It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

pileocats HB User
Rotten Egg Flatulence

I have always been a gassy person, however the past couple of years, it has been horrible. I burp a lot, but when I pass gas, it smells like pure sulfur. My husband and children think it is worse that sulfur. I really think something is wrong with me. It is NOT normal. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy in July with negative results. My Dr. said that I had IBS and gave me a relaxant. I eat lots of fiber and try to eat fruits and vegetables. I wonder if I might have a wheat or dairy allergy? I am SO tired of this and want to find a treatment. HELP!!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Rotten Egg Flatulence

Do you have any sinus trouble? Sleep apnea? Drink alot of sodas, chew gum? Smoke? The reason I ask is because a major contributer to gassiness is air gulping. (aerophagia)

The other source is an overgrowth of bacteria in the intestinal track. Lactose intolerance can cause this, and we all naturally develop some degree of LI as we get older. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000276.htm

Food allergies are different from a food intolerance. A food allergy reaction usually starts with things like itchiness, hives, swelling in and around the mouth and throat, trouble breathing, dizziness or fainting.

All carbohydrates (sugar, fake sugars, fruit, wheat, vegetables) cause intestinal gas, except rice. I eat alot of rice.

Edited to add: Hey! Any snow in Wesley Chapel tonight? I'm too far south, I heard even Orlando might get some.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 01-09-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User

Yay floridians! Woot woot

Old 01-09-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I am the same way and if i eat processed foods it is really bad...it isn't just the smell it is that constant passing of gas and after while it is just down right annoying and uncomfortable to just pass gas no matter what in your sleep or just walking along! I have done some research on flatulence and discovered that some people's digestion tract just gets all yeasted up or over or something and yogart and those kinds of things don't break the cycle so I found quite by accident that if I take an antibiotic for a few days it stops the gas from forming for at least a month+ ...so for me I keep a supply of antibiotics(any kind seems to work but prefer Keflex) around and take one or two a day and it seems to help for awhile. Like I say that is what works for me and at this point I really don't care that taking an antibiotic for something undiagnosed shouldn't be done. All I know is that It gets so bad and uncomfortable to me it is a disease process and no doctor can help me and I tired it all. so good luck with yours.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Magustuff HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pileocats View Post
I have always been a gassy person, however the past couple of years, it has been horrible. I burp a lot, but when I pass gas, it smells like pure sulfur. My husband and children think it is worse that sulfur. I really think something is wrong with me. It is NOT normal. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy in July with negative results. My Dr. said that I had IBS and gave me a relaxant. I eat lots of fiber and try to eat fruits and vegetables. I wonder if I might have a wheat or dairy allergy? I am SO tired of this and want to find a treatment. HELP!!
Hi - can you private message me?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
(female)

poem HB User

Your post was in January, so you probably don't need help now, but I am just so glad I'm not the only one with this problem! It drives my family nuts and it's so embarrassing.
There have been some great answers already on the forum. I have been diagnosed with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and it has caused malabsorption of fructose and lactose. The overgrowth of bacteria causes the smell. The diagnosis was made by my doctor through a hydrogen breath test. I need to go on antibiotics often, and its much better after(the wind problem) until the bacteria overgrows again. Living in Australia, I don't have access to the American antibiotic (Rifamixin) that is supposed to be excellent for controlling SIBO, as it is not absorbed in the stomach. Sibo can occur at any age due to a motility problem. In my case, I suspect hypothyroidism was the culprit. It is really worth getting tested for sibo (and fructose/lactose absorption) because through not eating these foods I feel a lot better. Hope you are feeling a lot better now.

The Following User Says Thank You to poem For This Useful Post:
hopefloats36 (03-12-2012)
Closed Thread