It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Pain after endoscopic sphincterotomy

I had my ERCP with SOM on Monday. My biliary sphincter was so narrow that they couldn't even do the ERCP or measure the pressure. They did the ERCP and SOM on the pancreatic sphincter, and the pressure was twice normal. So they did a sphincterotomy on both the biliary and pancreatic sphincters.

I just got out of the hospital Wednesday evening. My pancreatic enzymes went way up Monday night and Tuesday morning, but were back to normal Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

I am still in quite a bit of pain. The pain is mostly in my back, below my right shoulderblade. It's a cramping pain that comes on in waves. I'm on vicodin, which makes the pain tolerable, but the cramping still comes through.

Has anybody else had this kind of pain after endoscopic sphincterotomy? How long will it last?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Re: Pain after endoscopic sphincterotomy

Hi, yes I've had pain an ERCP, actually had 3 of them, but one hurt more then the others. Give it several days and the pain will ease up a lot. Remember no aspirin. Feel better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

hi kehorner... I had a both a gallbladder and pancreatic duct sphinterotomy... sucks doesnt it. I had a lot of pain afterwards as well even though my enzymes were decreasing. I would say it took me a good week before I started to even feel better and still had some pain that lingered after that. Be very careful with what you eat so your pancreas doesnt have to work so hard (ie stay away for fat as absolutely as much as possible). I had to stick with liquids for a awhile after my ERCP's (particularly the sphinctorotomies). Hang in there, it will get better hopefully.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know it's normal. The PA I had on Wednesday in the hospital said it was, but my GI that did the procedure never mentioned that there would be any pain. I guess logically I should have assumed there would be, since they were cutting muscle. I was thinking it would be more like an endoscopy, and less like surgery.

The pain I think is a bit better. Still some stabbing crampy pain in my back and stomach. Woke up on Thursday morning in a ton of pain, but I think it might have been acid or bile pooling in my stomach. It got better after I took vicodin and sat up for a while. Still got me an express trip back to the hospital to check my enzymes again (still fine). Today was better. Started thinking about taking a pill around 4pm, but I had to drive about an hour to get back to my home (had been staying with parents). So I waited. Really wanted it around 7, but didn't get a chance to take it until 9. But still the one vicodin took care of my pain.

I'm hoping that within the next week or so it will get better. And I'm also hoping that the temporary pancreatic stent passes on its own. I'm off my parents health insurance as of tomorrow (snuck this procedure in just in time!). The x-ray will be covered under student health insurance, but they won't cover another endoscopy to retrieve the stent.

Closed Thread