It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
(male)

davidgeorge55 HB User
Post Nissen Fundoplication

Post Nissen Fundoplication

I have just had the surgery 4 days ago, hungry as a bear, tried a very soft scrambled egg (cooked in lots of milk). Am I rushing food, cannot stand sweet food and puddings and loose oatmeal is not doing it for me?
The egg has not given me any issue yet, it has been over two hours?

My stomach feels fine am I in a dream, or will I be having issue with having food too soon?

Dave in Ottawa

Old 02-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Post Nissen Fundoplication

I think the answer depends on the directions your surgeon gave you. From what I have read on the internet, it varies a lot. Many people are back to eating "regular" food fairly quickly. I had directions to take it slower.

I had a Nissen Fundoplication last October. My surgeon was extremely adamant that I could only have liquids or things that turn liquid in my mouth (popcicle) for the first two weeks--nothing with any lumps at all. Mostly, it was clear liquids the first week and then other types the second. At the end of week two, he cleared me to eat soft foods only. It was a couple months before I added meat and bread back into my diet.

The main issue is that your stomach will be swollen for quite a while. While you can eat ok sooner, it really takes a couple months for the swelling to completely go down.

I did really ok until about week three when I ended up totally losing my appetite for a couple weeks. Got really nauseous too. Haven't had any long-term problems though. Extremely glad I had the procedure done. Just be careful to really chew your food and to take smaller bites. It is uncomfortable to have food get stuck above the nissen where it can't go down. Meat and bread don't break down much when you chew them so they are the most dangerous.

As for finding something to eat, I did lots of broth. I also blended some creamier soups up until they had no lumps. Got some savory in that way. I had trouble because I can't do dairy. I've read that a lot of people also try thinned mashed potatoes too. Make sure you are getting some protein in. The nutrition drinks such as Ensure, Boost and Instant Breakfast are recommended. I also use protein powders that I put in my water, such as Special K. It helps me get the fiber and protein in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
(male)

davidgeorge55 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
I think the answer depends on the directions your surgeon gave you. From what I have read on the internet, it varies a lot. Many people are back to eating "regular" food fairly quickly. I had directions to take it slower.

I had a Nissen Fundoplication last October. My surgeon was extremely adamant that I could only have liquids or things that turn liquid in my mouth (popcicle) for the first two weeks--nothing with any lumps at all. Mostly, it was clear liquids the first week and then other types the second. At the end of week two, he cleared me to eat soft foods only. It was a couple months before I added meat and bread back into my diet.

The main issue is that your stomach will be swollen for quite a while. While you can eat ok sooner, it really takes a couple months for the swelling to completely go down.

I did really ok until about week three when I ended up totally losing my appetite for a couple weeks. Got really nauseous too. Haven't had any long-term problems though. Extremely glad I had the procedure done. Just be careful to really chew your food and to take smaller bites. It is uncomfortable to have food get stuck above the nissen where it can't go down. Meat and bread don't break down much when you chew them so they are the most dangerous.

As for finding something to eat, I did lots of broth. I also blended some creamier soups up until they had no lumps. Got some savory in that way. I had trouble because I can't do dairy. I've read that a lot of people also try thinned mashed potatoes too. Make sure you are getting some protein in. The nutrition drinks such as Ensure, Boost and Instant Breakfast are recommended. I also use protein powders that I put in my water, such as Special K. It helps me get the fiber and protein in.
Thanks for the input, it helps, the doctors do not spend enough time explaining the post op. period.

I see my doctor today with a plethera of questions.

david55

Old 02-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
(male)

JackieN HB User

Hello DavidGeorge55 - I had my fundo on 2/11, so I'd like to compare notes to see if your recovery is similar to mine. Doctor told me today I could have scrambled eggs, but haven't tried it yet. Will probably have tomorrow, and try mashed potatoes tonite. I feel like I still have reflux, do you?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
(male)

davidgeorge55 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Post Nissen Fundoplication

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieN View Post
Hello DavidGeorge55 - I had my fundo on 2/11, so I'd like to compare notes to see if your recovery is similar to mine. Doctor told me today I could have scrambled eggs, but haven't tried it yet. Will probably have tomorrow, and try mashed potatoes tonite. I feel like I still have reflux, do you?
JackieN:
Make your scrambled egg with lots of milk, to insure it is soft. I went to mashed potato with gravy within 4 days with no issue. I have no reflux whatsoever. You have to drink as much fluid as you can possibly drink, with your food. You cannot eat more than about 2-3 ounces at a time. Now it is exactly 14 days from surgery and I have progressed to soft meat (chicken a la king), you must chew everthing very well to ensure it is broken up, so it passes through properly. Still have no reflux and no longer require any medications.

Last edited by davidgeorge55; 02-17-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: grammar

Old 02-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
(male)

JackieN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgeorge55 View Post
JackieN:
Make your scrambled egg with lots of milk, to insure it is soft. I went to mashed potato with gravy within 4 days with no issue. I have no reflux whatsoever. You have to drink as much fluid as you can possibly drink, with your food. You cannot eat more than about 2-3 ounces at a time. Now it is exactly 14 days from surgery and I have progressed to soft meat (chicken a la king), you must chew everthing very well to ensure it is broken up, so it passes through properly. Still have no reflux and no longer require any medications.
Hello davidgeorge55! It is good to see that you are doing so well! Thanks for the hint on the scrambled eggs, which I have not yet tried as somewhat hesitant.

When you were on the liquids the first week, what was the time span that you ate? My doctor advised me to eat 1 ounce of liquid every 15 minutes, so I've been having 1 ounce of water, then waiting 15 minutes to have 1 ounce of something else like yogurt, pudding, etc. Were you drinking more water than this? I also am getting burning (some think it may be the healing process) every time. And I am so hungry!

Please stay in touch!

Old 02-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
(male)

davidgeorge55 HB User

Hello JackieN:

I was drinking as much fluid as I could as often as I could. I had alot of pudding, yogourt, broth, cream soup, purried fruit and ice cream. I had no burning at all. I think you should go back and see your doctor and inform him of your discomfort. I am eating every two hours as I have since day one, with one or two ounces at a time. I have lost 30 pouds to date since the surgery.

I now have a small problem with a abcess forming and I have had to go on two medications to avert any further surgery. Still moving around with care but feel relatively well.

Remember, please consult with your doctor if you continue with the nagging difficulties/burning. I have no medical background only the examples I share with you, since this surgery.

Dave

Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
(male)

JackieN HB User

Quote:
Hello JackieN:

I was drinking as much fluid as I could as often as I could. I had alot of pudding, yogourt, broth, cream soup, purried fruit and ice cream. I had no burning at all. I think you should go back and see your doctor and inform him of your discomfort. I am eating every two hours as I have since day one, with one or two ounces at a time. I have lost 30 pouds to date since the surgery.

I now have a small problem with a abcess forming and I have had to go on two medications to avert any further surgery. Still moving around with care but feel relatively well.

Remember, please consult with your doctor if you continue with the nagging difficulties/burning. I have no medical background only the examples I share with you, since this surgery.

Dave

Hi davidgeorge55

Thanks so much for the tips on food. I am going to the grocery today to get some cream soups. I was surprised that you could drink as much liquid as you want as my doctor said only 1 ounce of food or liquid every 15 minutes. But I'm starving and losing weight. So hopefully the cream soups will help.

Tell me about your abscess - is this in your esophogas or stomach, or one of your incisions? I have to change one of my bandages today as it has gotten wet in the shower.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
(male)

davidgeorge55 HB User

Hello JackieN:

Did you contact your doctor about the buning? As far as I know, the amount of fluid is not metered. I drank so much juice during the first week and I continue to do so. I hate milk but have discovered chocolate milk to be great!

My abcsess is totally unrelated to my surgery and is doing well, it is draining and I have seen the doctor today.

When do you see your doctor?

Dave

Old 02-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #10
(male)

JackieN HB User

Quote:
Hello JackieN:

Did you contact your doctor about the buning? As far as I know, the amount of fluid is not metered. I drank so much juice during the first week and I continue to do so. I hate milk but have discovered chocolate milk to be great!

My abcsess is totally unrelated to my surgery and is doing well, it is draining and I have seen the doctor today.

When do you see your doctor?

Dave
Hi Dave,

I am glad to hear that your abscess is unrelated to the fundoplication.

My burning is getting better (but not completely gone), so have not yet called my doctor. One member said it could be the healing process that I am feeling. My dr. appointment is next Wed - Feb. 25. Perhaps I have not been drinking enough, so am going to drink more water and juice today. I have lost about 6 pounds. My most serious issue is that I have a sticky white tongue that drives me crazy. I had this symptom prior to surgery and was hoping the fundo would help, but now it seems worse! Maybe it is because I am not drinking enough liquids. The doctor gave me little direction other than to use the dosage/1 ounce cups that they gave me and eat or drink 1 ounce every 15 minutes. He said I should be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks, but after a call to him a few days ago, dr. said I could have mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. One night I had mashed potatoes and my tongue coating got really bad, so it must have been the potatoes. The support of this blog is really helping me deal with this awful recovery process.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
(male)

davidgeorge55 HB User

Hello JN:

The tongue thing sounds horrible, it never happened to me? You really need to see you doctor. I think you need to get more fluids into you, fruit punch, vegetable coctail, sorbet and whatever you can.

Some of the meal supplements made me gag, so I do not reccommend them and they taste funny. For savoury food, I just used gravy and mashed spuds.

I have tried won ton soup today, from a very good Chinese Restaraunt, had no problem.

Tonite I had macaroni with cheese, tomatoes, and ground beef, but I could not do the beef, I had to push it aside, not smooth enough.

Dave

Last edited by davidgeorge55; 02-21-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 02-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #12
(male)

JackieN HB User

Quote:
Hello JN:

The tongue thing sounds horrible, it never happened to me? You really need to see you doctor. I think you need to get more fluids into you, fruit punch, vegetable coctail, sorbet and whatever you can.

Some of the meal supplements made me gag, so I do not reccommend them and they taste funny. For savoury food, I just used gravy and mashed spuds.

I have tried won ton soup today, from a very good Chinese Restaraunt, had no problem.

Tonite I had macaroni with cheese, tomatoes, and ground beef, but I could not do the beef, I had to push it aside, not smooth enough.

Dave
Hello Dave,

Sounds like you are well on the road to recovery. I talked to my doctor yesterday and he is surprised that I have burning in my mouth and the white tongue. I have an appointment on Wed, 2/25, but I don't expect much. I have had this reflux (or whatever it is) for 10 years plus and I am wearing down. I had my gall bladder removed several years ago, as they thought that was my problem. I've got to eat more to try to add some pounds because I am thin to begin with. Thanks for the tips on foods to eat.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
(male)

davidgeorge55 HB User

Hello:

Glad you have seen your doctor, lost my appetite for a couple of days and had a sick stomach, may of been the flu?
All things back to normal now, was able to eat a soft fried easy over egg, some of a sausage patty and some toast (just a little). I am able to eat soft cooked chicken and fish with no real problem. Hope your tests go well and they find your problem.

Dave

Old 03-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
(female)

nissengirl HB User

For Jackie: I also had a Nissen on Feb. 11th; I had a huge hiatal hernia where half my stomach was in my chest (therefore my asthma); in addition the doctor I went to is the foremost surgeon for the new EsophyX, the incisionless surgery where they put an instrument down your esophagus and make a new flap. At first he said I wasn't a candidate for that because of the large hernia, but when I woke up I found out he did both procedures. He did a loose wrap, 270 deg. rather than the 360, so I have no problem burping, perhaps I do so too much.

Anyway, I am not doing too well. Sometimes I feel I'm having reflux; and today I really had heartburn. I think part of it is my bowels are bound up and when I had a movement tonite, the heartburn eased.

Some days I feel great; I even ate a little salmon yesterday and was fine till after my meager dinner of mashed veggies. I lost 12 lbs. so far and I'm pretty slim to begin with. I'm almost afraid to eat.

Is this burning normal during the healing process? My doctor (who's in Ocala, Fl.--I live in NC) says some heartburn is normal because of abnormal bowel function, etc. But I'm skeptical and nervous, to say the least.

How are you feeling now? Or anyone else who's had either of these surgeries recently?

I appreciate hearing from you.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
(male)

JackieN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissengirl View Post
For Jackie: I also had a Nissen on Feb. 11th; I had a huge hiatal hernia where half my stomach was in my chest (therefore my asthma); in addition the doctor I went to is the foremost surgeon for the new EsophyX, the incisionless surgery where they put an instrument down your esophagus and make a new flap. At first he said I wasn't a candidate for that because of the large hernia, but when I woke up I found out he did both procedures. He did a loose wrap, 270 deg. rather than the 360, so I have no problem burping, perhaps I do so too much.

Anyway, I am not doing too well. Sometimes I feel I'm having reflux; and today I really had heartburn. I think part of it is my bowels are bound up and when I had a movement tonite, the heartburn eased.

Some days I feel great; I even ate a little salmon yesterday and was fine till after my meager dinner of mashed veggies. I lost 12 lbs. so far and I'm pretty slim to begin with. I'm almost afraid to eat.

Is this burning normal during the healing process? My doctor (who's in Ocala, Fl.--I live in NC) says some heartburn is normal because of abnormal bowel function, etc. But I'm skeptical and nervous, to say the least.

How are you feeling now? Or anyone else who's had either of these surgeries recently?

I appreciate hearing from you.

Hello NissanGirl:

Today is Mon., 3/16 and I am sorry it took me so long to reply to you. I must have had the 360 wrap as my throat feels so tight. I am a 52 yr. old male and had burning in my throat and a very bad taste prior to my fundoplication. The burning is a little better, but my taste seems to be worse. Don't know what is causing the taste; I also had my gall bladder removed several years ago as thought that was the cause of the bad taste, but it didn't help. I am not very happy that I had the fundoplication - I live in Hartford CT and my doctor is also here - but I was desperate for something to help me. I have a lot of gas and gas pains with hopes this will get better with time. I guess it did help my burning somewhat.
I had an upper GI about 2 weeks after the surgery and the report said there was no reflux. My bad taste could be a result of a broken nose and no deviated septum, but seems no one can help me.

I wish you luck. Keep in touch. They say it takes at least 6 weeks before the tightness/swallowing gets better. It will be 5 weeks for me this coming Wed, 3/18.

Sincerely, JackieN.

Reply Reply