It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User
Breathless just speaking!!

Does anyone else find that they get breathless just trying to talk sometimes?
Also, if I even just walk a short distance I feel breathless. I weigh 133lbs at 5ft 4 so I'm not overweight, but I do find any fat I have is on stomach area and wont move whatever I try.

I have been on PPI's for a couple of years and have an appointment to have endoscope done in a few weeks. Doc thinks I may have a hernia but is not sure.

All my high up stomach pain, breathlessness etc. began after I had my 3rd child by c-section.

Hopeful

Old 03-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
(female)

activemom HB User
Re: Breathless just speaking!!

Hello HopefulDoll,

I, too, have recently become breathless from simply just speaking or engaging in minor physical activities. My doc says my heart and lungs are fine and I don't have asthma. He thinks I have a sliding hiatal hernia. When our abdominal and diaphragm muscles are contracted, our stomachs could be sliding into our chest cavity making it difficult to breathe. I'm scheduled for an upper GI in a couple of weeks to check it out.

Strangely, though, I don't have problems with GERD, but do have problems breathing while lying flat at night. Do you have any other symptoms?

Good luck with your endoscopy and stay hopeful!

Ah yes...I'm also 5'4 about 130 lbs and have had a c-section in the past.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Hi Activemom,

My doc thinks I may have a hernia also. I dont get heartburn either just a slight heat in my throat if I eat chocolate!

I also, like you, find breathing difficult when I lie flat at night.
I am very anxious anout the endoscopy so please say a prayer for me?
Did you find you got symptoms soon after your c-section? Immediately after my c-section I felt pain to the right of my umbilical area of my stomach, it felt like a dragging sensation, as if I had stitches inside and I still get that pain at times. I get pain in my right side sometimes, I have fibroids so they may be causing this or maybe appendicitis! Oh, for a normal body again!

What did your doc suggest to do if you have a hernia?
Hopeful

Old 04-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
(female)

activemom HB User

Hopeful Doll,

My doctor suggested that I worked on my core muscles with activities like yoga. So far, it seems to be making things worse, but I'll stick it out for awhile to see if things improve. He also suggested that I reduce the gluten in my diet. I also read that including fiber, fish oil, probiotics, and digestive enzymes would also be helpful. What do I have to lose?

Also...even though I had problems with adhesions (overgrowth of scar tissue) after my c-section, they didn't seem to coincide with my hernia symptoms. I wonder, though, if any type of abdominal weakness (like the multiple c-sections you had) could contribute to the onset of a hiatal hernia? Not sure.

Have you tried anything that has helped you with your symptoms? Feeling short of breath like a ninety-year old is very frustrating!

Active Mom

(My upper GI is next Wednesday. When you have your endoscopy, be sure to communicate your symptoms clearly to the doctor/tech performing the procedure)

Old 04-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Hi Activemom,

Was wondering if you had your Endoscopy and how it went?

Hopeful

Old 04-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
(female)

activemom HB User

Hi Hopeful Doll,
The upper G.I. I had did, indeed, confirm that I had a hiatal hernia. The doc put me on some meds even though I told him I wasn't experiencing heartburn. He said he wanted to start with the simplest course of treatment. I'm only on these meds until next week. He also had an ultrasound done of my gall bladder, since he suspects something may be up with that too. I see him next week with results of my ultrasound and to see what the next step is. I still have trouble getting easily winded!!

How about you? Did you have your endoscopy yet?

ActiveMom

Closed Thread