It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User
Question for people with Gastroparesis

How many bowel movements do you have a week? I am trying to determine if I have this disease or not. Thanks for reading my question.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
(female)

heqet HB User
Re: Question for people with Gastroparesis

I don't have gastroparesis, but "normal" bowel movements can be anywhere from 3 times a day to every 3 days. Everyone is different. I am closer to the every 3 days mark.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

Thanks for your comment. I was assuming that people with this disorder may have less bowel movements during the week. I have at "least" 1 a day, so I just wanted to see if that is indicative of whether I had this or not. I've done many tests, but not a gastric emptying test.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

Mitch5 HB User

I have both gastroparesis as well as dumping syndrome which means my stomach decides to either empty slowly or empty rapidly which, the doctor at Mayo concludes that my stomach dysmotility is due to what food intolerances I have and depending on how my stomach processes the food will determine if it wants to work more slowly or more quickly.

Anyway, before I realized I had both conditions I had chronic diarrhea for years and years. Once the nausea started up in full force the bowel movements slowed down some to where sometimes I was only having a BM once every 2/3 days. But even that has since gotten better since I have added a digestive enzyme and probiotic to the mix. I am going now a couple times a day even.

I think it's true, one who only has gastroparesis (and not the situation I have where I have both slow and rapid emptying) tends to have few BMs because things are being held up longer in the stomach.

In your case it's hard to tell whether once a day means anything... what I do know is you very well still could have gastroparesis even if you are going only once a day.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
(female)

nathawk99 HB User

Hi Mitch5,

I was just diagnosed with GP myself and am doing a lot of research and appreciate fellow GP patients' stories. I was particularly interested in your TMJ issues being linked to GP. What happened with your case? Any additional information by your docs?

I hope this message reaches you feeling well.

Thanks,
Nat

Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
(female)

katfla HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch5 View Post
I have both gastroparesis as well as dumping syndrome which means my stomach decides to either empty slowly or empty rapidly which, the doctor at Mayo concludes that my stomach dysmotility is due to what food intolerances I have and depending on how my stomach processes the food will determine if it wants to work more slowly or more quickly.

Anyway, before I realized I had both conditions I had chronic diarrhea for years and years. Once the nausea started up in full force the bowel movements slowed down some to where sometimes I was only having a BM once every 2/3 days. But even that has since gotten better since I have added a digestive enzyme and probiotic to the mix. I am going now a couple times a day even.

I think it's true, one who only has gastroparesis (and not the situation I have where I have both slow and rapid emptying) tends to have few BMs because things are being held up longer in the stomach.

In your case it's hard to tell whether once a day means anything... what I do know is you very well still could have gastroparesis even if you are going only once a day.
I have a lot of the same stuff going on. Can you PLEASE share what digestive enzymes and probiotics you use???

Closed Thread