It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1
klm9707 HB User
Re: Abdominal pain goes away laying down

I have the same problems you folks have described. I even throw up at times. I have been being treated for GERD to find out later that GERD is only part of my problem. I also have a spastic colon and during a colonoscopy it was discovered that I have a twisted colon. At last, finally an answer to all my pain. There is no cure but along with my "little blue pill" (can not remember prescription name) and stretchy clothing (no more jeans) sun dresses, yoga pants etc are my new wardrobe, i am now able to cope with this.

 
Old 02-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #17
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 6
Machaman HB User
Re: Abdominal pain goes away laying down

Quote:
Originally Posted by klm9707 View Post
I also have a spastic colon and during a colonoscopy it was discovered that I have a twisted colon.
Wow, I can't believe I finally came across a forum where others have the same problems!! I've been going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with me!! My symptoms are VERY similar: a kind of 'gnawing' pain coming from behind or just below the sternum - almost an intense hunger but slightly nauseating (??). It goes away completely while sleeping but comes back very soon after getting out of bed. It gets better/goes away if I lie down. If I push into the painful area, I can actually feel something like a bubble moving around(??!) and it seems to feel better. My bowel movements have slowed since these symptoms started but no diarrhea. Pretty bad gas though. I've tried antacids and proton inhibitors (nexium, etc) and they don't touch it. Food choice seems unconnected. I've had cameras in my stomach twice, barium swallows, barium enemas, x-rays, CT scans, sonars, 24-hour stomach acid tests (wire through the nose into the stomach for 24 hours- pure hell!) and esophagus pressure tests (another wire up the nose and down the throat while drinking liquid -more pure hell!). They found nothing but an extremely healthy digestive system! However, they also found that I, too, have a TWISTED COLON (an 'extra loop' as they said) Perhaps this has something to do with it? This nightmare all started while I was aggressively working out to lose weight. I wondered if I caused a hiatal hernia but the docs don't seem to think so. They don't know what to do and I am left suffering daily. This pain is a constant daily companion and it has been 7 months since it started. I REALLY hope someone else has experienced a cure for this. What was the name of the blue pill you are taking? Has it relieved your symptoms? Anyone else have any info?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #18
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 96
stressedtomax HB Userstressedtomax HB Userstressedtomax HB User
Re: Abdominal pain goes away laying down

I am having some of the same symptoms. The pain right below the breastbone. Mine is also accompained with pain in the neck or back also. But it is always the pain under the breastbone. I find laying down the one thing that stops it, sometimes it will take a while. I have had cardiac tests and recently had the scope procedure done. They said there was some gastritis but nothing to explain the pain I was experiencing. Mine is occurring daily the last two weeks, and have become worse. I have realized that bending and kneeling make it worse. Food does sometimes cause it also, but not as intense as with standing, bending, kneeling. The doctors look at me like I am crazy when I try to explain it. I do have alot of gas though, more than I have ever had. Sometimes when I get to do something I will get pressure at that point and many times I will burp or have gas (sorry, but true) and it will help. I have started a ppi, but I am having headaches from them and so far have seen no improvement. I am wondering if is a combination of things, maybe something digestive and maybe some type of pull or tear in a muscle. I am hopeful some doctor will find an answer, I am afraid to do much of anything because I don't know when the pain will hit, and when it happens I feel like I have to lay down immediately. My heart starts racing after this, but that may just be my anxiety or panic. I am so glad to here that there are some people who have some of the same symptoms, so I am not crazy. I do have to go back to the gastro specialist to go over biopsy results from the scope (which I am sure will be fine) and will mention the colon. I did tell the specialist, that I had to have an answer. If I find out anything I will post it here.
I am just glad to hear that others have this pain when doing something and it gets better laying down, because usually people say there pain is worse when lying down. Lets hope one of us gets some answers.

 
Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: west c
Posts: 33
bay7000 HB User
Re: Abdominal pain goes away laying down

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedtomax View Post
I am having some of the same symptoms. The pain right below the breastbone. Mine is also accompained with pain in the neck or back also. But it is always the pain under the breastbone. I find laying down the one thing that stops it, sometimes it will take a while. I have had cardiac tests and recently had the scope procedure done. They said there was some gastritis but nothing to explain the pain I was experiencing. Mine is occurring daily the last two weeks, and have become worse. I have realized that bending and kneeling make it worse. Food does sometimes cause it also, but not as intense as with standing, bending, kneeling. The doctors look at me like I am crazy when I try to explain it. I do have alot of gas though, more than I have ever had. Sometimes when I get to do something I will get pressure at that point and many times I will burp or have gas (sorry, but true) and it will help. I have started a ppi, but I am having headaches from them and so far have seen no improvement. I am wondering if is a combination of things, maybe something digestive and maybe some type of pull or tear in a muscle. I am hopeful some doctor will find an answer, I am afraid to do much of anything because I don't know when the pain will hit, and when it happens I feel like I have to lay down immediately. My heart starts racing after this, but that may just be my anxiety or panic. I am so glad to here that there are some people who have some of the same symptoms, so I am not crazy. I do have to go back to the gastro specialist to go over biopsy results from the scope (which I am sure will be fine) and will mention the colon. I did tell the specialist, that I had to have an answer. If I find out anything I will post it here.
I am just glad to hear that others have this pain when doing something and it gets better laying down, because usually people say there pain is worse when lying down. Lets hope one of us gets some answers.

how long does that scope procedure take and is it uncomfortable? do you take meds before hand?

 
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #20
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 96
stressedtomax HB Userstressedtomax HB Userstressedtomax HB User
Re: Abdominal pain goes away laying down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay7000 View Post
how long does that scope procedure take and is it uncomfortable? do you take meds before hand?
It is really quick actually. The waiting before and after is the longest. Procedure is like 15 minutes. They put oxygen in your nose and some type of medicine that puts you to sleep so you do not feel anything. I woke up pretty quick. Later that night I had a couple of times where it was a little difficult swallowing, but my family has had the same procedure and they didn't. Maybe my throat is little sore today, I had the procedure yesterday.

 
Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 6
Machaman HB User
Re: Abdominal pain goes away laying down

Wow, that sounds like a MUCH easier procedure than they do here in Japan. I was awake the whole time and it was NOT fun at all! They make you drink some horrid anti-foaming liquid and then you have to stare at the ceiling with some anesthetic jelly in the back of your throat for five minutes. Then they stick a mouthpiece in and start sliding the scope down your throat! Of course it is instant trauma! For the first few seconds I just gagged and couldn't breathe. I actually thought I might die right there as I couldn't even say anything to warn them. Finally, I guess my body reverted to autopilot and I started breathing through my nose. The nurse was great - she rubbed my back and encouraged me as tears rolled uncontrollably down my face the whole time. The positive: I did get to see my entire upper digestive tract in realtime video with a running commentary from the doc. The moral: Be thankful you are where you are and not here! I hope we can find some info about this problem. Today it is pretty bad. I worked out pretty hard at the gym and I think this might have aggravated it. Has anyone else been checked for a hiatal hernia. I really suspect I have it but the docs seem to think otherwise. I also have a fairly constant swaying sensation - like a mild earthquake is happening. It actually occurs in time to my heartbeat! Does this sound familiar to anyone?

 
Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 96
stressedtomax HB Userstressedtomax HB Userstressedtomax HB User
Re: Abdominal pain goes away laying down

I am glad I had it done the way I did! I also thought I might have a hernia, but the scope hasn't shown it so I don't know. I am in so much pain, I just don't know what to do.

 
Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #23
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 6
Machaman HB User
Re: Abdominal pain goes away laying down

Hang in there! I know how frustrating it is, though. So many tests and no answers. My doc said no news is good news, but I found it very difficult to see the positive side of them not knowing how to fix me I may try out some other alternative treatments. Anybody have any luck with acupuncture, chiro etc?

 
Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #24
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 96
stressedtomax HB Userstressedtomax HB Userstressedtomax HB User
Re: Abdominal pain goes away laying down

My family says the same thing. They have ruled out so many things that I should be glad that it is not those things, but I just want to know. I had a really bad night. Pain off and on and when I got up my chest hurt and it was tight. My blood pressure (which I try not to take to often) was 149/96 and my pulse was 96 and that was after sitting down for about 10 minutes after showering. Before all of this happened my BP was perfect, the highest it would get was 130/90 and that would freak me out. At the hospital it was 167/97. Every one there seemed unconcerned but I wasn't. I thought of going to the ER again today, but I was just there Monday and they found nothing. My Dad came over and said he would spend the day with me and for me to just lay down. If it gets worse than we will go to some ER, maybe U of M's. I always wondered about alternative medicine myself, let us know.

 
Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #25
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 6
Machaman HB User
Re: Abdominal pain goes away laying down

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedtomax View Post
My family says the same thing. They have ruled out so many things that I should be glad that it is not those things, but I just want to know. I had a really bad night. Pain off and on and when I got up my chest hurt and it was tight. My blood pressure (which I try not to take to often) was 149/96 and my pulse was 96 and that was after sitting down for about 10 minutes after showering. Before all of this happened my BP was perfect, the highest it would get was 130/90 and that would freak me out. At the hospital it was 167/97. Every one there seemed unconcerned but I wasn't. I thought of going to the ER again today, but I was just there Monday and they found nothing. My Dad came over and said he would spend the day with me and for me to just lay down. If it gets worse than we will go to some ER, maybe U of M's. I always wondered about alternative medicine myself, let us know.
Well, I did go and try acupuncture. The doc was blind! This actually made me a little more hopeful that he might be able to find something and do something about it. He basically poked and prodded me and *****ed me with needles here and there. Then his assistant came and brushed a burning incense stick against my skin in various places. Obviously this was not a nice feeling - not terribly painful but like being stung by a mosquito or something. Then she put burning 'incense cone' things on various parts of my body and let them burn down near to my skin. These things really started to burn as they got down to the bottom! I was laying down so, surprise surprise, the pain got better. I was beginning to get hopeful! Then the smoke from the incense activated my asthma! I haven't had an asthma attack for a LONG time, so I was rather unhappy to add more problems to my plate. Well, I left there (after paying some serious dough) and got into my car. Sure enough, within a few minutes that familiar gnawing pain was back. The doc never said what he thought it was. I suspect he didn't know. No surprise there. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying alternative methods here, but that was probably enough for me! I am still in pain and am more or less resigned to the fact that I might have to live with this everyday until I die! I am still holding out hope that whatever the problem is will become much more severe and be visible to the docs - then they can fix it! Well, there is my rather bleak update. Anyone have any positive info?

 
Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #26
Newbie
(female)
 
Noizy Tribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Noizy Tribe HB User
Re: Abdominal pain goes away laying down

I have nothing positive to add, unfortunately. I thought the migraine medication might have helped, but on repeat attempts it didn't do much.

I know many people have stomach or colon issues in addition to this pain, but I'm starting to think that they aren't related to the source of the pain, but are a secondary problem.

The only consistent thing is that the pain seems to happen "where the ribs meet" or in the sternum area, and that the pain goes away when we lie down. Someone earlier posted that it tends to happen more often (or is more likely to happen?) if they're going somewhere, or on vacation. I find this as well - even small things, like if I'm planning to go to a car meet, the pain is more likely to show up. When I think back to the times it happens, I'm usually away from home, on a trip, or planning to leave the house (actually, it happens often when I'm training at a new job as well).

Maybe it's stress-related? That's the only thing I can think of right now. The fact that eating doesn't alter my pain at all (and the lack of any other stomach symptoms) really has me wondering if this even belongs under Digestive Disorders, or if some people with this pain just happen to also have digestive issues that might not be related at all.

When I brought it up to my previous doctor, he just said it sounded bizarre and I don't think he took it seriously. I was booked for an EGD and did not go. I don't think they'll find anything relevant. I'm going to bring it up to my new doctor (along with the backing now that other people have had similar symptoms, thanks to this site) and hopefully we'll get somewhere. I doubt it, but it's worth a try.

I'm really tired of having almost every trip or event ruined by such an annoying pain. Having to explain to someone that you just have to lie down for an indeterminate amount of time is really awkward when you're like...on a bus. Or in a car. Or in a mall.

 
Old 07-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #27
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 6
Machaman HB User
Re: Abdominal pain goes away laying down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizy Tribe View Post
I have nothing positive to add, unfortunately. I thought the migraine medication might have helped, but on repeat attempts it didn't do much.

I know many people have stomach or colon issues in addition to this pain, but I'm starting to think that they aren't related to the source of the pain, but are a secondary problem.

The only consistent thing is that the pain seems to happen "where the ribs meet" or in the sternum area, and that the pain goes away when we lie down. Someone earlier posted that it tends to happen more often (or is more likely to happen?) if they're going somewhere, or on vacation. I find this as well - even small things, like if I'm planning to go to a car meet, the pain is more likely to show up. When I think back to the times it happens, I'm usually away from home, on a trip, or planning to leave the house (actually, it happens often when I'm training at a new job as well).

Maybe it's stress-related? That's the only thing I can think of right now. The fact that eating doesn't alter my pain at all (and the lack of any other stomach symptoms) really has me wondering if this even belongs under Digestive Disorders, or if some people with this pain just happen to also have digestive issues that might not be related at all.

When I brought it up to my previous doctor, he just said it sounded bizarre and I don't think he took it seriously. I was booked for an EGD and did not go. I don't think they'll find anything relevant. I'm going to bring it up to my new doctor (along with the backing now that other people have had similar symptoms, thanks to this site) and hopefully we'll get somewhere. I doubt it, but it's worth a try.

I'm really tired of having almost every trip or event ruined by such an annoying pain. Having to explain to someone that you just have to lie down for an indeterminate amount of time is really awkward when you're like...on a bus. Or in a car. Or in a mall.

Still here, still suffering - daily I also suspected that this was stress-related and asked my doctor about that. Sadly, as my pain (discomfort is likely a better word) starts after I wake up and stays all day, every day, the doc didn't think it was stress-induced. The only way to be sure would be to try a run on some anti-depressants or something - which I would really rather not have to do as an experiment!

Well, I just did my yearly health check and that included a barium swallow and x-rays, so we'll see what they say this time.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I find that the discomfort gets particularly bad sometimes just before I fart (that sounds nice, eh?). I often wonder about that twisted (looped) colon I apparently have and wonder if the discomfort is actually happening there but I feel it higher up or something. Well, what a mystery...

 
The Following User Says Thank You to Machaman For This Useful Post:
zigzaggirl (07-16-2012)
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Mystery diagnosis? acute abdominal pain. NY 1009 Bowel Disorders 0 01-31-2009 09:21 AM
Torn Abdominal Oblique/Spinal Cord Injury SilentAngel Spinal Cord Disorders 1 07-17-2007 11:02 AM
Help with pain??? Transverse myelitis MS dilemma in detail frantickat Rare Disorders 4 03-05-2006 08:13 AM
upper abdominal pain elleyjaye Digestive Disorders 2 04-18-2005 06:16 AM
Sudden and very severe abdominal pain MoeALC Open to All Other Health Topics 2 05-23-2004 06:02 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



janewhite1 (20), bluepumkin (18), solofelix (17), Harry (13), Titchou (8), flipfleury (8), ladybud (8), MountainReader (7), jmarple (6), rufous57 (6)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (857), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:19 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!