It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
(female)

Mitch5 HB User
Anyone with either slow or fast stomach emptying please read...

I am so beyond confused at the moment. Ok, about 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with severe gastroparesis. Not just mild gastroparesis, but severe gastroparesis since the delay on the nuclear med emptying scan was significant and certainly classified as severe. Ok, cool, I have gastroparesis, well not cool, but at least it explains the constant nausea and bloating I experience. So as a result of this diagnosis which was made by a GI here where I locally live in a suburb in the Twin Cities, Minnesota and since I am only 50 mn from one of, if not, the best medical clinic in the entire world in Mayo Clinic Rochester I figured I wanted a Mayo gastro doc helping me with the gastroparesis. As a result, I booked an apt at Mayo, met a terrific doc down there, and she ordered extensive testing to look for a cause and of course confirm the gastroparesis. Well, as far as looking for a cause, one cannot be found. Blood tests all normal minus an IgA Deficiency which I already knew I have and have had since birth. However, she ordered a complete and total GI emptying scan that not only looked at the stomach, but the small and large intestines as well.

You could have blown me over with a feather whenever I was sitting in her office yesterday as she was reading my results of the study:

Impression: Minimally ACCELERATED gastic emptying. Small bowel transit time is within normal limits. Normal colonic transit time at 48 hours.

HUH? How on earth do I now have rapid gastric emptying when just six weeks ago I had SEVERE delayed gastric emptying? I am so incredibly confused now! My doctor could not believe the result as well. She still thinks based on my symptoms something is wrong and she would think clinically it points to delayed gastric emptying yet this test at Mayo says no delay, the exact opposite, the stomach is emptying slightly too fast!

As a result she is ordering that horrible scope thingy called a Gastroduodenal Manometry where they insert the tubes and track things via endoscopy while you eat, etc. I will have this done in two weeks.

Until then I am scratching my head. What on earth could cause such different results? Could it be me? I literally do go back and forth from delayed to rapid gastric emptying? In only six weeks time?! Or is one of the tests wrong? How could Mayo be wrong? This is so strange! I would have thought there could be some variation in that maybe Mayo wouldn't see such a severe delayed emptying but STILL a delayed emptying. Not only was that NOT shown, but it showed a RAPID emptying! I have absolutely NO idea how it could go from one end to the other. It makes zero sense to me.

Has anyone had this happen to them or have you gone from delayed emptying to rapid emptying before? I am so lost here. I cannot with all that's in me figure this out.

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
(female)

psychcat HB User
Re: Anyone with either slow or fast stomach emptying please read...

I've never had a gastric emptying study done, but from what I've researched it's possible for someone with gastroparesis to digest food normally one day and abnormally the next. I've also read that if the test does not last long enough, a person with delayed emptying can appear to digest food normally. Either of these things can cause a false negative according to what I've found online, but I'm not a doctor. I hope you get it sorted out.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
(female)

Mitch5 HB User
Re: Anyone with either slow or fast stomach emptying please read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychcat View Post
I've never had a gastric emptying study done, but from what I've researched it's possible for someone with gastroparesis to digest food normally one day and abnormally the next. I've also read that if the test does not last long enough, a person with delayed emptying can appear to digest food normally. Either of these things can cause a false negative according to what I've found online, but I'm not a doctor. I hope you get it sorted out.
Thanks. Yeah, this is so totally strange. The thing is when I had the test done at Mayo they did a complete motility study of the stomach, small intestine, large intestine, so it lasted 48 hours. And during the test my symptoms were in FULL FORCE. I remember eating the egg sandwich they had me eat after I took this capsule and I was so full and sick from that. I had to keep coming back every 15 minutes for scans and I remember telling my mom who was with me that I felt like I was going to throw up, but never did. Then at 11 they made me eat a lunch! Ahhhh that was so horrible, I was choking it down, I was so full and just felt severely nauseated. It sucked. Had more scans and the first day lasted like 7 hours and then I had to come back the next morning for a 24 hr scan, then the next morning for a 48 hr scan.

But I find it interesting that I was so severely ill during the testing and it didn't show gastroparesis, it showed slight dumping (rapid emptying) which just blows my mind. I am told that the gastroparesis and dumping symptoms can overlap but that with dumping you get more of a nervous feeling since your sugar levels somehow are off and you can get diarrhea with it as well. Other than that the bloating and nausea can be the same for both. Such a weird deal how my stomach is doing this. It's like pick a side stomach, either go too slow or too fast but this back and forth is driving me crazy. LOL. Oh it can also normalize as well, that choice is in there too of course. LOL.

Last edited by Mitch5; 05-24-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Closed Thread