It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Sphinctor of Oddi Dysfunction Can losing weight help relieve the pain?

I have questions about Sphinctor of Oddi Dysfunction: I never have diagnosed with Sphinctor but my symptoms point to it. I was wondering:

If you have mild symptoms of Sphinctor of Oddi is it life threatening if you never treat it?

I am 80 lbs overweight and if you lose the weight will it improve your symptoms?

Does anyone hurt worse while walking with the pain under right rib and get better when you sit down?

Will eating low fat improve the symptoms?

anything on the market to improve the belching symptoms?

Does stress or anxiety bring it on worse?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Re: Sphinctor of Oddi Dysfunction Can losing weight help relieve the pain?

Hi Gigi - just saw your posting. I am wondering what your symptoms are as I am thinking I have this problem also. My symptoms are pain sometimes in the area my gb was removed, constipation, chest tightness, back ache on right side sort of on shoulder blade and general achiness.

My surgery was six months ago.

I resumed eating normally (not too much fat thought because I usually eat low fat) but I find some days food bothers more than others. I gave up low fat ice cream because I thought that caused issues and I also gave up decaf coffee which after surgery I was once again loving

So that's why I'm curious what your symptoms are also.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
(male)

tattooyu HB User

I had my GB removed in 2007 and was doing well until recently when GB symptoms started to return. I also suspect postcholecystectomy syndrome or Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.

For me, it's very stress-dependent. I am currently dealing with panic disorder and some PTSD from a traumatic event last year, and I have had IBS my whole life. The more relaxed I am, the better my bile flow seems to be. When I am stressed, I have more symptoms and my stool tends to be a bit on the lighter side (less bile). Guided imagery (CDs or tapes) is great.

I am not a doctor, but from what I've read it doesn't appear that SOD can be fatal.

Losing weight never hurts (unless it's unintentional and rapid). Being overweight (I'm about 40 lbs. overweight, down from 70 lbs.!) puts added pressure in the abdomen which can exacerbate reflux and other upper abdominal problem. My problems seems to be better now that I've lost the weight.

For me it's the opposite. Walking/standing feels better and sitting makes it hurt. Everyone is different.

If you don't have a GB, eating low-fat is also a good idea. You do need healthy fats in your, like omega-3 (salmon, walnuts), olive oil and even coconut oil in moderation which has good medium-chain fats and supposedly is antimicrobial.

I take a probiotic (good intenstinal bacteria) every day as well as digestive enzymes and that also seems to help a lot.

With all that said, when in doubt, ask your doctor. Get referred to a gastroenterologist who specializes in this kind of thing.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooyu View Post
I had my GB removed in 2007 and was doing well until recently when GB symptoms started to return. I also suspect postcholecystectomy syndrome or Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.

For me, it's very stress-dependent. I am currently dealing with panic disorder and some PTSD from a traumatic event last year, and I have had IBS my whole life. The more relaxed I am, the better my bile flow seems to be. When I am stressed, I have more symptoms and my stool tends to be a bit on the lighter side (less bile). Guided imagery (CDs or tapes) is great.

I am not a doctor, but from what I've read it doesn't appear that SOD can be fatal.

Losing weight never hurts (unless it's unintentional and rapid). Being overweight (I'm about 40 lbs. overweight, down from 70 lbs.!) puts added pressure in the abdomen which can exacerbate reflux and other upper abdominal problem. My problems seems to be better now that I've lost the weight.

For me it's the opposite. Walking/standing feels better and sitting makes it hurt. Everyone is different.

If you don't have a GB, eating low-fat is also a good idea. You do need healthy fats in your, like omega-3 (salmon, walnuts), olive oil and even coconut oil in moderation which has good medium-chain fats and supposedly is antimicrobial.

I take a probiotic (good intenstinal bacteria) every day as well as digestive enzymes and that also seems to help a lot.

With all that said, when in doubt, ask your doctor. Get referred to a gastroenterologist who specializes in this kind of thing.

Good luck!

Thank you for all that great information. I NOTICE THE SAME THING when I am stressed it gets worse. Especially around my menstrual cycle - when I feel depressed or down it gets bad - maybe they go hand in hand somehow. I do meditation too and I see a acupuncturist. There is a point for sod. I do breathing exercises when my stomach starts to hurt. My acupuncturist suggested coconut oil.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looly View Post
Hi Gigi - just saw your posting. I am wondering what your symptoms are as I am thinking I have this problem also. My symptoms are pain sometimes in the area my gb was removed, constipation, chest tightness, back ache on right side sort of on shoulder blade and general achiness.

My surgery was six months ago.

I resumed eating normally (not too much fat thought because I usually eat low fat) but I find some days food bothers more than others. I gave up low fat ice cream because I thought that caused issues and I also gave up decaf coffee which after surgery I was once again loving

So that's why I'm curious what your symptoms are also.

Thanks.

I have belching, pain under the right rib, nausea, colic feeling in stomach. Stress I think makes it worse. I eat low fat food, exercise, acupuncture treatment, and drink only water.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
(male)

tattooyu HB User

A good example:

I went to a party last Saturday. My friend is a professional chef. He used to work at Tavern on the Green, so he knows his stuff! He made his famous 3-day fried chicken, which takes that long to prepare and cook. It's the best fried chicken I've ever tasted... ever. Not greasy at all.

Now... I usually stay FAR away from fried chicken, but I couldn't pass it up. I decided I would have a breast and just have a little of the skin/coating and throw the rest away. I did. He also made some really rich risotto which I tried. After an hour, I started having pain in my right shoulder blade an just under my sternum. I didn't have to run to the toilet though, for which I was thankful.

Then the next day, for whatever possessed reason, I decided I would have a few French fries. I felt okay until Monday when the fatigue, headache and nausea started.

Last night, I woke up at 11:30 p.m. with a nice case of cramps and diarrhea. Today? I feel tired but better. The pains in my shoulder and chest are much less.

So remember, what you eat could affect you days later, not necessarily right away.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
A good example:

I went to a party last Saturday. My friend is a professional chef. He used to work at Tavern on the Green, so he knows his stuff! He made his famous 3-day fried chicken, which takes that long to prepare and cook. It's the best fried chicken I've ever tasted... ever. Not greasy at all.

Now... I usually stay FAR away from fried chicken, but I couldn't pass it up. I decided I would have a breast and just have a little of the skin/coating and throw the rest away. I did. He also made some really rich risotto which I tried. After an hour, I started having pain in my right shoulder blade an just under my sternum. I didn't have to run to the toilet though, for which I was thankful.

Then the next day, for whatever possessed reason, I decided I would have a few French fries. I felt okay until Monday when the fatigue, headache and nausea started.

Last night, I woke up at 11:30 p.m. with a nice case of cramps and diarrhea. Today? I feel tired but better. The pains in my shoulder and chest are much less.

So remember, what you eat could affect you days later, not necessarily right away.
You are so right about the food taking awhile to affect you - I had just 5 french fries from my kids lunch and it affected me the next day. Wow, you hit it right on the nose. I get tired too. I notice I can only eat half a sandwich rather than a whole one - I get full easily. The thing I hate is the pain is unpredictable - I just don't trust it. Either gas comes in different forms of pain or my liver is causing the pain. One morning I will wake up with a throbbing pain and then my anxiety starts because I feel i will be rushed to the hospital but then it passes with a belch. It sure does scare you. It gets worse too when you have stress and feeling blue.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:

Good luck!

By talking to you has made me feel alot better knowing I am not the only one suffering and I thought I was going crazy. The coconut oil you mentioned what do you take a supplement? like a pill from the health food store because acupuncturist recommended it. Has your liver enzymes ever gone up?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
(female)

Plzwant2feelbtr HB User

I was diagnosed with SOD last July 2009. My GI doctor had me do a HIDA Scan and the only results I got was it is my Oddi Sphincter, and that is why I have the pain. Well I was prescribed Impitredine 20 mg. (not sure of spelling) and pretty much pushed on my way.... No explanation on changes in my diet, etc. So I opted to do acupuncture which really really helped, but my insurance does not cover that. On xmas day I got the worst stabbing pain and the pain under my right rib returned, non stop aching and dull sharp pains. Now this is constant. Recently I had ultra sounds done from my primary doctor, and told my gall bladder looks normal, and to go see my GI Doctor again.... the other think is they saw a Complex ovarian cyst on my right ovary. Now is this related? I am confused. I have to have another ultra sound in 4 weeks, but I cannot get rid of the right pain under my rib.. (like I have a babies foot digging up there) I go see a NEW GI doctor next Monday... Any Ideas???? I am not over weight, I try to excercise daily, eat right, I have been gaining weight, not sure what I am doing wrong??? CAN SOMEONE HELP ME GET THE RIGHT DIAGNOSIS???

Old 01-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sod will cause that pain your describing. You get episodes that can last for a week or so from what I read on the net. I was told you can go on pain killers or get a ERCP from an experienced doctor but there is no guarantees because of the risks. You may get the pain back after the procedure and it may get worse. That is why I will just deal with the pain.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
(female)

Plzwant2feelbtr HB User

Is there any natural supplements I can take that may help?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
(female)

sunsetbeach HB User

gigi I went to dr cotton and he did an mrcp which was ok. He agreed it was Sod 2 because of my elevated enzymes during an attack and my horrible reactions to morphine. He wanted to do ercp next day but I did not want to since it was Christmas . He said 1 in 20 chance you will be here rest of the week with pancreatitis and 1 in 100 you will be here a month or more and in ICU with pancreatitis. That scared me and he is the best out there for this procedure. I got a prescription for levisin which helps some with sod. He said call in 4-6 weeks if not better and we can do the procedure. I have had 5 attacks since then but they only last 15 min or so. I have had a lot of dental work done lately and I figured out the mevipicaine ( like novacain) is giving me attacks as well. Every time I leave the dentist I have an attack in an hour or so. Are you on facebook gigi? I cant send a message it says messages disabled.

Last edited by sunsetbeach; 01-11-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbeach View Post
gigi I went to dr cotton and he did an mrcp which was ok. He agreed it was Sod 2 because of my elevated enzymes during an attack and my horrible reactions to morphine. He wanted to do ercp next day but I did not want to since it was Christmas . He said 1 in 20 chance you will be here rest of the week with pancreatitis and 1 in 100 you will be here a month or more and in ICU with pancreatitis. That scared me and he is the best out there for this procedure. I got a prescription for levisin which helps some with sod. He said call in 4-6 weeks if not better and we can do the procedure. I have had 5 attacks since then but they only last 15 min or so. I have had a lot of dental work done lately and I figured out the mevipicaine ( like novacain) is giving me attacks as well. Every time I leave the dentist I have an attack in an hour or so. Are you on facebook gigi? I cant send a message it says messages disabled.

I will check I didn't disable it. I think and this is my theory - you become more sensitive to medication when your gallbladder is removed because I noticed when I had a simple cavity after I came home from the dentist I had an attack. I can't take certain antibiotics like avelox or levequin because I get multiple attacks. My attacks are just nausea, feeling dizzy, belching and then my anxiety sets in and makes it worse. Now if I eat really bad food then I am up all nights running to the bathroom. These attacks last 15 minutes. I have learned to control them with breathing and heavy meditation. My stomach will act up every day every two months and last two weeks.

What are your attacks like again?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
(male)

tattooyu HB User

I believe a lot of medications are metabolized by the liver which could indicate why we have so many new problems with medication. I was always sensitive to meds, but never like this.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I believe a lot of medications are metabolized by the liver which could indicate why we have so many new problems with medication. I was always sensitive to meds, but never like this.

Just curious why would liver metabolize the medicine after the gallbladder is removed? I notice my hair is dry and brittle now and I take vitamins.

Closed Thread