as chronic nausea and/or diarrhea.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:02 AM   #4
(male)

Badstomach1978 HB User

Hello AuntieLeela and pendulum.

Just turned 30. Underweight (incase someone needs to know)

I try to keep a diet fit to GERD but it really doesn't help.
Little by little my diet got narrower when testing if food is the one to blame.
I haven't noticed much connection between any ingredient and nausea (except milk and tee) but yet I'm afraid to start eating (for example red meat) after being moths without it.
Don't use the following at all: coffee/tee, milk, sodas, Red meat, candy, chocolate. Also I stopped smoking and using alcohol years ago.
I used to do sports (gym,jogging etc) but stopped those too because of my condition.

I eat a lot these (nowadays basically everyday) : chicken, rise or macaroni, some vegetables and soya/coconut.

Normally oatmeal porridge or white bread in the morning,2-3 small hot meals during the day + some other little snacks (like fruits or bread). My most strict diet was about 2 months when I eated just pork, water, cucumber, rise ,salt and applejuice... Nothing else (even No spices or food additives). But no help

I've been unemployed for 3 years now. I had a good job I was able to do from home with my own timetable but then the company was sold. Now I would have to get a job in about 2 months cause then I stop getting money... I'm really stressed now, yet nausea is not any worse.

I have tested for Celiac when I was in gastroscopy. Don't have it.
That Blastocystis Hominis is little more complicated. Here the doctors think that it causes no symptoms and I got Trikozol just in case there were parasites which didn't show in test and the doctor didn't want to test me again.

Also one extra notice. There's no smell in our house but I suspect there might be mold. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my nausea cause this all started from that pike-perch incident.

Hope I didn't write too much useless information... it's just that I wan't to mention everyting that comes to my mind.

Have a nice day.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

Thanks. You know, I have never seen or eaten a pikeperch. I don't think pikeperches are common on this corner of the world (I am in Brazil).

I would like to propose an eating plan for you. You don't have much to lose if you simply try it out, but it's up to you of course. I hope you can still buy some of these food items and have someone help you to cook and prepare your meals:

Breakfast: oatmeal (made with water) OR two or three slices of white bread + one or two boiled eggs (if you don't like eggs, have ham or some other cold meat instead - don't be afraid!) + half a glass of lukewarm water or herbal tea (if you can tolerate herbal tea)

Have some light activity

Lunch: rice or noodles or potatoes + chicken or fish fillet or red meat (don't fear eating a little red meat) + a little cooked veggies (carrots, turnips, marrow, or courgette - avoid greens) + half a glass of raw vegetable juice (ideally you should have a juicer) + (if still hungry) a little homemade fruit jam + half a glass of lukewarm water.
(After a few weeks, replace the juice with a little raw veggies, maybe grated, or with some greens).

Rest after lunch, take a nap if possible

snack (17 PM): warm weather: a few berries OR a quarter of an apple or of a pear; cold weather: a ripe banana OR some cooked apple (no sugar added) (don't mix different fruits; don't eat bread/carbs for this snack, and skip it if not hungry at all.)

Walk in nature (if temperature not very low) or exercise yourself (yoga, for instance) lightly.

Rest before dinner

dinner (two hours later): potatoes + chicken + a little cooked veggies (no greens) + half a glass of raw veggie juice + (if still hungry) some homemade fruit jam + half a glass of lukewarm water.

Read, watch TV, listen to music, go out, talk to friends and girls, whatever. Don't isolate yourself. You don't have to drink alcohol when you go out.
Warm bath before going to bed, and sleep as long as possible.
Avoid dairy, nuts, overeating, junk foods.
Chew well. Eat in a peaceful environment. Don't eat between meals.

One day in the week, always the same, have veggie soup (potatoes + carrots + turnips etc) for the three meals, and no other food. This soup will alow your stomach to rest and heal by itself.

Last edited by pendulum; 11-15-2008 at 06:26 AM.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
(female)

abeautifulash HB User

Your symptoms sound remarkably similar to mine. I've had intense nausea for 2 and 1/2 years now. Dizziness and other awful symptoms too. Went through all sorts of tests and cop-out diagnoses before getting to the root of the problem: my gallbladder isn't functioning right. Doctor finally diagnosed me with biliary dyskinesia. I don't have gallstones or anything like that, but my gallbladder isn't contracting properly, and it has absolutely wrecked my life.... like you, I can't even leave home to work or anything. I would recommend getting a gallbladder function test... not sure if they have those where you live, but they do in the US. Feel better!

Old 11-16-2008, 04:18 AM   #7
(male)

Badstomach1978 HB User

Hello to Brazil Pendulum

Thanks for seeing so much effort writing such a detailed eating plan.
After trying so many different diet I’m little doubtful that any diet would do much difference to my nausea. Your plan sounds very nice though and I really would like to have more versatile diet. I already use quite a lot of those ingredients you mention so I think I start adding little by little more veggies, fruits and red meat without disturbing my stomach and then start following your plan more closely. That veggie soup for one day a week sounds a very good idea… definitely going to try.

What comes to those everyday activities… other this I already do quite a lot (I sleep alot, watch tv, “relax”) but what comes to those social activities, I can’t much influence on that before my nausea at least eases a little.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:22 AM   #8
(male)

Badstomach1978 HB User

Hi abeautifulash

Thank you for answering. I’ve been in some kind of CT-scan which sounds quite like the HIDA scan they use to diagnose biliary dyskinesia. I had to drink slime-like liquid and I wasn’t allowed to go to bathroom. In the scan something was injected into my vein which made a warm feeling going down (I think that it was the radioactive stuff How long did your scan take time? Mine took only couple minutes.
I tried to read about biliary dyskinesia and very often it is said that pain would almost always occur in such cases. Did you have any pain or feelings where the gall bladder is? I just wondered cause I have no pain etc.
Did you have any other symptoms, like if you noticed any difference how often you had to go to the bathroom?

Sorry about all the questions but they might get handy when I see my doctor next time. It’s very hard to get tested here (I have to wait over a month just to get appointment to my own general practitioner) so I have to have good arguments before I can convince doctors to do something.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hello to Finland!

Yes, have only three meals a day (no carb snack), do the soup, rest as much as possible, and you will be fine. That's what I hope.

Cheers,

Pendulum.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
(female)

abeautifulash HB User

Hi badstomach1978,

I asked my doctor for a CCK untrasound rather than a "HIDA scan" because it sounded more accurate. They did an ultrasound of my gallbladder to measure it, then injected a CCK fluid into my arm (that would essentially tell my gallbladder that I'd just eaten a huge hamburger and it needed to get moving to digest all the fat), and then 15 minutes later they did an ultrasound of my gallbladder again to see if it shrunk/contracted the proper amount. They did this twice -- the second time, they doubled the dose of CCK. A "normal" gallbladder has an ejection fraction of 40% or higher. Mine was only 18%, and the CCK stuff reproduced all of my worst symptoms (I thought I was going to pass out).

I do have some pain associated with the gallbladder but it's not all that bad and really hardly worth mentioning compared to the intense nausea. I would say that even though you don't have any "pain," all the nausea could still be pointing to the gallbladder. Certainly worth investigating. I didn't even know I had trouble digesting fats until I was diagnosed, cut the fat out of my diet, and then tried eating pizza... THEN I noticed the difference. But I still have a ton of nausea even on a low-fat diet. It's really hard to function this way.

When I first got sick almost 3 years ago, I had a whole lot of diarrhea and such, it was awful, I lost a LOT of weight (and I'm very thin to begin with). The doctors diagnosed me with IBS and completely overlooked my gallbladder. The diarrhea eventually got a little better, but I still get it once and a while and my digestion is never working like it should. Apparently gallbladders can have a lot to do with loose stools because of too much/too little bile and inability to digest fats properly.

One thing you might try, if you haven't already, is digestive enzymes and hydroclauric acid with meals. Also try carrot juice and other vegetable juices, at least 2-3 glasses a day, because they are more nourishing and healing to your body than any other food/drinks you could possibly eat. I'm trying to do these things, and at the very least, they are helping my digestion a little and giving me a little more energy.

Feeling nauseous all the time is really hard. Social activities are pretty much impossible for me, too. I haven't been out to hang out with friends in... I don't know, at least 6 months. And even then I was fighting hard to pretend the whole time that I didn't feel sick to my stomach and dizzy. I can't go out for coffee, or to shop at the mall, or go see a movie... I can't even have friends over because I feel so nauseous all the time. At least I have my husband and my pets, but I'm so tired of living like this!

Hope you are finding some kind of resolution to your own nausea, keep us all posted.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #11
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi abeautifulash,

My Dr has suspected a low functioning gallbladder. I too have nausea, though some days are better than others. I also have slight discomfort in the area of my gallbladder and slightly elevated liver enzymes.

I have yet to have a HIDA scan but did have an ultrasound of my abdomen which showed no gallstones.

My question to you is: what does your Dr recommend as far as treatment? Has surgery been considered?

I hate the thought of surgery only to not feel better afterward which I know happens to some people.

Chantal

Last edited by Chantal231; 11-17-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: missed a word

Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #12
(female)

abeautifulash HB User

Hi Chantal,

The only treatment my doctor recommended was gallbladder removal. He said he (and the medical field) doesn't know of any way to actually make a gallbladder function properly again.

After reading of so many stories of people living with the same or worse symptoms (nausea, pain, diarrhea, intolorance to fatty foods) after gallbladder removal, I wasn't about to just agree to have my gallbladder taken right out. I told my doctor this and he told me it's true that they can't guarantee any improvement after surgery and that some patients do end up with long-term side effects from it. I've heard that about 70% of people feel at least a little better after surgery... but I don't want to be one of the 30% that feels the same, or worse, for the rest of my life!

I didn't want to just rely on "woe" stories to base my decision on, so I did a lot of research on my own about the gallbladder, how it functions, and how the body functions without a gallbladder. And honestly I don't agree with doctors who just wave the gallbladder off as an unneccessary organ. It really plays an important role in digestion and its no wonder people suffer from having a gallbladder that doesn't work properly, or from not having one at all!

Anyway I decided about a month or two ago to put off surgery for a while and try to actually heal my gallbladder using natural remedies. If nothing else, it's worth a shot. I've heard many testimonies of people healing themselves of all sorts of "incurable" diseases (including cancer) using fresh vegetable juices, raw healthy foods, exercise and vitamins. I actually cured myself from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (an "incurable" illness) by doing those things about 7 years ago. So I'm hopeful that it will work for my gallbladder... still, it's hard to be patient. And it's hard to stay motivated. I've been sick for over 2 and 1/2 years now, and I'd really like to feel well again!

If I go a good while longer without improvement, I'll certainly consider the surgery. I'd like to exhaust my other options first though, and right now I couldn't afford surgery anyway because insurance isn't covering anything gallbladder related and I'm already swamped in medical bills from the tests and doctor visits.

With all that said, hopefully you don't have a low functioning gallbladder because it really isn't fun to deal with! But regardless, I hope that you find a resolution soon! Feel free to ask any more questions.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
(male)

Badstomach1978 HB User

Hello abeautifulash.
Thanks for answering again.

Your symptoms and the way they influence your life sounds like which makes me sad. Yeah, it's true that it sometimes helps to know that your not the only one, but then again it makes me sad to know that so many other people have to suffer like this.

I don't know why I haven't heard of this biliary dyskinesia before. I have to talk to my doctor

about that and CCK ultrasound. Althought, biliary dyskinesia is one thing I don't want to have cause getting gallbladder removed might make things worse, as you said. But this is getting so wearing that if I get diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia and nothing else is found, I will propably go to the surgery, I just don't know what to do if it made me feel worse.
Also there is that hiatal hernia which might cause nausea too in some patients but I think that surgery is as risky as removing gallbladder.

I lost a lot of weight too and as you, very thin to begin with. Familiar people always remember to remind me how thin I am as I could do something about it.

Hope that you figure out some diet that helps. I will try those vegetable juices/soups. I have tried digestive enzymes without help. Haven't tried that acid but since I'm on acid reducing drugs, that might not work for me.

It's depressing to always live minute by minute, you can't promise anything, you just have to say "yes, if I can". It's crazy that the most simple daily things (like that going to the mall) are just too big tasks to complete. Maybe someday...

Try to hang in there.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #14
(male)

eihcet HB User

[QUOTE=Badstomach1978;3799471]Hello abeautifulash.
Hope that you figure out some diet that helps. I will try those vegetable juices/soups. I have tried digestive enzymes without help. Haven't tried that acid but since I'm on acid reducing drugs, that might not work for me. /QUOTE]

A couple of comments:

If you have low functioning gallbladder and are on PPI antacids--there was a medical study that showed that PPI's reduced gallbladder motility. Thus, it could be making some symptoms worse while making other symptoms better.

As for low stomach acid (Hypochlorhydria), I've read the symptoms of low-stomach acid are similar to too much acid. I'm not sure if it's a condition diagnosed by medical doctors, or if it's one of those naturalpath type diagnosis (like Leaky Gut, etc). There does seem to be some science behind it, but, I really don't know.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:15 AM   #15
(male)

Badstomach1978 HB User

Hello eihcet.

I have read about that low-stomach acid too. Problem is that even if studies show that low-stomach acid is a real problem and the symptoms are same as in high-stomach acid, here in Finland it takes a lot of time (years I think) before they use the information. I've seen specialized doctors who say that milk protein allergy and yeast (syndrome) doesn't exist. They don't even suspect that Blastocystis Hominis could be the problem. And when I mentioned to one of the doctors about that motion sickness I easily get (I thought I mention it just in case)... he gave a laugh at me.
Only now my lifesituation is cornering me so I think that at some point I'm going to break down at doctors appointment ... maybe then they will take me seriously ...or threat me like a mental patient. I think there's still a lot tests to do but they don't just want to do couse it costs.

"...there was a medical study that showed that PPI's reduced gallbladder motility"

That I didn't know... Was this one medical study and how trustworthy was this study. If I'm going to mention this to a doctor, I’d like it to be well studied. I think I google about it.

Thank you for letting me know about this and have a good day.

Closed Thread