It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
(female)

KJones80 HB User
Exclamation Burning like pain in left side....

For about 2 months I had experienced what I thought was stomach bugs, no vomiting or diahherea just sever nausea that would last 3 or 4 days then go away but would come back within about 5-7 days. About a week ago after one of these so called bugs went away I started experiencing a buring like pain in my chest under my left breast that comes and goes.
I went to the ER and they did an EKG, blood work, and a chest x-ray and determined that it has to be acid reflux or possible gall stones. These burning like attacks seem to come more with stress and after eating but still scares me because I still always think its my heart. Like I said its either mid center left or midcenter but the pain comes and goes in virtually seconds and does this off and on sometimes for hours.
My question is Has anyone ever experienced this? Every woman in my family has had their gall bladder removed but I have no health ins. so im not sure what to do???? Like I said its pain but like a burning really bad pain that usually lasts 5-10 sec and comes back off and on for hours I usually feel better after I sleep...It seems to bother me more in the afternoon. I am so confused and scared...HELP!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
Re: Burning like pain in left side....

I had my gall bladder removed and had most of the typical symptoms. A couple of days before the surgery, I started to get pain on the Left side. I went in to the doctor and he said the pain should be on the right and that I was just probably nervous about my surgery. (I was!!)

Try to relax, stick to a low fat diet, and eat slowly. You should call up the ER and ask for a referral for a gastro-ask if there is state assistance to help you pay for it.

After the doctor determines that it is gall stones; the wait time to operate is usually 2 weeks!! So, don't put off looking for help.

Good Luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Last year my boss and I both experienced pain in our left sides, just behind the rib cage, that was severe. I was sure I had a gall stone because I could actually feel something sort of rolling around in there. At least, that's what it felt like. My doctor said that it was actually a part of my small intestine, the first part goes out of the stomach and then loops back up and down again.

In any case, I have since become convinced it was viral because my boss got it a couple weeks before I did, and both of us saw relief of symptoms in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, it was quite painful.

I don't know if that's what you have, but I do wish you luck and hope it improves for you.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

Mid center or the burning feeling to the left can also involve the pancreas. It could be GERD or any number of gastro ailments. I do not have insurance either, but that did not prevent me from becoming acutely ill with acute pancreatitis , caused by a gall stone lodged in the pancreatic bile duct - and the gall bladder being removed (1/7) 11 days after the acute pancreatitis episode began. Many of my early symptoms mirror what you have described. I knew something was wrong , as my upper abdomen began to swell - still no significant pain, until I threw up one Sunday morning - after feeling like I had the flu for over two weeks, with no flu like symtoms. My stomach ached like it does after a really awful bought with the stomach/intestional flu. I too thought the magnitude of stress in my personal life was the culprit - I don't think the stress caused the nausea and awful feeling that something was very wrong - I also don't think the stress helped either.
I don't know what you feel like now, but consider changing your diet - I mean really changing it - no caffeine, little to no dairy, low fats (20 g per day) , consider staying away from wheat and try to eliminate sugar - also trans fats - very bad for you. No artificial sweeteners, try to avoid processed foods as well. Lightly steamed veggies as opposed to those in the raw state at this time. You may or may not be able to avoid the gall bladder surgery - only time and your physiology will tell. Keep a food diary of things that exaggerate your symptoms and for now alcohol should be limited if not eliminated altogether. This is not a comprehensive list of things or suggestions - but it could not hurt at this point to consider a dietary change - and a way if possible for you to meditate on good things as a way to relieve the stresses of life.
I have often read on these threads of people, who have had repeated visits to the ER with what they thought was surely the gall bladder acting up, to be told - no it isn't, and then finally - a surgery to remove the gall bladder. I don't know why it isn't simple to diagnose physical ailments. I know many doctors who feel the same way - but the body is a complicated, marvelous machine. No two of us are precisely alike, and yet we are the same too. A puzzlement for sure.
Hope you find something said on this thread to be helpful - if not - keep asking.
Let us know how you progress
Rose

Old 03-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
(female)

KJones80 HB User

Did you ever feel like chest pains like me i swear i feel like its my heart but they did blood work and an ekg and said thet didnt think so but i also know those tests dont show everything heart related..????? I think that what scares me the most.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

KJones80 - chest pains? - yes indeed. They were awful. I had/have a back injury from an auto accident about 2 1/2 yrs ago. For a long while, the back spasms and the wrap around pain were layered. It was difficult to tell them apart. But - when the flexeril stopped working on the back pain (spasms) - I later learned this new symptom was gall bladder and in my case - pancreas related. The pancreas pain, is a awful burning, like something is on fire in you upper abs - under the rib cage. I was told that the gall stone lodged in the pancreatic bile duct - had caused the enzymes the pancreas secretes to aid in digestion - to not able to be excreted into the duodenum. Since the enzymes had no where to go - they began to digest the pancreas itself. Thus the severe burning pain. The docs told me that it was like the pancreas had a severe burn - it was swollen and infected - EW! I was on an amazing assortment of antibiotics for the first 10 days - fighting off the infections - It can be a very dangerous predicament if not handled properly and with wonderful insightful care by the medical folks.
Anyway back to your question - I did suffer those chest pains along with the back pain and let me tell you - it was like childbirth in some says. The pain would go on for hours. Being a mom - I am just used to biting the bullet and dealing with it.
In this case - I was no longer able to bite the bullet - but had to deal with it. A trip to the ER and prompt admittance to the hospital - finally leaving the hosp. 15 days later - less a gall bladder and whole new understanding, that some things us moms just need to have checked out.
I am not trying to scare you - in hindsight, I wish I had been more proactive about myself. There are ways to handle medical bills and medical emergencies - that I had no idea were available to me. Being without medical insurance is a new thing and a bit unsettling - but in the broad scheme of life - it is not the worst thing that can happen.
Keep asking and keep us posted
Rose

Old 07-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
(female)

KJones80 HB User

Well the pain is still in my left side under my rib cage but now only seems to hurt as I take a deep breathe Im not as sick to my stomach now but who knows. I had a chest x ray done and they said my left lung was clear it may be due to constipation. I just wish I knew because Im so scared of lung cancer???? Im so lost and scared...

Old 07-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJones80 View Post
Well the pain is still in my left side under my rib cage but now only seems to hurt as I take a deep breathe Im not as sick to my stomach now but who knows. I had a chest x ray done and they said my left lung was clear it may be due to constipation. I just wish I knew because Im so scared of lung cancer???? Im so lost and scared...
I was the first to respond -I had chest pains on the left and the doctor dismiss it because he said I was just nervous.

Now, I realized that the left chest pain/pressure, that felt like I was going to have a have a heart attack, and the burning feeling, plus I always felt full = gastritis.

The good news for you is that your lung is clear. Look online for GERD or gastritis information. (Although, it could be IBS. ) I second the suggestion to look at your diet, you could follow the gastritis diet: no spices, nothing fried, no carbonated beverages, no coffee, no acidic foods, heavy sauces, onions, and no stress during/after meal time until you get a diagnosis.

Does your stomach make loud grumbling noises or do you feel full all the time?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
(female)

stephsies HB User

I had some similar symptoms with the burning pain, and it turned out I had to get my Appendix removed! Took them 8 months to find it until they realized it wasn't an ulcer or my gallbladder or heart --- Good luck and take care! Hope it's not your appendix or gallbladder because not removing those when needed can be fatal.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #10
(female)

wanja89 HB User

i get the exact same pain as you described... roughly 5 seconds of aching pain under my left breast, comes and goes, get it every so often. used to think it was my heart also because of the piercing feeling of the pain but it's not the right area for heart pains or gallbladder pains either. used to think it was from some recreational drugs or just simply my digestion.
best advice is to go to another doctor for a second opinion, and so will i. when i found out i'll let you know

Closed Thread