It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
(female)

Iambehaving HB User
Infectious Colitis Questions

Hello Everyone! I have been googling for information for awhile now and not really finding any good answers or anyone (still active) having similar issues. I apologize now for the length, but I want as much info as I can put out there.... And THANKS in advance!

I started having issues in mid December 08. It started on a Thursday with typical symptoms you get from over eating & enjoying the holidays a little TOO much. Gas, bloating, stomach cramping, nauseous ect. By the time Saturday rolled around I was having pain in the right upper quad region. First thing everyone thought was a gallbladder attack. I went to the ER on Sat. I had a CT that showed Colitis in the colon area related to my pain, but other then that nothing else really stood out. He concluded it was just a kidney infection. I had one dose of IV antibiotics and sent home with Levaquin. I went home and began feeling better, but the pain never went away and neither did any of the other symptoms. I spent the next 6 plus weeks having my gallbladder checked. During this time I got sicker and sicker. I got to the point I could keep nothing down (not even fluids). At one point I went 9 days with green bile vomit. I couldn't even put pressure on my stomach or right upper side. I had chest pains, a shooting pain through my back, joint pain.. Everything pointed to the gallbladder. Gallbladder finally ruled out completely after a scope & HIDA Scan. During my Upper GI my stomach lining was irritated and bleeding slightly.. which I have always thought was due to all the vomiting.

Finally, we were able to look at the ONE issue that always showed up..the colitis. I have had 6 CT's which all show various degrees of colitis. All of which matched up with the amount of pain and vomiting I was in.

I have also had lots of constipation. I would go 3 plus weeks without ever going, but when I did go it was not solid. I have also had bloody stools (very mildly), mucus, and the urge to go constantly. All of those have sort of come and gone. I think a lot of that is related to the pain killers & meds I was on. Currently I am on no pain killers and have lots of consitpation and mucusy globby looking stool (that is a technical term btw).

I had a colonoscopy which showed mild colitis and minor infection(I had zero pain and next to no symptoms day of testing). I had just gotten off another 10 day round of levaquin and another antibiotic that starts with a met-something. I can never remember the name of it.

I have been on antibiotics now for the 6th time. Every time I go on them the pain and symptoms lesson, but I have not felt 'great' since December. I do get to feeling better, but it always returns. The longest I have gone without major pain is 4 days. I have yet to resume a normal diet. And 95% of my time I am nauseous, but I consider that a good day. On antibiotics helps, antibiotics end, within 2-4 days everything returns. CT's have confirmed that the colitis returns after I go off the antibiotics. I am now currently in another 10 day cycle, but this time I was given amoixcillin last Friday.

I have found no relation to the foods I am eating. I have kept a food / pain journal since Mid January. The pain was so intense at one point I was admitted with Morphine / viccodin rotating cocktail which did not get rid of the pain. I always thought I had a high tolerance of pain, but after this journey I really am thinking otherwise. I had two children without pain meds, and I would have 10 more before going through this again. I am NOT a complainer when it comes to doctors. I am not one of those that runs to a doc every sniffle. It took me 7 years before complaining about having carpal tunnel (with muscle deterioration). I walked around for 6 months with a slipped disk in my back before seeing a chiropractor and never went on pain meds. Just to give you some ideas...

So at this point is this considered chronic colitis? Any other suggestions for helping to treat infectious colitis or ideas of what could really be going on?

And if you are still reading, I really thank you for sticking with me.

Last edited by Iambehaving; 04-02-2009 at 12:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
(female)

Iambehaving HB User
Re: Infectious Colitis Questions

I wanted to add... I was on all sorts of drugs to help with the bloating, heartburn, cramping, speeding up digestion, slowing down digestion,ect. I am now currently getting off of those one by one to see which symptoms return. For the most part I was no longer having the bloating, heartburn, gas, stomach soreness, ect as I was early on in this adventure.

I have also lost 30 plus pounds since the first of the year. I needed to lose them so it is not like I am risking being too skinny at this point, but I think that drop in weight loss will show just how little I have kept down during this.

Last edited by Iambehaving; 04-02-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
(female)

MixedNuts HB User

A friend went through something very similar. After taking Betaine Hydrochloride (found in a good store that sells vitamins, herbal remedies, and supplements) they were finally able to move on. The antibiotics had destroyed all of the good and bad bacteria, so much so that when they ate, they would have a great amount of pain, and off of antibiotics, the colitis would return. While I don't recommend following this exact course without consulting a doctor, I do recommend finding a doctor who is willing to look at a new course of action including homeopathic or alternative methods.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
(female)

Iambehaving HB User

I have noticed lately that now I do have extreme abdominal pain about an hour after eating. Prior to the last few weeks I never was able to linking eating (or what I ate) with the pain.

My GI doc keeps insisting I need to eat the yogurt that helps with digestion. I have been eating that daily for weeks, and it hasn't done a dang thing!

I am back on antibiotics again. I believe this makes my 5th or 6th time this year. I am really losing track without my "notes" next to me.

I thank you for the reply! I have heard from another to seek out a naturalist, and I am working on that.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
(female)

Angela7031 HB User
Unhappy Re: Infectious Colitis Questions

I am suprised to finally find some one going through the same thing I am. I have struggled since child hood w severe but mostly minor colitis on my right side. About 6 days ago i began having the excruciating front and back side pains on my right side, constipation, nausea, vomiting, fever, cold sweats, chills, and lots of blood instead of stool. Yesterday I was finally able to get some aloe juice and acidophilis. It has already helped immensely. Although I am still fighting the cramps. I was able to diarrhea with many traces of blood. If you know of any other homeopathic solutions please let me know. Thanks for your post.

Closed Thread