It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

meice40 HB User
atypical gallbladde symptoms

Hi, I am a 40 yr old mother of four an a full time RN. I have suffered from generalized stomach upset for years now. But approx. a year ago, I started having left sided chest pain , pressure, SOB. and alot of belching. I refused an EGD at that time. In the last month the symptoms have become more intense and more frequent, resulting in alot of anxiety. I gave in and had the EGD, which was completely normal. I had a HIDA scan which showed an ejection fraction of 17%. My doctor thinks the symptoms are probably my gallbladder, but from everything I've read and the patients I've cared for, I've never heard of anybody experiencing gallbladder symptoms mainly on the left side of their chest. I also feel it all the way up the middle of my chest, up my neck at times, also in my left shoulder and through to my back sometimes. I often feel a lump feeling in my throat, but have been cleared of having GERD. I don't have nausea or any pain over the gallbladder area, just frequent/occasional generalized stomach upset and difficulty having a good bowel movement and a ton of belching. nexium, prilosec and any other antacids don't help and symptoms have been occuring whether I eat or not, though it does tend to be worse sometimes after eating.

Has anybody else experienced atypical symptoms like this?

Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: atypical gallbladde symptoms

I experienced those same symptoms before they removed my gallbladder - I had stones though. When they removed it I still had the symptoms but it got worse. It does give you alot of anxiety because you just don't know what to expect day to day. I do have a fatty liver which I am trying to find out if that gives you the same symptoms but everyone has told me Sphinctor of the oddi dysfunction. I have been to every doctor and had every test and they can't come up with anything. I have tried every medicine on the market and nothing works for the gas. It goes up into my throat and scares me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

I concur, spincthor of odi dysfunction is a possibility (there are more possiblities too) - left side - related to your pancreas. Very uncomfortable - have you had an ERCP? Has it been suggested?
Rose

Old 03-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
(female)

Sunshine6115 HB User

I had my gallbladder removed over a year ago. Had emergency surgery, ended up staying in the hospital for four days.

My symptoms were: pain in the upper abdomen, pressure all the way to my back & between my shoulder blades, nausea.

I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Old 03-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
(female)

Doll Baby HB User

Yes I have all the symptoms you described I thought it was my heart I had all kinds of heart test treadmill test the only thing left is a catherazation and the heart dr says it is not my heart I get such pressure on left side of chest with pain in middle of chest and severe back pain I had every test possible had an ultrasound of gallbladder have stones I am nauseated all the time have shoulder pain also its my gallbladder getting it out in a week the symptoms of gallbladder minic other things because the pain is in different areas the heart dr said to get it out people dont realize how sick they are because they feel bad all the time I have become very anxious and I think its from the pain and just not feeling good.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
(female)

cadiekd HB User

I feel your pain...I have all of the same atypical symptoms. All of my pains are mainly on the left side under the rib cage radiating to the middle of my chest often going up my left arm. I seriously thought I was having a heart attack. BUT, I've had the sonogram, x-ray, ct scan that were all normal. I'm have a HIDA scan in a couple of days to see if they can find anything.

I feel so ridiculously helpless. My thoughts are with you!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

Left sided pain can/could be pancreas (pancreatitis). Your pancreas sits under your stomach and pressure from eating will fill the stomach and press down on the prancreas - a possibility I'd say at least worth mentioning to the doc. I had severe acute panceatitis caused by a gall stone lodged in the bile duct - pancreatic bile duct or sphincter of odi.
I agree with Doll Baby - I didn't realize how bad I felt until it was over. I had been feeling horrible with all those symptoms for over a year. You want to avoid pancreatitis if at all possible - It hurts way worse than an all out gall bladder attack.
Rose

Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
(female)

juiceplus HB User

I have been through the same thing, and after a consultation with UCLA doctors I was diagnosed with Functional Dyspepsia, check it out and ask your doctor if it could be related...Also ask for a Gastric Emptying Study

Closed Thread