It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
(female)

Mitch5 HB User
Digestive Enzymes & Probiotics.. what kind does everyone take?

I have both issues with my stomach emptying slowly and rapidly depending on what I eat and this was determined by top notch Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. My doctor wants me to keep a food diary and told me to immediately go on Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes, ginger and peppermint oil for nausea. It amazes me how Mayo Clinic even understands the need for a holistic approach which is very reassuring...

Anyway, I am fiddling with different digestive enzymes and probiotics, trying to find the right ones...

I have tried Align before discovering that I am probably lactose intolerant so I need dairy free everything...

I tried about 3 different probiotics and I am also on my third digestive enzyme...

What works for all of you for both probiotics and digestive enzymes as far as brands and companies that sell them?

Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to Mitch5:
adesh (02-25-2011)
Old 08-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
(female)

Mitch5 HB User
Re: Digestive Enzymes & Probiotics.. what kind does everyone take?

Thank you very much! I will do just that.

Can I ask what issues you have with your digestion? Something close to what I have wrong?

Thanks again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

I am older & have every digestive problem you can think of, so it would just confuse you. But no gallbladder; gastritis; gerd are a few. Hope you can google the above & get to those products.

Took me years to find out I needed gluten free products, including the above.

Take care..................carole

Old 08-31-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
(female)

Mitch5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroleye View Post
I am older & have every digestive problem you can think of, so it would just confuse you. But no gallbladder; gastritis; gerd are a few. Hope you can google the above & get to those products.

Took me years to find out I needed gluten free products, including the above.

Take care..................carole
I think I need gluten free products too even though I tested negative for Celiac I highly suspect I am intolerant to gluten and that is a major factor with me too.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch5 View Post
I think I need gluten free products too even though I tested negative for Celiac I highly suspect I am intolerant to gluten and that is a major factor with me too.
My testing showed that I was gluten intolerant, but didn't have celiac. Think it's how high the #'s are.

Good luck with your new diet; I wish I could just take a "PILL" !!!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Post Re: Digestive Enzymes & Probiotics.. what kind does everyone take?

There are over 400 strains of bacteria in your GI tract that are in constant war-fear for dominance.
I think it best to help the good friendly bacteria win the battle,

There are many good probiotic on the market- I eat yogurt daily --Stonyfield Farm, eat Kefir several times weekly, take a broard spectrum probiotic like PB-8 and L Reuteri that kills off many bad bacteria on contact. It also helps to take a digestive enzyme with every meal -- I like and take Digestive Aid by Solgar.

Harry

Old 04-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
(female)

Tricia2007 HB User

Hi Harry,

You responded to me last night on my thread and said your wife has been on Prilosec for 15 years with no side effects. Something rang a bell for me. I went off my PPI because of symptoms such as bloating and stomach aches, mainly. Now I am having burning again which is why I went on Omeprazole in the first place, for GERD. I just think I need to get back on the Omeprazole, but take DIGESTIVE ENZYMES and PROBIOTICS in conjunction with the Omeprazole, which I was not doing before. Could this be the reason I was having bloating and stomach aches, because my stomach was lacking enzymes and probiotics ( which I think were being depleted from the PPI? ) I am hoping this is the answer. Burning returned tonight with a vengeance, so do not think it would be smart for me to go off the PPI. I don't have great family history in this department, so want to be smart and do the right thing, plus feel "normal" again. What do you think?

Thanks so much.
Tricia

Old 05-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi Tricia,

I read your last few posts but don't think I have any clear grasp or understanding of present problems.

I would like to know where the burning is located and where the bloating is as well as stomach aches are located. Is the burning in the mouth, tongue or throat or stomach.
Also, does the burning, bloating & aching happen at the same time, separately, prior or after eating. And, is there any foods or drinks that help or make things worse.

Are the symptoms better or worse on an empty stomach or just after eating or several hours after eating.

Digestive enzymes basially help digest foods and there are very different for each food-- like proteins, carbs, fats, lactose and others.

Probiotics have many functions and each strain work differently. Some help digestion and pass through the GI tract, some kill bad bacteria strains like E-coli, listeria & salmonella and some are friendly taking up residence in your intestines, and some help your immune system. All are extremely important since about 80% of your immuity is derived from your gastrointestinal tract that is 28 feet long.

Sorry to ask so many questions but I have been on this board for many years and I prefer not to be trivial with answers or advice.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 05-04-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
(female)

Tricia2007 HB User

Hi Harry,

Due to an endoscope about 18 months ago indicating I have GERD, the doctor put me on Omeprazole. I started having symptoms after about a year ago of bloating and stomach aches. All the research I have done revealed to me that low acid could cause these sypmtoms. Sure enough, I stopped the Omeprazole and the symptoms went away. But after a week ( off of the PPI ) I started having burning in chest area and stomach. ( I also started digestive enzymes and probiotics too... burning stll remained ) So two days ago I started taking the Omeprazole again and have the bloating and stomach aches again! It has to be the Omeprazole. ( even with the enzymes and probiotics ) It is trading one thing for another so I don't know what to do. Are there some PPI's that people tolerate better than others? It is just getting me down because it is always one thing or another.

Thanks for any suggestions or information. I am 55 years old, in good shape otherwise. I eat well.. try to avoid all foods and drinks that aggravate GERD. Not sure what I can do.

Thanks so much..
Tricia

Old 05-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Tricia,

There are 6 PPIs on the market --Prilosec, Prevacid, Aciphex, Protonix, Nexeium and Zegarid. They all basically do the same thing -- reduce stomach acid but we are all indiviuals and very different for many reasons like life styles, our diets, rest patterns, basic constitutions because of our immune system and even heritage. Different nationalities eat and live differently.
PPIs were devloped in 1988 and have been the best anti acid on the market with good results for most people.

But, with Prilosec -- it gives you bloating and stomach aches. Other PPIs may work better. Finding the correct dose as well as the right one is very important.

My wife has diarrhea with Nexium and stomach problems with Prevacid. But, her problem is not GERD-- it is a swallowing problem and Prilosec has worked OK over the years.

I suggest that you try another type of PPI -- Like Aciphex -- it usually does not produce stomach pains and it is a time released type.

Bloating is usually caused by not having the good friendly type or strains of bacteria in your GI tract. A good broad range probiotic may help-- like PB-8 as well as others. But, just taking a PPI at the dose you are taking may interfear or clash with your digestion enough to cause bloating. More sensitive people have lots of problems. I eat Stonyfield Farm Yogurt daily and drink Kerfir several time weekly to keep my gastro tract in normal good shape.

Our stomachs need some acid for predigesting some foods. And, stomach acid is a built in barrier to stop infections-- germs don't live in an acid environment.

Digestive enzymes work well. I take 1 with every meal. The ones I use and like now are Vegatarian Digestive Aid by Solgar and Essential Enzymes by Source Naturals.

Elevating the head of your bed 3 to 4 inches can reduce problems if you are troubled with GERD burning at night. You may not even know you have this problem. But sleeping flat with GERD is not a good practice. Acid can seep up your esophagus and irriate it when laying flat sleeping

I wish you well---Harry

PS-- I read all of your previous posts since you joined Healthboards for your background. Topricin a pain relieve cream is the best cream I have ever used and we have used many. It may help with your DDD and other aches and pains. It is odorless and stainless as well as homeopathic and developed in 1994.
I also take Tenorman but I use 25 mgs 3X daily-- at least 7 hours between doses-- & --- it stops working after 7 hours.

Last edited by Harry; 05-05-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Additions & Typos

Old 05-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
(female)

Tricia2007 HB User

Thanks for all of your help, Harry. I began taking the Source Naturals Essential Enzymes and Probiotics by Jarrow about a week ago. I understand the importance of these supplements and will continue to implement them into my regimen.

I have recently been reading some "horror stories" from individuals about how PPI's have caused some pretty devastating side effects and symptoms for them-chest pains, HBP, neurological symptoms, etc. and it gets pretty scary. I have also read that the PPI's were not made for long term use, so that is frightening to me as well. I feel like I am choosing between taking a PPI and possibly being at risk for gastric cancer, or do I stay on it to prevent damage to esophagus and the potential for problems there? Or should I try to find natural alternatives? I know everyone has to find the best route for them, based on symptoms and one's own experiences. I just know the prilosec does bring about symptoms for me that effect the quality of my life. I find myself not wanting to do the things I always enjoyed doing, so not sure what to do about it at this point.

Your responses have been most helpful.

OH! ( not sure we can talk about tenormin on this board. Yes, I have been on it for over 15 years now. I know it causes fatigue for me. Does it for you, too?

Thanks for all your help, Harry.

Tricia

Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Tricia,
Just wanted to touch base and see how you are doing with your meds??

I think some people take PPIs because they are missed diagnosed for Acid Reflux. All burning of the throat and esophagus may not be caused by an excess of stomach acids that is refluxed--- it could be an Acidic post nasal drip/hay fever/allergy. This has happened to my wife this spring with the really bad pollen/ allergy season.

Your throat cannot tell if the burning is coming up from the stomach acid or down from an acidic nasal discharge in back of your throat since it has no sensors there and there is no feeling -- Your throat just burns.

My wife's throat burned for several weeks and she takes Prilosec for a swallowing problem. So, I determined the burning when swallowing dry or with food or drink had be caused by something else. I used several homeopathic remedies that cleared up about 75% of the burning from the irritating, acid discharge from the posterior nares /hay fever and then an anti-histamine to clear up the remaining nasal problem. We never change her Prilosec dose of once daily.

Also, as you know-- Tenormin is a blood pressure medication (beta blocker) that slows down the heart rate and dilates the blood vessels and it does have a side effect of making you tired/ fatiqued but every one reacts differently. I have taken it for 28 years and yes it causes fatique!!

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 05-19-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Typos

Closed Thread