It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
(male)

MJontario66 HB User
Major Malabsorption issue

hi everyone,

i came to this forum to seek help,suggestions anything that will help me with my struggles.

so basically this is my issue. to call it an issue is actually an understatement since it is ruining my present life.

i am a 25 year old male. i have what i strongly believe to be a malabsorption disorder..but it is also much more than that. all in all though i believe it stems from the malab.

i am almost always hungry. i do not work right now nor am i in school. i have chronic fatigue and an uncontrollable gas issue. so a person in my situation doesn't need many calories to get by. i however eat 6 x a day. i remember ppl since i was around 18 telling me that i'm always eating and yet i'm not even fat. my dad used to almost in an irritated voice suggest that i stop eating so often since there is no need for it. the problem was that i couldn't stop otherwise i would get incredibly weak, fatigued and in most cases bad hunger burns. i always wondered howcome my friends barely ate and they always looked the same. lets say i just played tennis for 1 hour, as soon as i get home i would need to eat very soon otherwise i will get weak and it would be noticable. my adams apple would become increasingly present over the hours. (i used to describe this to my family and they laughed telling me thats rediculous)
i worked at a job agency a few years ago. i always made sure to fill up during breakfast. the problem was that due to it being a working day, i would have to go longer hours between meals. add to that the fact that i would be burning calories working. i didn't work there long. but every day when i got home i looked so pale and exhausted. i lost a lot of weight during this time. eating a lot when i was home did very little since the next day i would burn off all that weight again and the entire process was very tiresome.

what makes my situtation tough is that certain foods i can't absob so i have to be very selective in what i eat. i use the air analogy with food..certain food i can't absorb i desribe the feeling after eating it as if i just ate air and i'm still hungary.
muffins are very filling to the average person..usually on average of 300 calories which is enough for one meal but they never filled me up ever..even the mega sized muffins u buy at coffee time. same with donuts
using my air analogy, here are the foods that have that effect: chocolate, cakes, sweet potatoes, hot dogs, cereal, peanut butter, nuts (almonds,cashews etc<--very high in calories), chicken, ice cream
almost all types of bread

basically what i'm eating now is kidney/black/pinto beans with rice and vegetables every meal. i blend it all together with water and make a puree out of it. i do this because its easier for me to eat and i eat very slow (also a disorder i believe..i have to eat slow otherwise my gag reflex kicks in easily). i seem to absorb this food fine so i'm sticking to it at the moment. there was a year when i ate nothing but brown rice pasta because i didn't know what i ate was giving me gas and at that time i was working and going out with friends. the pasta put me out of shape. over time i realized no matter what i ate i always had a problem with involuntary gas. the pasta was good though in that and even to this day would leave me feeling full and satisfied.

i originally saw a doctor about 5 years adressing uncontrollable gas as the major issue. the term malabsoption didn't exist to me i didn't even know it was a condition. i've also been to the gastro and had a gastroscopy done for my gas complaint and after years of doctor visits the major problems they found with my body (keeping in mind that i don't think i've ever adressed malabsoption) was: minor inflammation(gastroscopy-intestines), colitis, very low amounts of vit b-12 and vitamin D, and that my hormones are under stress. i never really had much help from doctors. i've had comments like "everybody has gas deal with it" to "its psycho-sematic" or "heres some prozzak you'll feel better soon"

my life right now is pretty crappy. because of my uncontrollable gas issue i've stopped going out with friends. things right now are just not normal. the constant need to eat is extremely tiresome. i've stopped lifting weights because i'm not seeing results like i used to when i was 17ish. i do cardio (which i hate for obvious reasons) and eat very healthy..i fear the protein is possibly not getting to my muscles. i also have sort of a monotone voice. my entire family in general is fine. i have all these rare and weird problems. but my main concern right now is help with the malabsoption.
does this sound like it to you? i'm currently taking supplements and vit b12 shots that aren't doing anything.
doesn't it make sense that the gas and the inability to digest certain foods is from malabsoption. these are both rare cases.
i had a stool test as well as a gastroscopy performed before with nothing major to report, but at that time i never mentioned malabsoption. if i was to have that done now would that change anything?

sorry if my message is confusing, any help and suggestions will be great. like i said i'm currently seeing an environmentalist and am on supplements, and vit b shots (for the gas and fatigue/concentration). i do cardio regularily and the selective diet i'm on now is at least healthy and seems to be filling.

i'll post this in a few forums to better my odds for input

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Major Malabsorption issue

Your symptoms sound to me like an endocrine disorder, but then, malabsorption can cause endocrine problems so I suggest you see an endocrinologist to rule out thyroid issues, diabetes or adrenal gland disorders (always hungry, no weight gain, adams apple/throat fullness) and then see a gastroenterologist to be tested for the malabsorption syndrome Celiac disease - among several other things, like Crohn's disease and IBS.

There are blood tests for Celiac and/or biopsy through endoscope.

Autoimmune thyroid disease (hyper-thyroid or hypo-thyroid) is often seen with Celiac, I have Celiac and autoimmune hypothyroid.

Here's an info page on excessive hunger, medically known as hyperphagia: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003134.htm

Old 06-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
(male)

MJontario66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieLeela View Post
Your symptoms sound to me like an endocrine disorder, but then, malabsorption can cause endocrine problems so I suggest you see an endocrinologist to rule out thyroid issues, diabetes or adrenal gland disorders (always hungry, no weight gain, adams apple/throat fullness) and then see a gastroenterologist to be tested for the malabsorption syndrome Celiac disease - among several other things, like Crohn's disease and IBS.

There are blood tests for Celiac and/or biopsy through endoscope.

Autoimmune thyroid disease (hyper-thyroid or hypo-thyroid) is often seen with Celiac, I have Celiac and autoimmune hypothyroid.

Here's an info page on excessive hunger, medically known as hyperphagia: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003134.htm
thanks for the response, much appreciated
i have seen an endocronologist 2 years ago regarding my gas issue..he wasn't very helpful and seemed to think my gas issue was made up. i did not mention the malab issue however. i have been tested for celiac disease and it appears i don't have it..same with crohn's disease. i do strongly believe i have a ibs condition.
i also believe that i have a major thyroid issue present..something along the lines of hyperthyroidism.

my next priority is definately to seek a quality gastrologist. maybe a endoconologist first i will ask my doctor on my next visit

i am wondering however how accurate the tests are for these conditions. i am almost running out of ideas on which way to go.

i saw a homeopath who believed i have an underproductive liver and small intestine. he prepared these little pellets which tasted like candies that i routinely took as well as vitamins and supplements but nothing worked

the biggest thing for me is that the gas and malabsoption i am hoping are caused by the same disease. it would kill me if i had to fight them both with separate treatments

Old 06-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Not-for-profit teaching hospitals are a good source for quality physicians. IBS could definitely be causing the gas issue and rapid or slow digestion from the IBS could cause some malabsorption.

Tests for Celiac can be misinterpreted by the technician or the doctor. The blood tests for thyroid disease should include thyroid antibodies, TSH, T3, T4 and T7 and maybe an ultrasound. (some docs only check TSH)

You mentioned you were diagnosed with "colitis", did you mean diarrhea or were you actually dx with inflammatory bowel disease? (IBD not to be confused with IBS, irritable bowel syndrome)

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 06-01-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
(male)

MJontario66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieLeela View Post
Not-for-profit teaching hospitals are a good source for quality physicians. IBS could definitely be causing the gas issue and rapid or slow digestion from the IBS could cause some malabsorption.

Tests for Celiac can be misinterpreted by the technician or the doctor. The blood tests for thyroid disease should include thyroid antibodies, TSH, T3, T4 and T7 and maybe an ultrasound. (some docs only check TSH)

You mentioned you were diagnosed with "colitis", did you mean diarrhea or were you actually dx with inflammatory bowel disease? (IBD not to be confused with IBS, irritable bowel syndrome)
to be honest with you i don't think i was diagnosed with colitis..i'm sure i was tested for it but not once did a doctor mention it to me. the situation for me is really messy. the major reason is that most doctors don't take my issues seriously. i've been told on multiple occaisions to see a psychiatrist which aggravated me so much. i did end up finally seeing one and it turns out i'm sane which very valid digestive issues and completely normal ( you don't say?!) . i mean i am pretty bummed and depressed over the issue but its not the reason why my digestive system has broken down. i've never been a stressed out kind of guy. i'm actually very loose and fairly immature for my age.
anyway i had a family doctor who i didn't find very compassionate or determined to fix my problems. i had a blood test done for my thyroid and again nothing major was reported which i couldn't believe. i keep telling my parents that this can't be right, the doctors are either making mistakes or i'm not being analyzed thoroughly. i've researched digestive problems and the thyroid plays a massive role. for them to tell me my thyroid is fine is baffling.

my hope is to get to the botton of these issues by the end of this year. for every meal i see my dad eat, i've already eaten like 3 bowls of rice,bulgar wheat, kidney beans and spinach. my dad is contantly doing work around the house sweating and burning calories while i'm either playing on my guitar, reading a book or watching basketball on tv. i realized why its hard for my mom or dad to get me to participate in chores around the house because i expend calories so easily.

are you a doctor by the way? i find your responses very insightful and helpful. once again thank you very much

Closed Thread