It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

Microsludge HB User
Red face Dysfunctional Gallblader?

Help!!! I have been experiencing the same horrible triad of symptoms for 2 months now. After countless MD visits-still no answers. The symptoms are as follows 1.) taste & tongue disturbances - sour/mettalic taste, coated tongue which sometimes is swollen 2.) epigastric pain not related to food consumption 3.) loose, smelly & greasy orange bowel movments; again, not related to what I eat. The mouth & "diarrhea" are every day the pain fluctuates, but is not daily. Thank goodness!

So far, I have had an endoscopic ultrasound with a bile aspiration which showed no microscopic disease. A reguylar ultrasound which showed no stones and a negative CT. My GI is essentially through with his work-up of me atating that a HIDA scan assessing my GB function in the absence of stones in not needed. A friend of the family, who is also a surgeon, said that is BS and that a malfunctioning GB with or without stones may be a source of my symptoms. I am confused and the symptoms are debilatating.

My question is 2 fold - 1.) Has anyone experienced these symptoms when their gallbladder was in question? Especially the mouth/taste stuff.
2.) Can a dysfunctional gallbladder w/o stones cause such symptoms?

Thank you

Old 01-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
(male)

aqua774 HB User
Re: Dysfunctional Gallblader?

I can answer that. I was diagnosed with IBS, then had a HIDA scan and found out that I did not have NO Gallstones, but had a malfunctioning gallbladder. I had a ejection fraction rate of 20% which is below normal. The surgeon suggested that I keep the gallbladder since I did not portray typical gallbladder attack symptoms, like extreme pain from stones or constant nausea . I have controlled it mostly by my diet, but when i stray away, I pay for it. I was going to ask my GI if my gallbladder could possibly have sludge issues and see if he can put me on that Urdisol stuff to see if that is the answer to all my problems. Maybe my gallbladder is full of sludge and can not function properly, therefore giving me IBS symptoms? My doc says some function is better than no function at all! I will ask my GI about the sludge and stone dissolving medication on my next visit. Maybe it's not IBS and maybe its my Gallbladder. See I had an Upper GI, Colonoscopy , Barium Enema, Flex Sig and nothing. Then had a HIDA scan and bam there it was a malfunctioning gallbladder!

Last edited by aqua774; 01-05-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
(female)

Microsludge HB User

Thank you. I am suspicious of my gallbladder, too, since both my mother & her 2 sisters have had theirs out. I am 39 & have had digestive issues on & off, sometimes diarrhea, sometimes constipation, but never like this for this long & this color!!! I have read that a low bile output can make stools yellowy-orange & a gallbladder that doesn't eject normally & regularly could certainly be the culprit in something like that. I will look into it. Can I ask if your IBS symptoms occurred around the time you were having GB issues?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
(female)

TheNewMrsG HB User

Ohhh yes it can, on both counts. I had a dysfunctional GB w/o stones. I put on massive weight (150 lbs in a year), had bowel changes (to color, consistency and smell differences) and definate taste differences. I had a metallic taste for about 6 months, I was tired, nauseated, and fatigued to the point where if I walked up my stairs I felt like I was going to bust. I was over it all.

I did every scan in the book with my Primary care doc, and nothing came back. Everyone was sure it was my diet and exercise levels - which was all related to my GB, because I was so bloated and nauseated I couldn't move. Finally, my GI doc did a Hida-Scan and told me to layoff the dairy products (because it makes the nausea and bloating worse). Low and behold, we found the dysfunctional GB - and had it removed a week later. Ever since, I feel much better, but I do have the bowel issue still (and I still stay away from dairy). I'm still trying different foods to see how I react, but I'd rather do that than endure the other stuff I went through. I also was diagnosed with IBS, but the GB was the main culprit.

Take your friend's opinion and get the Hida-Scan. You might be very surprised. Good Luck!!

Last edited by TheNewMrsG; 01-13-2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: More Info

Old 01-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
(male)

aqua774 HB User

I cant recall if my "IBS" symptoms were around the same time as my gallbladder symptoms. But the HIDA scan will tell you if you have a dysfunctional gallbladder. For the most part I can control my symptoms if I eat right. If you live by this motto you will be fine "You should eat to live not live to eat" then you would be alright. Ha, that is what I live by now! I hear soooo many horror stories of the symptoms continuing after the gallbladder gets taken out. I want to keep mine as long as possible. Plus my doc says some function is better then none at all.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
(female)

LindaSueBob HB User

Hi I have most of the symptoms you have, I got results of my hida scan today. it is only 19% and my gall bladder has to come out for sure he said. Now I am having other tests to see if my hiatal hernia needs repaired or if most of my symptoms are just from the gall bladder. You should have a hida scan as far as I can see for the same reason I did. Linda

Old 01-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

Aqua, you are very fortunate to have help with the decision to keep your GB. Mine was at 0% and I was told I had to have it out, unfortunately I got worse after they removed it! Mirco, I hadn't heard of anyone having your symptoms being caused by GB.

The decision to have your GB removed shouldn't be rushed. If you can avoid it with some dietary chances I recommend it. Mine is out, I still have pain and I have to watch my diet.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
(male)

aqua774 HB User

Well my situation, I was experiencing bloating and gas at times. I went to one GI doc because my regular one is constantly booked up. This other GI doc sent me to have the HIDA and mine came back at 22%, so this other GI doc lined an appt up with a surgeon. I went to see the surgeon and sat there with him and he asked me my symptoms. He said that taking it out would not be a guarantee to fix my problems and he suggested that I not have it removed and adjust my diet to see if I can control it. Finally I got an appt with my normal GI doc and told him the whole story and he stated I should keep it unless I am having severe symptoms and then it would have to come out. He told me that I would just have to monitor it and watch my diet. Soooo, since then I have been writing everything down like instructed. Everything I put into my mouth, be it food or drink, I write down in a little journal with the time and date. This allows me to pinpoint trigger stuff!

Last edited by aqua774; 01-19-2009 at 07:19 AM.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
(female)

scarolinagirl HB User

Hello,

I had to have emergency gallbladder surgery after a stone moved in and blocked my bile duct. Plus, the surgeon said that when he got in, he said my gallbladder was full of stones.

Hope things improve with you keeping your gallbladder.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
(female)

Microsludge HB User

Hello all,

Well I am scheduled for my hida scan this Thursday. All of this is just driving me nuts. I'm going on 3 months now! Terrible bowel movements & and even more terrible sour/metallic taste in my mouth. I have known from the beginning that something is not flowing... I sure hope that I get an answer this week. I am afraid of what the next step might be if it isn't my gallbladder. I hope it's not an ercp - they scare me to pieces...

Old 01-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
(female)

csa062080 HB User
Talking Re: Dysfunctional Gallblader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsludge View Post
Hello all,

Well I am scheduled for my hida scan this Thursday. All of this is just driving me nuts. I'm going on 3 months now! Terrible bowel movements & and even more terrible sour/metallic taste in my mouth. I have known from the beginning that something is not flowing... I sure hope that I get an answer this week. I am afraid of what the next step might be if it isn't my gallbladder. I hope it's not an ercp - they scare me to pieces...
=) Stay calm... I went thru some of the same problems... they diagnosed me with GERD (acid reflux (could be the sour/metallic taste) which went away with 2 weeks of prevacid) along with a GB functioning @ 32%..

After 2-1/2 months of pain, eating non fat/bland foods, testing & multiple drs opinions... I finally decided to have it removed...(Key hole). Its only been 5 days and so far it has not been that bad.. the first 3 were the worst I think it was due to all the gas that the dr inflates you with upon surgery..(Bloating/ muscle pain & incision site pains(pain pills helped with it))

Keep doing your research and get a few drs opinions before making any life changing decisions.. Good luck I hope you find the cause.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
(female)

csa062080 HB User
Cool Re: Dysfunctional Gallblader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeGirl View Post
Aqua, you are very fortunate to have help with the decision to keep your GB. Mine was at 0% and I was told I had to have it out, unfortunately I got worse after they removed it! Mirco, I hadn't heard of anyone having your symptoms being caused by GB.

The decision to have your GB removed shouldn't be rushed. If you can avoid it with some dietary chances I recommend it. Mine is out, I still have pain and I have to watch my diet.
ZoeGirl-

Could your pains be Phantom pains/or Bile duct pains?? I have been reading about GB pains continuing after the GB removal I have been experiencing some of the phantom pains but it is too early after my GB removal to determine what the actual cause of it is...

I am interested in hearing more about your left side pains? I have had pains on both sides right more then left but wondering why the left side pain is occurring??? in the front and back ( identical to the GB pains on the right side under the breast and by the shoulder blades)

Thanks for your thoughts and sharing your experiences...

Old 01-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
(female)

Microsludge HB User

Hello all,

I had my HIDA scan on 1/22. The preliminary good & bad news is that according to the nurse, "the scan appears to be normal", but she wants the doctor to review it. I just completed my 72 hour fecal fat test - there is no doubt in my mind that I am malabsorping. I'll likely be moving on to the next series of tests, soon. Thanks for all of your support & advice. Micro

Old 02-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #14
(female)

Microsludge HB User

Dear Friends,

Thank you for all of your advice. I found out that my ejection factor was 87%; normal is 35%-75%. So it seems that I have an overactive gallbladder which may be dumping bile into my stomach & causing all of my digestive (bowel & mouth issues) these last 3 months. This is not the experts opinion, just my own. The surgeon, a family friend, ordered the HIDA scan for me as a favor against the advice of my GP & 2 GIs who after tons of tests said it is not your gallbladder, not you pancreas - go away we think you're nuts. The surgeon, unfortunately, has not been very insightful on this matter and has advised me to go back to my GP & GI stating that the evidence is clear that with folks whose ejection factor is less than 35% we remove it, but things are not so cut and dry for those who have values over 75%. I was hoping he'd say i know exactly what's wrong with you let's take the ting out & you'll be better.

As far as the left sided pains go, I must say that they are very similar to what i was experiencing on my right side when all this started 3 months ago. It's sort of a crampy sensation by my rib & under my breast as you describe - sometimes it moves to my back, but it does not last very long. My pattern was that the bloating/pain was central (high epigastric) with occasional exacerbation initially on the right and now now recently on the left; although last night after eating some dairy I had cramping high on the right & left. Who knows what's going on... Sorry if my response is not very helpful. If you have your gallbladder out, it could be biliary dyskenisia or SOD - Have you had that checked out?

Old 02-02-2009, 01:15 AM   #15
(female)

BOBERS47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsludge View Post
hello all,

i had my hida scan on 1/22. The preliminary good & bad news is that according to the nurse, "the scan appears to be normal", but she wants the doctor to review it. I just completed my 72 hour fecal fat test - there is no doubt in my mind that i am malabsorping. I'll likely be moving on to the next series of tests, soon. Thanks for all of your support & advice. Micro
hi, i've had every test in the book for the pain, on the right side,just below the breast and rib cage. They have ruled everything out, so far. They've done all the ultra sounds..ct scans...the test down your throat thing...colonoscopy, blood work, etc. The next is two mris on my pancreas, i dont know what the second is for. They tested it all. Anyway...more detail about your pain would be helpful to those that have the samething going on. I've gotten pain on my left side...but its rare. My symptoms are...pain, that goes away most of the time after a bm, if i get gas..it will hurt then too. I get nausea with it but the most profound symptoms are...besides the pain,is, my stomach feels like something is rotten in there. (early on it didnt feel that way) bubbling feeling sometimes. After a year or so of this...out of no where, i lost 35 lbs. And it came off fast. I was already about 20 lbs over weight. So, i lost that and then some. It looks like something attacked my muscle. When the weight came off it took my muscles with it. It hurts to lay on that side...and it hurts if i lay on the left side..like it pushes everything into what hurts on the right. If i lay on my back it doesnt hurt at all. Sometimes, i'll go a week with no symptoms at all. I feel normal. But, as time goes by the over all sick feeling last longer. Every now and then i will have a severe attack...vomitting, diarreah, sever pain on the right...to where i'm doubled over. When they feel around in that area...nothing hurts. Sometimes it feels like the acid is burning the inside of my skin on the right side or if i bend over...i get a mouth full of bile. Acid whatever it is...the surgeon said. I have none of the symptoms of a bad gallbladder. I've never had any blood. He is going to do the surgery because i have a small polyp on my gallbladder. But, he said its not big enough to cause blockage or a problem, and family history. My mom, my sister and my brother. I've read a lot of things on these symptoms..and the one...that leads me to believe hes right...its not my gallbladder. Is the rotten stomach and weight loss. So, what i have found out thru research on my own. I do have all the symptoms...of pre ulcer. Especially the rotten stomach(called putred stomach) in the research. The pain, gas, etc. Called h pylori. So, i take probiotics. They had given my husband a perscription for diarreah. He only need a few....so i tried the rest ( they are a natural thing) and within a few days...i was symptom free. No rotten stomach,etc...it takes awhile for everything to get back to normal...we will see if it does...but i'm putting weight back on...no acid...and no putred stomach. So, we will see.

Closed Thread