It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

DLC08 HB User
excessive stomach growling after meals

Last year I started losing excessive weight very suddenly. I have never gained or lost a pound in my life. In a matter of about 4 months I lost 40 pounds. My normal weight was 128 at 5'7" and now I am at 85 pounds. Have had every possible test and all indicated normal. I have not been able to gain one pound back. In the last few months my stomach growls and rumbles alot after meals. I am wondering if this could indicate a digestive issue or should I continue to research thyroid? My endocrinologist called me a medical mystery. I believe I should have another doctor with a new set of eyes look at my medical file. Have had no other disestive symptoms and have a very healthy appetite. Please offer any advice. Thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User
Re: excessive stomach growling after meals

Please go see a Gastroenterologist...get a second, third and fourth opinion if you need to. I have Crohn's Disease and I have experienced the extra loud stomach growling and rumbling (before I got back on medication) and I know it's the worst!

It sounds like there is definitly something going on. Keep asking questions of your doctors and demanding that they find the problem.

I hope you feel better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
(female)

DLC08 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I have lost so much weight that when it first happened my ribs would hurt and I still show signs of excessive muscle wasting to the point of looking anorexic. I have done some research on crohns disease. What kind of tests are done too diagnose this condition? I have had endoscopy, colonoscopy, bone scans, thyroid, parathyroid scan, blood work 7 times searching every aspect of my body. I do not want to have any of these extensive tests again as I am afraid the insurance will deny claims for the same procedures. I am suppose to go back to the endo doctor on 1-28-09 but she keeps telling me the same thing so I will call her to have her refer me to someone else. What symptoms did you have? It helps when someone else experiences the same bad feelings.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User

Oh you're welcome! Wow, I would think the colonoscopy and endoscopy should have diagnosed the problem, because that's what my GI doc did 10 years ago to diagnos me. I also had an Upper GI Series w/Small Bowel follow thru. In this procedure, I had to drink this thick, chalky "strawberry flavored" white substance called Barium. As it moved thru my digestive tract it illuminated everything and they took x-rays of my stomach to see any abnormalties such as inflammation..narrowing of my intestines/bowels, things like that.

I actually don't remember the growling/rumbling starting until some years later, but initially I experienced really bad stomach cramps, no matter what I ate or drank. Nausea/vomiting and decreased appetite, extreme weight loss, constipation.

It definitly sounds like you have a digestive issue going on on some level. I hope my post won't get deleted for this and to the moderator, I apologize in advance but it sounds like you definitly need another opinion, look up Salem Gastroenterology in Winston. It comes right up on Google. (right here in N.C.)

Again, my apology to the moderator if this is against any posting policy. But this young lady needs to find out what's going on with her.

Take care DLC08 and feel free to keep me posted

Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
(female)

DLC08 HB User

Thanks for responding. I have never had any uncomfortable stomach issues. That is what makes this so frustrating. Never any of the symptoms that you experienced,in fact I feel like I could eat again shortly after I've already had a meal. The stomach growling just started recently and was not part of the initial weight loss. All of these other symptoms are secondary and my endo doctor agrees with me. I originally thought I had contracted a infection due to the fact that my cat died from the pet food recall last March. He was very sick for 2 1/2 months and finally passed May 21st. I was his primary care giver and constantly cleaning his box. It was shortly after that when I started losing weight. I did mention this to my doctor and she was kinda dumb founded as to what to say, but I do know that we can contract infections and parasites from animals that are sick. This diagnosis was what my first thought was and I still keep going back to it over and over. It all seems TOO coincidental to me. Have you ever heard of anyone getting sick from an animal? I have done alot of research on the melamine poison that was traced to the pet food and there are many similarities in illnesses between humans and animals. Well, I will keep searching no matter what. I just want my normal self back. Thanks for your concern.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User

Aww, I'm sorry to hear about your cat

I've never heard of someone getting sick from a pet, but you never know. There are so many illnesses that are airborn now.

I really do hope your doctors find a cause for your problems really soon

Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
(female)

boodle2 HB Userboodle2 HB User

Have you been tested for small intestine bacterial overgrowth?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User

not that i can recall. will that be one of your tests?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
(female)

I have already been diagnosed with SIBO, you have to have a breath test. Bacterial overgrowth can cause alot of problems, they treat it with antibiotics. I would suggest you get tested (to rule it out if nothing else) if you do could you let me know if that is what you have?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
(female)

Sorry, I meant the last reply for DLC08

Old 02-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
(female)

DLC08 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I was not aware of SIBO but it sure would explain alot of my symptoms, especially the weight loss. My endo doctor referred me to a gastro doctor and thank goodness I have an appt on 2-5-09. I am scared to go but know that I have got to find an answer to get my life back. I also would have thought the endoscopy and colonoscopy should have indicated something but there could be an underlying problem the doctors are missing. My woman's intuition still tells me that I could have contracted an infection from my ill cat. I hope I get some answers. The doctor that I am seeing has been in the digestive disorder field for 28 years so I hope he can see the urgency in my health issues. I will let you know.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
(female)

Yes, please let me know!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #13
(female)

DLC08 HB User

Well, I had my appt on the 5th with gastro dr and he spent a long time looking at all of the records that I brought with me and the notes from my endo dr. He did some more blood work and has scheduled me for another endoscopy, breath test for bacteria, CAT scan to look at blood veins in the small intestine, and a upper GI. He did acknowledge my concern about a possible bacterial infection from my cat and how people can contract illnesses from animals. I truely hope he will FINALLY be able to tell me what has made me so sick for so long. I will have these test's soon and let you know. Thank's for your support.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #14
(female)

the breath test is what I had and was found to have bacterial overgrowth, so it will be interesting to see what they find for you. If that is what they find for you it is treatable! But please keep me informed of what they find out

Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
(female)

DLC08 HB User

How long have you had SIBO and are you taking antibiotics? Did you have the sudden weight loss as well? The nurse was suppose to call me friday to schedule the tests but I did not hear from her so maybe Monday. The doctor said you can sometimes see drastic results very soon. The sooner the better, as summer is coming. I will let you know.

Closed Thread