It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

JJ 09 HB User
Gluten Intolerance

Hey Everyone, I'm a first time poster, glad to have found this site. I look forward to responding to many of your threads as well! In the meantime, I'd like to talk about what drew me here in the first place: Gluten Intolerance.

Is anyone else testing out their bodies for this? I hear 1 in 7 people these days suffer from some degree of gluten intolerance whether it be from wheat, rye, or barley.

If you are testing out your body, have you also noticed that sometimes you can eat whole wheat bread with no problems, and other times, you gotta pop 2 gasx just to stand up. I eat A LOT of all natural fat free plain yogurt, which is filled with probiotics, anyone familiar know if high doses of probiotics are enough to ease the symptoms?

I partly think it's psychological, partly think it has to do with the quality of the food today, and I partly think gluten intolerance is a fad. I went to the Natural Products Expo in Los Angeles 2 weeks ago and a large percentage of new products were boasting "Gluten Free", it wasn't that way last year, and there wasn't the need for it 20 years ago. Just an observation. Respond with any stories or comments you have about gluten intolerance, I'll be happy to read them. It's an interesting and relevant subject these days!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User
Re: Gluten Intolerance

Hi JJ. i'm a first time poster to this board. In January, to help control pain issues, I cut out wheat, refined sugar, chocolate and caffeine from my diet. The first few days were okay, just me being careful about what I ate. Before a week was over, realized that I had no cravings anymore-for anything. After another week or so I realized that I don't even get hungry anymore. My BMs now are clean-that's never been the case in my life. After about six weeks my energy level had tripled. Then one morning I was feeling very low for some reason and I bought an oatmeal raisin cookie on my way to work; although nauseous after I at it, I 'needed' another cookie, and i was sick for 4 days. I have found alternatives to wheat; the commercial gluten-free bread available is vile; I've resigned myself to never eating sandwiches again unless I can get another breadmaker. My supermarket carries spelt ginger snaps and lemon snaps - neither have sugar or wheat and they're delicious. I make a hot cereal out of gluten-free grains that I get from Bulk Barn and a health food store: Teff, Amaranth, Millet, Kamut, Spelt, cornmeal, quinoa, buckwheat and flax meal at the end to thicken it up. I tried ground brown rice but it leaves my stomach unsettled. I'll make this cereal once a month in a huge pot, and save it in one-cup plastic containers in my freezer. I nuke one every morning and add honey, fruit, milk, sometimes nuts and sunflower seeds.

I don't think this is a craze at all, I believe its true that 1 in 7, if not a higher number, is gluten intollerant, or even has celiac disease without knowing it. My reheumatologist has confirmed from my observations that I'm gluten intollerant, and have probably been for more than 40 years. I'm nearly 57.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-26-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
(female)

AndreaL HB User
Re: Gluten Intolerance

I am being tested for celiac disease after other investigations ruled out other possible causes of my illness. I have felt ill for 4 months now. I am pregnant and symptoms began at the same time as the typical pregnancy symptoms but my stomach problems are either related to celiac disease/some kind of food intolerance or basically a stomach dysmotility due to pregnancy hormones. I definitely don't believe it is psychological in my case or for anyone who does have a food allergy. The physical symptoms can't be denied and are very uncomfortable and can be painful too, not pleasant at all.

I have to wait a frustrating 2 weeks for my blood test results checking for celiac disease so in the mean time decided to try a gluten free diet anyway just to see if I feel any improvement, there had been some during a couple of days but with it being my b'day over the weekend I have indulged in b'day cake and other gluten filled foods so haven't been strict enough to know if there's been any real difference. Once the cake is gone lol then I'll be strict, I think even if I tested negative for CD but the gluten free diet made me feel better then I'll be happy to stik with the GF diet.

Closed Thread