It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
(male)

neil1977 HB User
how long does it take to get better from gastritis

how long does it take to get better from gastritis

Old 02-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
(female)

KarenHaston HB User
Re: how long does it take to get better from gastritis

Going through exactly the same and wondering how long gastritis lasts - read my post and let me know how you are - Im still really unwell and keep going of food and on and of bowel habits - pain when eating - tried small bits of very bland foods etc - can't seem to get back on track - totally fed up )))0:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
(female)

GlassPawn HB User

Hi,

Usually a doctor puts you on an acid-reducing drug to treat gastritis like Nexium, Prevacid, Protonix, Prilosec, and Aciphex, among others. These drugs usually take up to 8 weeks to reach their full effect since they mess with the acid-producing cells in your stomach and your duodenum. When I had gastritis, It took me some 2-3 weeks after starting an acid-reducing drug to feel some relief.

When I had gastritis (I also had esophagitis at the same time), I was put on various Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) to treat it. First, I was on Prevacid for a few weeks. I felt a little better on it, but didn't feel completely normal. So I went back to my doctor who then put me on Protonix. That didn't help me feel normal again. So I went back to my doctor again who finally put me on Nexium. Within a month of using Nexium, I felt completely normal and healthy again.

If you're concerned that you're current medication isn't working, talk to your doctor. You might just need to change medications. Each person is different and what works for one person might not work as well for another. Also, dietary and lifestyle changes usually help, so if you can avoid caffeine and spicy/fatty foods for awhile and see if that helps.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
(female)

KarenHaston HB User

Hi - Thanks for your message - I have cut out all spicey foods - tea - coffee and fizzy drinks - I have diluted drinks with mostly ice - very weak to taste. I am eating the blandest food - It is really odd how one day you feel like eating and the next you don't - I wnder what causes this? Also one day you feel better and the next your back to square one? Now that the antibiotics of the H Pylori are finished - I am on 40mg of Opromazole - so these have been taken on their own since Monday - no change as yet and the burning is horrendous at times (last night I was awake tll after 4am).... I am going back to the doctors on Monday (8th) for a general chat - I don't feel any better that when I first felt ill - and that is after being treat for the HPylori - How can I feel worse - Perviously I was able to eat without this burning pain - is this an after effect of the medication and the gastritis being worse with the triple does of meds - I really am so confussed by this and keep wondering - why is this worse - )))0:

Old 02-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
(female)

GlassPawn HB User

Hi again,

I can't speak to the antibiotics to treat the H.Pylori bacteria as I have never had to take them, but if you've only been on the PPI for about a week, you might just need to be on it a little longer to see if it helps. If I remember correctly, it took me 2-3 weeks for the burning sensation to completely subside. It's good that you're seeing your doctor soon. Your doctor might be able to give you something else to help ease that annoying burning sensation. Good luck and take care.

Closed Thread