It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
(male)

McGillcutty HB User
Question Mastic Gum for Gastritis?

I have been experiencing symptoms of gastritis since June of last year. My only symptom is nausea. Mainly it is very slight, but on occasion it will flare up pretty bad. I have not vomited...only nausea. I had my gallbladder checked for stones via ultrasound. There were no stones. I also don't experience any pain.

I was placed on Prevacid for treatment. While it has helped immensely, I still don't feel at 100%. I tried to stop the medication after 4 months and my symptoms came back. So, I have been taking the medication ever since and I'm left here searching for a way to get my stomach back to 100%. I have read from different sources that mastic gum provides great benefits for stomach ailments. I figured it would be worth a shot, so I'm left with a couple questions.

1. I checked my local Vitamin Shoppe to see if I can pick this stuff up without having to order online. The only product they had with mastic gum is Peptic Defense.

I was going to make the purchase, but I wasn't too sure about the other ingredients. The other option would be Mastica made by Allergy Research Group. This particular supplement was recommended in a book that I peered through at the local bookstore (can't remember the title).

The only main ingredient in this supplement mastic gum. My question is, should I go for the pure mastic gum, or should I pick up the Peptic Defense and benefit from the other ingredients

2. I am still taking Prevacid and am curious if I should discontinue before starting taking the mastic gum.

I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-31-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Mastic Gum for Gastritis?

McGill,

I have used a similar PPI -- like Prilosec and Aciphex and they both did nothing to help gastritis for me but it seems to work for some people. As you know a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) does reduce the acid in your stomach by inhibiting some of the acid pump cells but it must not reduce enough cells for us to completely cure gastritis.

I have used Mastica to cure gastritis since 2001. I have never used Peptic Defense.

I get gastritis every time I take a round of antibiotics. It was first prescribed for me by an Alternative Care MD but later I found it in at a local Vitamin Shoppe by accident but have since bought it cheaper online.

When I use Mastica -- I use 2 -- 500mgm capsules on an empty stomach between meals(at least 2 hours after eating) 2 times daily. And, the Doctor also said it acts best taking a probiotic supplement at least once daily and it should be a broard spectrum type of probiotic-- PB-8 seems to be OK. Taking a probiotic supplement is also recommended by the Company. Of course they wanted me to use a more expensive probiotic supplement. But, I also eat plain yogurt daily-- Stonyfield Farm that contains 6 active culture strains.

I did not take a PPI while I took the Mastica but it should be OK if you are not having any side effects.

My wife gets nausea with Prevacid but not Prilosec. I have never taken Prevacid.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-31-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Typos

Closed Thread