It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

primalseams HB User
Hida Scan results (but took PPIs...)

About to have GB surgery due to chronic RUQ pain. Burning and almost pulsing- does that make sense to anyone? I was concerned that it might be duodenitis that I had years ago. But I can't get an endoscopy scheduled for weeks and I am in agony. Hida scan showed 20% ejection rate. Both gastro and surgeon feel surgery is quite reasonable and that I have 75-85% chance of feeling better.
My panic is that I just read that PPIs can skew hida scan results. No one told me not to take them and I took two the day before.
I also took mylanta and between the two I had diarrhea for days after the test...
I am scheduled for surgery next week. I am keeping a hot pad along my right side. I seem to have more problems in the afternoon and evening.
I am SO worried that my ejection fraction may be incorrect due to PPIs. I will try to reach doctors, but does anyone have any similar experiences? Also ulcer pain as compared to gallbladder? I just don't want to take out a healthy gallbladder....
Thank-you.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
Re: Hida Scan results (but took PPIs...)

On most HIDA ranges, an ejection rate below 35% is considered abnormal. Mine was around 23%. Your score of 20% is far below the cutoff point and is unlikely to have been changed much by having PPI's in your system. Anytime you have a score of 20% and pain they are going to suggest surgery or in some cases treatment with ursodiol.

PPI's are interesting drugs. In my case they were very helpful in quelling nausea and upset stomach due to gallbladder issues. However, there are a few studies that show that long term use may actually cause the gallbladder to contract less forcefully leading to a sluggish gallbladder.

If you choose the surgery route, just make sure you get a surgeon with lots of experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2010, 04:41 AM   #3
(female)

Finest1104 HB User

(PPI's are interesting drugs. In my case they were very helpful in quelling nausea and upset stomach due to gallbladder issues. However, there are a few studies that show that long term use may actually cause the gallbladder to contract less forcefully leading to a sluggish gallbladder.)

I wonder from years of taking these meds if it did contribute to my gallbladder getting worse. I just had mine removed about 2wks ago. HIDA said 12%. I was taking these meds for many years.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
(female)

primalseams HB User

Finest- what were your symptoms and how are you feeling? ( I called my gastro on this issue of PPI's and she just said "no, that's not true"......) I am on the fence about surgery- feel like I have a lot of reflux going on and can't tell if what I am feeling is duodenitis or this low functioning gallbladder. I guess I feel like I need to feel more confident in my decision. I am terrified that my already good diet is going to be non stop diarrhea after surgery.....

Old 03-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
(female)

Finest1104 HB User

My symptoms b4 surgery were: Years of suffering from gastric problems, among them acid reflux. Endoscopy & colonoscopy b4 surgery revealed irritation/errotion to esophogus, irritation to lining of stomach, fatty tissue along colon, pocket in small instestine and polyps.

This is in addition to the HIDA scan which stated gallbladder was functioning at 12%.

The pain I was getting was not your typical for GB which is usually pain on right side. My pain began suddenly in the middle under ribcage and radiated to left side and back, very debilitating and would last for approx 8 hrs.

Now after surgery, I actually was looking forward to the 'runs'...but no. I still am very constipated and could only go if I take at least 5 Dulcolax pills. Doctor says I have a lazy stomach and colon (gastroparesis). I still get some pain and full feeling when I eat just a little and am still belching like a big fat beer drinking man....but I'm a petite 5' 1" lady..LOL.

The surgery itself was not very painful. I did have alot of bloating and swelling the first week, but it has gone down and I was able to eat regular right after surgery. I go in a few days to have bandages taken off.

If you have had the HIDA and results are that you should have the surgery, you should not put it off. It may cause more problems if you just wait. I suffered for years without knowing that my gallbladder was not good. But I do have other issues beside GB.

BUT b4 surgery: make sure you have all tests to make sure it is that. Have you have an abdominal ultrasound? Bloodwork? HIDA scan? Endoscopy? Colonoscopy?

And make sure you research your surgeon, if possible ask around and speak to people who have used him/her. Good Luck.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
(female)

primalseams HB User

How is your reflux now since it has been two weeks since surgery? Were you ever told the if was the gallbladder instead of heartburn? Did you ever think she should not have had surgery cause no stones? That's one of my concerns....

Old 03-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
(female)

Finest1104 HB User

It all depends on the HIDA scan results (I guess). If GB is not functioning properly it can cause other problems in the long run. I asked Dr if it was better to wait and see if mine would get better and he laughed. If function is low, stones or slush present like mine, I guess best thing is to have it removed. Even after removal other issues not related will need further treatment, like my other issues I'm still dealing with.

In regards to Reflux, still on and off depending on foods.

Last edited by Finest1104; 03-07-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Closed Thread