It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
(female)

conservativegal HB User
EGD "Normal" so why the biopsies?

I had a EGD yesterday as a diagnostic test for pain I have had for 2 months under my ribcage on the right side. First, ultrasound that showed gallbladder sludge and a small kidney stone. Then, I had a HIDA scan which the result was 35%. My doctor said 35% was normal, but I thought that was a very low end normal.
So I had an EGD. When I woke up, they told me it was normal but also said they took biopsies of my esophagus and my small intestines. Why did they do this if everything looked normal? The nurse just said "maybe inflammation". Do I need to worry now about something else? Biopsy results won't be back for 2-3 weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: EGD "Normal" so why the biopsies?

I'd suggest you call your doctors office and get an answer to why the biopsies were taken. Really, the nurse should have gone and found out after you asked and not blown you off with a shoulder shrug and a non-answer.

Burns me up . They don't seem to care/know what they put people through - weeks of worry - often for nothing. Then they wonder why we have so many "stress related" symptoms! LOL

There are many reasons to biopsy an inflamed esophagus and small intestine - from mild infection to cancer and a hundred disorders in between - there's no reason why you should torture yourself going through them all online.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
(female)

Iambehaving HB User

I've had biopsies taken even though everything was "normal" as well. I was told they might as well do everything they can while they are in there just to be extra cautious. Mine btw.. came back normal. I've had the same thing done during other scoping procedures as well. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
(female)

conservativegal HB User

Thank you for taking your time and giving your opinion. I'll wait and see, I guess. Hopefully it's nothing.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
(female)

conservativegal HB User

Thank you for taking your time to answer me. I did call the doctor's office the next morning and that turned out to be a mistake. The "nurse" said "Well, if it was something really serious, we would have been notified by now" and "I can't tell you why he took the biopsies until I I can read the dictation, which is in about a week."

Finding a qualified doctor is not hard. Finding a qualified (doctor's) STAFF is a whole other ballgame.

Thank you again, I'm just not going to worry about it until they have answers.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
(female)

donut revenge HB User

When they did it for me, every single time, they said it was to look for cancer. He def should have told you. You don't seem like you have cancer, but still-- it hate it when doctors hide results/what they are doing from the patient.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
(female)

maryray52 HB User
Smile Re: EGD "Normal" so why the biopsies?

I also had an EGD and was told test was "normal" however they did a biopsy in case there was infection the nurse said. I have lost about 30 lbs in the last 3 or 4 months and have not been trying at all. So this test they say is normal and on the 10th of January I have a colonoscopy. Not ure if I should bother with that since this test was normal, but I will get it done so my husband will leave me alone

Old 01-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
(female)

JubeeBijou HB User

I had a endoscopy, and the doctor said, "You have a very boring looking stomach". Still they took a biopsy since they were in there. (I have non-ulcer functional dyspepsia.)

Closed Thread