It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

jayer HB User
11% hida scan but not typical symptoms

I had a hida scan for my gallbladder and it came back with 11% ejection fraction. I know that is low and typically the gallbladder comes out with that number.

But I don't have the typical symptoms. I do have minor dull pain in the appropriate area in front and back sometimes. I have no gallstones, no inflammation, no sludge.

I had a "typical" gallbladder type attack in December went to ER and they did every test EXCEPT the hida scan at that time. (The hida scan was done in March). They found nothing wrong with my gallbladder and said it wasn't that.

My main symptoms are nausea/vomiting, bloating, constipation, occasional severe gas cramps, headache, get very cold and weak, sometimes cold sweats or feverish (but never had a fever when I checked). I also get the exact same pain that you would get on the right side but on the left side of my stomach.

I have had these symptoms for many years and my primary knows about it and I am the one who asked for the HIDA scan and she agreed and says it should come out but may not help me.

I went to a surgeon and he was very negative, said it probably won't help my symptoms and even dismissed the 11% hida scan and said that can vary.

I am going for a second opinion.

Has anyone had similar symptoms and has had there gallbladder removed and did it help.

I am not sure what to do...the surgeon said he would do the surgery but was so negative I am not sure if I should do it, prior to the appt with him I was all set to have the surgery.

I forgot to add...I also have a hiatal hernia, gastritis and diverticulosis.

Last edited by jayer; 04-09-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
Re: 11% hida scan but not typical symptoms

The fact that they did not see sludge on an ultrasound, does not mean that you do not have sludge in your gallbladder. Ultrasounds frequently do not pick up sludge. That is why the HIDA scan is such a good test. There can be other reasons why the gallbladder is not squeezing as hard as it should.

The fact that the surgeon was negative, may indicate that he believes multiple things are happening and that the removal of the gallbladder would not address the other problems.

Getting a second opinion in these kind of situations is always wise. I have so far avoided the surgeon.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
(female)

IrishChica HB User

When I had my gallbladder out, my pain actually started on the left side. I believe it was going bad for years because I always had "stomach" issues, but one night it got out of control. I went to the E.R. where they gave me a G.I. cocktail and sent me home, telling me to follow up with my GP, and that I probably had an ulcer. I was back a few hours later when the cocktail wore off. This time I called my doctor first, he wanted me admitted. A couple of days later, I had had an ultrasound, scope, HIDA scan, etc. The scope and the ultrasound were normal, but the HIDA scan came back low, like yours, I think 13%, though. When I had it out, I felt much better. It's a longer recovery than they say, and you really have to watch what you eat until your body adjusts, but, for me, at least, it had to be done. I definitely think you should get that second opinion if you're having concerns. A second opinion never hurts.

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
(female)

Finest1104 HB User

Okay, You are the first person to describe my similar symptoms. I also had the test performed (12%)...yes it should come out. My symptoms were never on right side but in center and it radiated to the back..it especially felt like someone was stabbing me on the left side. Nausea..unable to digest certain foods. Pain would come and get stronger, stronger, stronger and last a good 8 hours. I still have gastric problems even though the gallbladder was removed in February....but haven't gotten 'the pain' since GB removal. Good Luck

Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
(female)

jamie5750 HB User

I was in your situation last year (low ejection fraction, no stones). I went back and forth on whether or not to have surgery and finally after 3 doctors told me to just get it done - that I would feel a lot better - I had the surgery. Everything was good for the first month, then the "gallbladder" attacks came back with a vengeance. I have been told that I probably have sphincter of oddi dysfunction but that I only have a 30%-40% chance that an ERCP would help. Decided not to go down that road. I have found that if I avoid certain foods that I will not have attacks. I can no longer eat out without a guaranteed attack at about 3 am. I really wish that I had kept my gallbladder (hind sight 20/20). Surgery recovery is not fun. I have had several people tell me that they still have pain after surgery if they eat the wrong foods. Food allergies and intolerances can cause that pain - there was a study done on patients that had low ejection and no stones. Almost all had the pain go away (surgery group and non surgery group) once the food allergies and intolerances were discovered. You might want to keep a food journal and see if something triggers your attacks.

Closed Thread