It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
(male)

McPhee HB User
Two questions for those with gastritis or burning stomach symptoms

I'm one of the millions of people out there who have dyspepsia where the GI has run tests and can't figure out what it is. He advised just listening to my body to learn how to live with it and manage it. I've kept food journals for weeks at a time, but they aren't too useful because things bother me some days and not others. It's hard to know what is causing the problems, although there may be a link with stuff like pizza, spaghetti, certain processed foods, ketchup, pepper, spicy stuff, and perhaps milk. I try to eat a mostly whole foods diet, but that said, it's hard to live one's life on an entirely "bland" diet.

That brings me here to get your experiences and see if I can learn from them. Two questions for those of you who deal with "burning" stomach symptoms:

1. If the burning comes on an two hours after a meal, is it related to the meal you just ate, or is it something that is perhaps related to previous meals? Let me provide an example. One recent week, I had pizza 2 days in a row and I ate a few doughnuts those days. Other than a bit of bloating which I killed with some Acid Ease (plant enzymes), there were no problems from these things. On those days, I also had a bowl of cereal w/milk each day after my regular workout. No problems stemmed from this either. The next evening I had a burger with ketchup and 2 frosted sugar cookies. Two hours after THAT meal, I had the burning feeling start and it continued after each meal I ate for a day or so, so I started on a course of prilosec which then knocked out the pain. (All of this sounds worse than it really was, because I ate healthy every other meal, but it wasn't one of my better eating periods).

2. When you get the "burning" stomach, have you found something over-the-counter that kills the pain? Prilosec works great to ensure that pain doesn't continue in chronic fashion, but it doesn't help if I eat something in the short term that disagrees with me. For example, if I'm on prilosec and I eat salsa, I may get burning pain that will last all day. Once I've made the mistake, I'd like to find something that can drive off the pain... I've found that Tums/Rolaids, Pepcid, Pepto, Nauzene, and gasx don't really work on this "burning" feeling. DGL actually does work somewhat, but it causes me other side effects so I prefer to avoid it.

Last edited by McPhee; 04-12-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
(female)

SAHMof2 HB User
Re: Two questions for those with gastritis or burning stomach symptoms

I just found out I have Gastritis friday. I had an Endoscopy since i've had GERD for about 11 yrs off and on. For me my stomach burns too. The only thing that helps is either a few Tums or a swig of mallox. I'm on nexium too. I'm just now trying to learn What I can Eat and Not eat that will irritate my stomach. I'm Trying to eat more Bland things as to maybe give my stomach a chance to heal. But bland is so.. boring lol. HOpe you can find some relief soon
Mom to an Angel in heaven

Fibromylgia, Costo-Chrondritis, IBS, Hypothyroid,
G.E.R.D, Contact Dermatitis,

Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
(female)

CarolinaGirl999 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMof2 View Post
I just found out I have Gastritis friday. I had an Endoscopy since i've had GERD for about 11 yrs off and on. For me my stomach burns too. The only thing that helps is either a few Tums or a swig of mallox. I'm on nexium too. I'm just now trying to learn What I can Eat and Not eat that will irritate my stomach. I'm Trying to eat more Bland things as to maybe give my stomach a chance to heal. But bland is so.. boring lol. HOpe you can find some relief soon
Hi, SAHMof2. I had reflux for a long time. I learned that sugar, i.e. eating desserts or candy, relaxes the sphincter at the top of my stomach. 'Stomach squeezes in digestion, and ... PAIN! I eliminated sugar and I eliminated ALL GERD. I can now cheat and have cake & ice cream at a party, for example, with no ill effects (other than its affecting my "fattitude" (credit Robin Williams!) If I try it the next day, the GERD returns. If I eliminate all sweets for six months, I can eat ANYTHING! ( Well, I do need to take Beano with ice cream or other item sweetened with the sugar alcohols, or I develop really painful flatulence. Try eliminating all traditional sweets and see how you do.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
(male)

McPhee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl999 View Post
Hi, SAHMof2. I had reflux for a long time. I learned that sugar, i.e. eating desserts or candy, relaxes the sphincter at the top of my stomach. 'Stomach squeezes in digestion, and ... PAIN! I eliminated sugar and I eliminated ALL GERD. I can now cheat and have cake & ice cream at a party, for example, with no ill effects (other than its affecting my "fattitude" (credit Robin Williams!) If I try it the next day, the GERD returns. If I eliminate all sweets for six months, I can eat ANYTHING! ( Well, I do need to take Beano with ice cream or other item sweetened with the sugar alcohols, or I develop really painful flatulence. Try eliminating all traditional sweets and see how you do.
This is interesting. Does the pain you refer to occur in your chest (heartburn) or in your stomach? Did the amount of fat in the dessert or candy make any difference?

I do not get heartburn; my pain is all in the stomach. One culprit, which causes more of a burning feeling, seems to be stuff containing tomatoes and peppers (these causes problems for many people). A second culprit, which causes bloating/belching but not burning, is certain "fibrous" carbs like whole wheat, brown rice, and beans (for me, oatmeal, white bread, and sweet/white potatotes are all ok, though). The last culprit gives me a mix of heaviness and gas-like pain, and that seems to be "fatty" baked goods and stuff like non-fat-free salad dressings, etc. "Fattier" whole foods like steak, ham, butter, and natural peanut don't bother me, nor does low/no-fat processed food. So, graham crackers don't bother me, but cakes and cookies do. (Not that I eat high-fat processed food very much anyway, or processed food in general, but it is really annoying to not be able to eat these things at all w/out paying for it with an entire day of dull pain. It makes it hard to ever eat out, too.)

I have found that about the only thing that helps (at least sometimes) with the fibrous carbs and high-fat stuff is to take a digestive enzyme once I feel the pain (an hour or two after eating). These enzymes don't help when I have the burning pain from eating stuff like tomato sauce (nothing helps w/that). While it seems logical that there is a link between the gastritis (or whatever it is, the doctors don't know for sure) and the burning pain from acidic stuff like tomato paste, I'm less clear if there's a link between the gastritis and the digestion issues/related pains from eating "fatty" foods and fibrous carbs. It's almost like my body has forgotten how to digest certain foods or something...

In other words, I'm not sure if all these things are related, although they did all start happening around the same time after I made it into my 40s with none of these issues. I've had all kinds of tests done by the GI, and everything comes back normal...

Last edited by McPhee; 04-18-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Closed Thread