It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

Kat67 HB User
Nausea and abdominal swelling?

I am new to this forum and wonder if any of you experience this. I am sure it is common, but for about 3 months now I have noticed swelling in my abdomen. I look to be about 5 months pregnant. It gets worse after eating, even small meals. Recently, I have also felt nauseated after eating. I really dont each much solid foods anymore, as chewing seems to fatigue my jaw pretty quickly. My diet consists of mostly protein shakes, salads, and snack like hummus with flat bread. I have gained weight, but never carried weight up so high. I cannot stand to where a bra most of the time. Forget about it right after eating.

I recently saw an ob/gyn doc due to irregular periods, I did mention the swelling but he is focusing further down.
I have also had an increase in heartburn, despite changing foods that set it off.
I read some posts here pointing to pancreas, spleen all the way to ovarian cancer.
Anybody have a better clue for me. I seem to be all over the scale and I am not sure which symptoms to tell my doc about.
Thanks so much,
Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User
Re: Nausea and abdominal swelling?

Kat67, I don't have a clue, but when you find out will you let me know? I thought mine was from surgery. Went to a gastro guy today that must have gotten honors in the diety complex. Five minutes flat for a problem that has been killing me for 12 weeks straight. He's doing a scope next week, took blood, dictated into his handheld device all the evidence that he has no listening skills. I can't find any symptoms like our's on mayo or ***** for reflux and he sent me home with really strong, just FDA approved medicine for reflux. Last time I played guinea pig for a new med it ended up hardening my gall bladder and causing tons of stones. I swear I hate being vulnerable to doctors.

Anyone else have the symptoms kat67 described? Anyone know what is? Chances are someone here will listen better than any blasted doctor! Kat67, I did use capasain all over that region--I've been diagnosed with intercostal neuralgia (a cousin of chostochondritis) and couldn't wear a bra back when it was in full flare and prescription strength capasain helped then. A couple of days after using it I wasn't as desperate--don't know if it was the capasain or just keeping away from the bra and laying down for a day. Acute pancreatitis can cause those symptoms as well.

Last edited by baserockermom; 03-25-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

You know I hated wearing a bra for years and eventually landed in the ER/hospital with acute pancreatitis and a gall bladder surgery. Now, 2 1/2 months after the GB surgery, I no longer have such a tender/irritated area under the bra line. I noticed a week or so, before the acute pancreatitis episode, that my upper abdomen was really swollen - it felt weird ? and I thought to myself, you know something is 'off' with my abdomen, but had no clue as to the cause. I did have the wrap around upper R and upper L quadrant pain - felt like a heart attack. Lots of GERD too ... ick. My spouse and I are unemployed, so going to the doctor, for a silly complaint of unknown origins (to me) was out of the question. Until I became acutely ill. Hindsight is really helpful - to other people. If you are able - go to the doctor. Keep asking questions until you get a satisfactory answer.
I spent 5 days in PCU, then was transferred to the presurgery floor for the remaining 10 days of my stay with severe acute pancreatitis. GB surgery on the 11 day and day 12 was an ERCP proceedure. Glad that is behind me - no pain like acute pancreatitis - It was awful.
More clues to think about Kat67 & baserockermom
Rose

Old 03-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose4me View Post
You know I hated wearing a bra for years and eventually landed in the ER/hospital with acute pancreatitis and a gall bladder surgery. Now, 2 1/2 months after the GB surgery, I no longer have such a tender/irritated area under the bra line. I noticed a week or so, before the acute pancreatitis episode, that my upper abdomen was really swollen - it felt weird ? and I thought to myself, you know something is 'off' with my abdomen, but had no clue as to the cause. I did have the wrap around upper R and upper L quadrant pain - felt like a heart attack. Lots of GERD too ... ick. My spouse and I are unemployed, so going to the doctor, for a silly complaint of unknown origins (to me) was out of the question. Until I became acutely ill. Hindsight is really helpful - to other people. If you are able - go to the doctor. Keep asking questions until you get a satisfactory answer.
I spent 5 days in PCU, then was transferred to the presurgery floor for the remaining 10 days of my stay with severe acute pancreatitis. GB surgery on the 11 day and day 12 was an ERCP proceedure. Glad that is behind me - no pain like acute pancreatitis - It was awful.
More clues to think about Kat67 & baserockermom
Rose
Did you have Sphinctor of the Oddi Dysfunction?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

I have not been diagnosed with that. I cannot rule it out. The ERCP was performed to extract a remaining gall stone spotted by the surgeon for the GB and some remaining gall stone sludge. There are numerous other 'tests' needed - according to the gastro doc. Yet - without, insurance the cost is prohibitive. So we try to manage the symptoms until there is something urgent or I am insured once again.
Rose

Closed Thread