It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Question about upper g.i. endoscopy

I'm going to have an upper g.i. endoscopy on Monday and am concerned about what they may find. Not long ago I posted previously about being nervous about the test, but with my complicated medical history I can't help feeling this way.

I have a complicated medical history that includes IBS, GERD, hiatal hernia, etc, etc..and I was diagnosed with a borderline ovarian cancer 5 years ago. That form of ovarian cancer is the least severe kind possible and the prognosis for that is excellent. I had gallstones at about the same time. So, my gallbladder was removed about 6 months later by a laparoscopy.

I've been having alot of abdominal pain and swelling that comes and goes. Sometimes it's in the middle of my stomach and then moves around and eventually goes to my lower abdomen. Not long after that I will either have a bowel movement or intestinal gas or both. Oftentime I have pain in my upper-right abdomen that lasts a long time. Several days ago I had a severe pain in the middle of my gut that moved around until I had a bowel movement, but even though the pain was mostly gone my upper right abdomen was still sore to the touch.

So I'm having this test. Here are my specific questions:

1. If they see how nervous I am about this test when I sign in, do you think it's likely they will give me some medication to calm my nerves before I'm taken in for the procedure? I know they will sedate me during the scope. I want something to help me relax before they take me to the procedure room.

2. Can an upper g.i. endoscopy diagnose sphincter of oddi dysfunction, or would I have to have an ERCP? Given that my gallbladder has been out for nearly 4 years and the tests that have been done so far have ruled out problems with my pancreas, I'm thinking this is what could be wrong with me.

3. Can my ibs cause pain in my upper-right abdomen that makes it feel like I still have my gallbladder?

4. Could this upper-right abdominal pain (near where my gallbladder used to be) be caused by a hiatal hernia (sliding or otherwise)?

5. I've had several upper g.i. endoscopies in the past, but it's been so long since my last one I don't know what to expect. I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia during the first or second upper endoscopy. Another g.i. doctor I saw several years ago told me that he didn't see the hiatal hernia I was previously diagnosed with. What's up with that?

6. Can stress alone cause the pain I've been having? I'm in the process of getting another psych referral because I have a history of depression and anxiety, both of which have gotten worse.

7. Given that my gallbladder was removed 6 months after my hysterectomy (which was an open surgery with a very long scar which was close to where my gallbladder incisions are) could it be that I have adhesions? My gyn/oncologist found adhesions from a previous surgery (laparotomy 1999 for benign ovarian cysts) during my hysterectomy. Given that both incisions are very close, could it be that I have adhesions again from either or both surgeries and that this could be the sole cause of my pain?

Btw, prior to having my gallbladder removed, the surgeon told me it might have to be done the old-fashioned way instead of a laparoscope, given scars from my hysterectomy. After the surgery I found out they were able to use the scope, but I had 5 incisions, not the usual 3 or 4 most people would have had.

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks!

Last edited by dianajune; 02-28-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread