It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
(female)

Microsludge HB User
Loose & soft pale orange stool - sign of GB trouble?

Hello,

I am wondering if a slow functioning gallbladder can cause one to have loose and soft pale orange stools - ALWAYS - regardless of what is eaten. I came down with what the doctors & I thought were "classic" GB symtpoms 2 months ago. Bloating, burping, crampy pain under right ribcage, full after very small meals, no desire to eat, etc. No terrible pain, but general unwell feeling. They did a ultrasound, a CT of my abdomen and an endoscopic ultrasound & came up with ZIP. They were banking on microscopic crystals/sludge, but the EUS ruled that out. The problem now is that while I have no pain, no bloating, desire to eat is up, I have not had what I consider to be a normal bm in 2 months. Any suggestions??? This is getting me down & no, I have never had IBS... I'm worried that it might be something more serious that they are missing. Seems my symptomology is not obvious enough to readily diagnose, nor am I "sick" enough to warrent serious detective skills on the part of the MDs. I am both frustrated & worried... Thanks in advance for your input...

Old 01-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
(female)

TheNewMrsG HB User
Re: Loose & soft pale orange stool - sign of GB trouble?

Check with a GI if you haven't already. Mine told me to stay away from dairy porducts and see if it helped (and it did). Get a Hida-Scan - better to do it and catch a dysfunctional gallbladder before it ruptures. My symptoms were very much like yours - and it would come and go, too. I would get it checked out soon. I have IBS, too, but it seems to be easily managed with the right diet. My primary care docs didn't get it right for several years - definately check with another doctor, preferably a GI. Good Luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

Yes, pale and loose stools are very common symptoms of a malfunctioning gallbladder. It apparently has to to with your gallbladder not releasing bile when it should.

The ultrasound does not always show crystals and sludge in the gallbladder. You want to have the GI doc run the HIDA Scan with CCK; this is the true test of gallbladder function.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
(male)

aqua774 HB User

As stated in a previous thread GET A HIDA SCAN. If you want to fix this change your diet. Or get your gallbladder taken out and still continue with the same problems.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
(female)

Microsludge HB User

Thanks for the info. I am scheduled for a HIDA scan this Thursday. My GI & GP have not been very helpful in helping me arrive at a diagnosis. It seems that not having a normal bowel movement for going on 3 months is nothing alarming to them. Total BS! Pardon the pun... In the middle of going back & forth to the GI & GP I scheduled an appointment with a surgeon to explore options if this was indeed my gallbladder. The GI & GP said no to the HIDA scan, but the surgeon said a dysfunctional gallbladder without stones or sludge can cause issues, so he is the one who ordered the exam. I just don't know what to do anymore. I can't stop thinking that something terrible is happening to me & no one gives a s***! Pardon the pun...

Old 01-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #6

Suezer HB User

Tell them to check you for C Diff, orange/yellow stool is a common symptom. If you have any loose stool or fever let them know this as well.

If you have taken any antibiotics recently, it could have caused all your good flora in your bowels to be taken over by bad stuff called Clostridium Defficle.

Last edited by Suezer; 01-31-2009 at 11:15 PM.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
(female)

Microsludge HB User

HIDA scan last week demonstrated an ejection factor of 87%. Apparently normal is 35%-75%. Maybe I have been having bile salt diarrhea all this time.
Just a thought. Gallbladder seems to be dumping more bile than is normal & perhaps this has been causing my digestive & mouth issues.

Closed Thread