It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

susieq14 HB User
anyone take carafate?

I received a script from my GI for Carafate and was wondering if anyone here has used this drug and if so for what condition and did it have any side effects for you and did it work?

I have GERD with acid reflux (which caused erosive esophgitis), gastric polyps, delayed stomach emptying (but not gastroparesis), lactose intolerance and IBS. She is now thinking I might have bile reflux as well. I take 40 mg Nexium twice a day and have my bed on blocks and don't do caffeine and carbonated drinks and still have some upper discomfort in my chest off and on. She said there is a test for bile reflux - it is similar to the 24 hour Ph probe when they insert a tube down your nose and you are hooked up to a monitor but she said why don't you try the carafate for 3 weeks and see if it helps.

I hate starting a new med and I have had the script since June and just filled it 2 weeks ago but have not tried it yet.

thanks for any insight!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: anyone take carafate?

Carafate is a medication that kind of lines the stomach to protect it. It's frequently used to recover from acute gastritis. I found it to be very effective and I had no side effects while taking it. For me, it was prescribed for a limited time, just to give my stomach lining a chance to heal, and I believe that's the most common use of it.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

susieq14 HB User

Thank you Ruth for sharing your experience!

Old 09-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
(female)

dgore HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq14 View Post
Thank you Ruth for sharing your experience!
Susie, how did everything work out for you? I'm in the same situation. I'm 30 and have severe acid/bile reflux. I also am lactose intollerant, have IBS and they are wondering if my GI tract is slow. I"m about to have the 24 hour probe test thing done. I"m on protonix 2 times a day, carafate up to four times a day, cholestyramine- 1 1/2 packets, and zantac once a day. I eat very little, am on a strict diet, am a healthy weight- 5-5/112 pounds, and have my bed raised. Please only write encouraging things!! : )

Old 09-27-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
(female)

susieq14 HB User

Hello Dgore!
I'm sorry and embarrassed to say I have not tried the carafate yet. I was really busy at work the end of August and first week of September so I didn't want to try anything new just in case. I'm really bad when it comes to taking a new med - I make myself crazy over it. So I'm assuming taking the carafate for you was okay?

I'm sorry to hear of all your discomfort and wish you lots of luck with the 24 hour probe. I had one 3 years ago for the acid reflux. It's a little uncomfortable but it is doable - hey if I survived it you can too. Just think positive that it will help give you some answers to what is happening. Have you had other tests like an upper GI and upper endoscopy? I've had both of those and the 24 hour probe, a gastric emptying test, the Bravo test and a capsule endoscopy and of course a colonoscopy (actually have had 3 in 4 years). Is your 24 hour probe is for bile reflxu or acid reflux?

You are doing the right thing watching your diet and raising your bed. You do sound like my clone except for one thing - I weigh more than you. I'm 5'5' but weigh 160. I did lose a little weight back in 2004 at the start of all this unexpectedly and then made a conscious effort to get in shape and lose more. I lost 52 pounds and have kept it off for 3 years. I'm supposed to lose 15 more but I'm stuck, but at least have not gained any.

Let us know how your testing goes.
Take Care!

Old 09-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
(female)

pupsmom HB User

Hi Susie,

I've been taking carafate for maybe 5-6 weeks now. It says to take it four times a day on an empty stomach as needed. I discussed with my GI who prescribed it, and she told me to just go ahead and take it before and after meals if I wanted. I can't tell if I have side effects anymore or if my problems are from what I 'have', whatever that is. Suppose to coat your stomach somewhat I think. I don't see where it's done much at all for me. If you look at my thread from pupsmom, I'm in a horrible mess myself and don't know what to do. Good luck to you though!

Julie

Old 09-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
(female)

DLC08 HB User

Hi,I was prescribed carafate too after I had a endoscopy. Dr was looking for a reason why I had lost so much weight so fast. After endoscopy dr told me she found a small peptic ulcer and the medicine would help to heal it. I did fine on it for a while but recently started feeling sick to me stomach sometimes. I was taking it 1 hour before meals and it made it hard to eat when you feel sick, so I started taking it 2 hours before instead. The nausea is not as bad but I know that I have to take the entire prescription to heal the ulcer. Sure is a big bottle for only 2 tsp. each time. Seems like it would take months to use it all. I have not had any other symptoms. Have you had a endoscopy? It really gives the dr a chance to see what's going on in the stomach. It is not a painful procedure but you will be asleep so you have to have someone drive you. Let me know how your doing. Everyone on this site is so caring. I have been through alot so I know how you feel. Best to you!!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
(female)

susieq14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupsmom View Post
Hi Susie,

I've been taking carafate for maybe 5-6 weeks now. It says to take it four times a day on an empty stomach as needed. I discussed with my GI who prescribed it, and she told me to just go ahead and take it before and after meals if I wanted. I can't tell if I have side effects anymore or if my problems are from what I 'have', whatever that is. Suppose to coat your stomach somewhat I think. I don't see where it's done much at all for me. If you look at my thread from pupsmom, I'm in a horrible mess myself and don't know what to do. Good luck to you though!

Julie
Julie,

I read your original post and really wish I had something encouraging to say to you. I am certainly glad that they are sending you to a GI at another larger hospital. I hope that they agree to see you and that they fight your insurance company so you can have the test that you need. when you say that you had a lot of bloodwork done but you are not anemia di they test your ferritin level and not just your hematoctit and hemoglobin. I'm not anemic but my ferritin was very low at a 5 last summer and I had to have a colonscopy to check for internal bleeding and when that came back clear, they scheduled me for the pillcam to check the lower intestine. When that was clear I was sent off to a hematologist and eventually put on iron supplements. to make a long story short, I want you to check your bloodwork and see if you were tested for your ferritin, iron saturation, TIBC etc. Maybe they are saying your not anemic because your H and H are normal like mine was but I still had iron deficiency anemia which is different from anemai they tell me.

Best of luck!

Old 10-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User

i take carafate, i have severe stomach problems and anxiety. i actually really helps with the anxiety attacks.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
(female)

pupsmom HB User

Hi Susie,

Ferritin? What is that? I'm learning so much on this website! I did have the colonoscopy, and NOTHING. Said everything looked real good. Every single test says it all looks good. That's what is so aggravating. And as for those pea-sized things I mentioned, in the stool,,,,,,,,,, NO ONE knows what they are! I am beside myself. Insurance is all good now, and have been referred to University of Md and Johns Hopkins! Sooooo, happy about that.

I hope you're doing better!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #11
(female)

harleygirl77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq14 View Post
I received a script from my GI for Carafate and was wondering if anyone here has used this drug and if so for what condition and did it have any side effects for you and did it work?

I have GERD with acid reflux (which caused erosive esophgitis), gastric polyps, delayed stomach emptying (but not gastroparesis), lactose intolerance and IBS. She is now thinking I might have bile reflux as well. I take 40 mg Nexium twice a day and have my bed on blocks and don't do caffeine and carbonated drinks and still have some upper discomfort in my chest off and on. She said there is a test for bile reflux - it is similar to the 24 hour Ph probe when they insert a tube down your nose and you are hooked up to a monitor but she said why don't you try the carafate for 3 weeks and see if it helps.

I hate starting a new med and I have had the script since June and just filled it 2 weeks ago but have not tried it yet.

thanks for any insight!
I'm sorry to hear that, and yes i take carafate 2x daily along with nexium 40mg, Zantac 300mg, Bentyl 20 mg. I have been diagnosed with IBS, GERD, Gastritis, La Class B Erosive Esophagitis in my (GE Junction) & LA Class A Esophagitis in my (Esophagus). I have been on all 4 medicines for a year & my symptoms are getting alot worse & the drs won't do anything more than an upper GI. So, I am looking for a new dr that will help me. Good Luck & I hope the drs will help you. God Bless.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
(female)

mtfksb HB User

Hi, I just saw your post and I just starting taking carafate. I have reflux, gastroparesis and general stomach issues. I take zegrid(like nexium) twice a day and domperidone for gastroparesis. Let me know if you notice any side effects or if the carafate is helping. My pharmacist described it as a "band aid" for the stomach. So far I haven't noticed anything positive or negative from taking it.
Mary

Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
(female)

candolino HB User

I just saw this post. I was taking carafate for 2 years and it helped me. Out of nowhere it stopped helping me and doesn't help me at all anymore. I got another endoscopy done and i still have the same stomach problems i did while on carafate so i have no clue why the medicine stopped working.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
(female)

chickman05050 HB User

I had gastroparesis following a surgery for Crohn's Disease 2 years ago. I lost a lot of weight and was constantly vomiting prompting a j-tube. I had this for 3 months and was able to eat small meals afterwards. Now, I had a 6 hour ankle replacement in May and I have been constantly nauseated with all tests run to be negative. With each surgery I have, GI issues arise. The doctor feels as if it is motility issues. I have taken so much Zofran that it is no longer worked. Now I am taking an extremely small dose of Remeron and the nausea improved, however, I continue not to be able to eat anything besides shakes, potatoes, peanut butter, and bread. The doctor has prescribed Domperidone and was I wandering side effects of this medication as the Remeron had to be compounded to a very low dose because of my sensitivity to medication. Thanks

Closed Thread