It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

irene498 HB User
chronic Pancreatitis

I have had a few acute pancreatitis episodes. Since my last time to the emergency room the pain has not gone away. (August)Some days are better than others. Over the holidays I had some cocktails and very fatty foods and the pain the next day was so severe I couldn't stand up straight. I went to a Gastroentrologist and he sent me for a MRI. The results showed a supicious stricture in the bile duct. My physician claims it is just a shadow and there is nothing there. He dosen't agree with the Radiologist. I have pain everyday and even though I have changed my diet and intake of alcohol it is not going away. The doctor gave me Ultram and enzymes(270.00 a month) and something to keep me from getting stressed. My body is telling me there is something going on and this doctor is not listening. I told him I used to drink alot so he thinks it is scarring on the pancreas that continues to cause me pain. He is going to do a EUC even though the Radiologist suggested ERCP. I thought the EUC was for the stomach. I know I don't have ulcers because I can eat hotsauce in the morning with no heartburn. I only get that when my pancreas is acting up. He also suggested an epidural if the pain does not go away I have been living with enough pain, how long do I have to wait? Thanks for listening and if anyone has some words of comfort or suggestions please write. Thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User
Re: chronic Pancreatitis

I am 10 days now discharged from hospital with my first (and hopefully only) episode of acute pancreatitis and a subsequent gall bladder surgery and an ERCP procedure that removed one last galls stone and gall stone gravel. I was in hospital for 15 days. On this side of it, I cannot imagine jeopardizing my health by intentionally eating or drinking anything that might cause this to flare up again. I am eating no red meat, very little fat and only in the form of butter on toast. No sweets as my taste buds are very sensitve right now and the thought of anything fried or sweet is repulsive.
I had many gall bladder episodes, but had decided that they were also part of another injury to my back from an auto accident and didn't seek treatment for the frequent attacks. After a while, when the muscle relaxers no longer worked on the wrap around pain in the upper back and upper abdomen - I knew something else was amiss.
I just thought that all of the discomfort was coupled with some intense stress in my personal life and that it would eventually resolve itself - Now I know better.
My point is I suppose, that I want more than anything to avoid this ever again and if changing my diet forever is what it takes, then so be it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

Jo_bee HB User
Re: chronic Pancreatitis

I know this is an older thread but I hope to revivie it. People so often confuse chronic pancreatitis with acute pancreatitis and think that we will get over it some day and move on.

Chronic pancreatitis means just that. It is chronic forever.

I would like to read the good and bad that others with CP (chronic pancreatitis) go threw. My CP is said to only be mild at this point. It has been a source of much sickness in me for a long time but starting in fall of 2009 it began getting worse and worse with each month.

If I starve myself and eat as little as possible I feel less pain. There is very little I can eat that wont cause pain. Rice, veggies, popcycles and most fruits seem to work ok for me.

Meat, dairy, greasy foods, fake foods (processed to death foods with tons of preservitives, fake sugars (like aspertame) all make me hurt.

The weakness, bathroom issues, barfiness, pain and episodes of hot flashes are all things we with CP get to deal with.

I have both type 1 and type 2 diabets and CP is most likely the cause of that. Although the doc does not know that for sure since he hasnt done a gentic test to see if I have heriditary CP.

What have some of you with CP done to deal with it?

How do you manage?

Are you able to still get out to do stuff once in a while?

How/what do you eat?

Did Cp cause troubles in your pregnancies?

Closed Thread