It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

Microsludge HB User
Question Bile reflux: Carafate & nausea

Hello,

I just stared taking carafate about 3 days ago for bile reflux. currently taking it 4 x a day 1 hr. before meals. It seems to be working pretty well on the reflux. Taste is still there sometimes, but pretty minimal - tongue buring is gone and tongue is less coated. All & all a plus.

I have noticed though that I get extremely nauseous about 45 minutes after taking the medication. The nauseau is almost immediately relieved after eating, but it is a little unsettling & appears like clockwork.

Has anyone else experienced this?

How can it be avoided?

Will it eventually go away?

Thank you, Micro

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
(female)

GlassPawn HB User
Re: Bile reflux: Carafate & nausea

I was on carafate for a little while. I think nausea is common when Carafate is taken on an empty stomach. Unfortunately, Carafate also happens to work best when taken on an empty stomach. But since you're taking it for bile reflux as opposed to for an ulcer (carafate acts as a "band-aid" for ulcers, I'm not sure how it helps with bile reflux) you might want to ask your doctor if you can take it after your meal. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
(male)

foosball HB User

Microsludge - I have very similar symptoms as you which came on in a very similar fashion. I was wondering what the ultimate diagnosis for you condition was. Your last posts mentioned some medications. Did these "fix" your problem/symptoms? Did your stool return to normal?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
(female)

Microsludge HB User

Hi foosball,

It has been a long time since I posted. If you review my posts on previous threads you will get a good sense of my history. I wish I had good news, but after being "symptomatic" for nearly 14 months and having doctor after doctor telling me there was nothing wrong with me, I finally carry the diagnosis of mccp - which is mild change chronic pancreatitis. This was diagnosed by my 3rd eus at the end of February. Now mind you, my last euc in June of 2009 was "normal". Right now, I take pancreatic enzymes with eat meal - viokase 8; they number about 4-6 with each meal, 2 with snacks and for the time being I am stable. I am also taking a ppi with my enzyme because it is the uncoated variety. The ppi prevents preactivation of the enzymes in the stomach. I discontinued the carafate over the summer because I finally determined it was of no consequence.

I am sorry that you are not feeling well. You know your body best and just press on until you get the answers you deserve.

All best, Micro

Closed Thread