It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
(male)

Chucky89 HB User
Malabsorption syndrome - need help...one question

If I told you my symptoms
you would assume i have hyperthyroidism they're that similar. I strongly believe i have malabsorption syndrome yet everything medical is showing otherwise. My thyroid test seems normal, i even had an endoscopy last week which seemed ok. Almost everything i eat provides zero fuel in my body. When i have hunger pain, i eat food like a 600 calorie burger for example, and it feels as if i've eaten nothing at all. i can't explain why but the only food that seems to absorb is brown rice pasta. I tell doctors that I eat all the time since im always at home and they say things like well you're not anorexic so you can't have m.s. I had a thryoid ultrasound 2 weeks ago again normal . I don't understand. I have plenty of symptoms i will only mention now that i also have involuntary gas.
Subways, bus, cars, my room smell like the food i've eaten. It usually burns in the rectal area and its usually wet of a colorless discharge.

My question is, I want to continue pursing M.S because i believe i must have it, but despite the tests i've done that show normal results, is it still possible that I have malabsoption? I honestly to God can't imagine its anything else. Thank you

Old 12-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
(female)

underthesea HB User
Re: Malabsorption syndrome - need help...one question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky89 View Post
If I told you my symptoms
you would assume i have hyperthyroidism they're that similar. I strongly believe i have malabsorption syndrome yet everything medical is showing otherwise. My thyroid test seems normal, i even had an endoscopy last week which seemed ok. Almost everything i eat provides zero fuel in my body. When i have hunger pain, i eat food like a 600 calorie burger for example, and it feels as if i've eaten nothing at all. i can't explain why but the only food that seems to absorb is brown rice pasta. I tell doctors that I eat all the time since im always at home and they say things like well you're not anorexic so you can't have m.s. I had a thryoid ultrasound 2 weeks ago again normal . I don't understand. I have plenty of symptoms i will only mention now that i also have involuntary gas.
Subways, bus, cars, my room smell like the food i've eaten. It usually burns in the rectal area and its usually wet of a colorless discharge.

My question is, I want to continue pursing M.S because i believe i must have it, but despite the tests i've done that show normal results, is it still possible that I have malabsoption? I honestly to God can't imagine its anything else. Thank you

Last edited by underthesea; 12-13-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: didn't reply

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

underthesea HB User

Have your doctor check for malabsorption with a stool study and have your vitamin levels checked. I feel the same way as you and I have fat malabsorption which was confirmed by stool tests that check the amount of fat. I have been through numerous tests - endoscopy, xylose sugar test, colonoscopy, abdominal CT - and they cannot find why I have malabsorption. Another indicator of fat malabsorption is pale stools and your stools will float. I lost a lot of weight and I am having a few other problems. My thyroid is ok and I was also checked for autoimmune diseases but all was fine. Good luck - it has been a long road for me.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
(male)

Chucky89 HB User

thank you for the feedback

here is what i have done lately: i did have a stool test in the summer when i adressed a concern to a new g.p doctor he said the results showed i was not lacking any vitamins or anything except i was getting too much vitamin D..i found this very bizarre because i don't even eat as much veggies as i should

i had an endoscopy last week and the doctor told me he didnt' find anything abnormal but suggested i probably have irritable bowel syndrome lol i already knew that..to suggest i have irritable bowel syndrome is very vague

so just to recap, your thryoid is okay but you still have a fat malabsorption? i am very interested because i feel like i'm on an endless dark road..according to tests my thyroid is okayy too..i always thought that the thyroid controls everything metabolic so if my thryoid was normal it had to be something else..so even with a "ok' thryoid i could still have malabsorption?
i just wonder if the doctors will want me to take another stool test..if theyy didn't find anything strange in the last one..but maybe its because they were looking at other things

how long of a road has it been for you? i feel so desperate and helpless at the moment..i am absolutely in disbelief at my situtation..my body is very sick and yet these tests are showing normal and i do not have any mental problems

from my research testing for malabsorption is a long process with many tests available..i know all these tests performed on me have shown nothing major but i know my body and its just not functioning correctly

Old 12-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
(female)

underthesea HB User

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes - my thyroid, hormones and vitamin levels are all normal except I recently show a slightly low vitamin d level. I just recently tested positive for lyme disease but I'm not sure if it is the cause as I can't find a connection between lyme and fat malabsorption. I am following up on the lyme diagnosis to see if that pans out. Other problems I have include joint pain, skin rashes/sensitivity, sinus congestion, oral thrush, brain fog, fatigue, headaches, nausea etc. I never have any severe stomach pains or anything. I have also been tested for Crohn's, celiac disease and parasites. My doctor initially thought that it was depression/anxiety causing the weight loss but I realized there was something going on when I continued to lose weight and could not gain a pound no matter how much I ate. Keep me posted if you find anything and let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
(female)

lymemom2 HB User

Wow! You must be feeling pretty confused and scared! My immediate question is did they do a biopsy or blood test for Celiac Disease? Even if that came back negative, you can challenge yourself, by removing ALL GLUTEN from you diet. You mentioned rice pasta which is gluten free. You may want to add a really good probiotic, and liquid vitamin, also maybe a digestive enzyme --all of these would be available at a health food store and possibly at a pharmacy. If your afraid it is malabsorption, then treat it that way with easy to digest foods like the rice products, fresh fruits and lightly cooked vegetables. These are just suggestions while you work to find out what is wrong!

Closed Thread