It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
(male)

Hargow HB User
What would happen if you swallowed a bit of plastic

Would it be harmful to your body?

Will it just go out through the digestive system? Because I have constipation and I haven't had a bowel movement in about a week. What will happen if it gets stuck in my intestines?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: What would happen if you swallowed a bit of plastic

My hubby once ate a few tines of a plastic fork...they passed with a little help from some fiber supplement. To be exact...Psyllium husk fiber, which is a dry powder you mix with cold water, and drink a few times a day. It is available in any grocery store. If you cannot poop with that, you might need a laxative to get things moving.

If you should experience pain, fever, or bleeding...of course go to emergency.

Last edited by writeleft; 05-29-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2009, 05:24 AM   #3
(female)

kizzy678 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hargow View Post
Would it be harmful to your body?

Will it just go out through the digestive system? Because I have constipation and I haven't had a bowel movement in about a week. What will happen if it gets stuck in my intestines?
If its any help when you go for a transit study all you do is swallow 2 capsules a day for 4 days and inside them are 8 plastic shapes different for each day and they scan them to see where tey are in your gut so cant see any problem really.
(yeah I am nosey at what they make me swallow even more so when they arttle)

Old 05-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User

I don't know about people, but I work at a vet's office and a cat ate a small piece of plastic and it got stuck in the intestines. She then got an intussusception and had to have part of her intestines removed. I would recommend getting in a lot of fiber and get things moving, but if you start vomiting or get extreme abdomen pain, go to the ER asap!

Closed Thread