It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
(female)

Sparkle88 HB User
Lactose Intolerance Stool Test

Hi,

I have been to the docs and they have told me that the only way they can test for lactose intolerance at that doctor surgery is with a stool test. I am just wondering though, I have been dairy free for just over a week and I am wondering if I should be eating lactose again before taking my stool sample? If so, how long for?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Lactose Intolerance Stool Test

I feel this is a question best directed at your doctor or phone his office and most likely the receptionist can tell you.

Most tests which look for gluten intolerance or inability to digest fats/carbs (lactose)/protein required you to be eating those foods so they can see whether you are having difficulties digesting these foods or whether these foods are doing you harm.

I know someone who was have a biopsy for gluten intolerance and had to be eating gluten containing foods for a good two weeks before doing the biopsy.

I had a stool analysis test which checked my digestion and many other things and i was simply told to do the test, but then again, they were not looking for a specific thing. I just had to eat my normal diet to see what was going on.

I would still call the doctor's office to get clarification.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
(female)

Sparkle88 HB User

Thanks for replying

I will give my doctors a phone and see what they have to say. My doctor didn't tell me much about the stool test. Do you know what it is that they actually look for in your stool to diagnose lactose intolerance?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

They look to see how well you digest carbohydrates as the sugar in the lactose is considered a carbohydrate. You can find loads more information on the net.

Good luck

Closed Thread