It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
(male)

dcguy HB Userdcguy HB Userdcguy HB User
Dr. thinks I might have nutcracker syndrome but I don't have trouble swallowing

First post here. I have been trying to trouble shoot some heartburn type symptoms for over a month now. I am 36, pretty sedentary and about 30lbs overweight, but otherwise very health, never taken a pill for anything. Never had heartburn in my life and I like to eat and drink pretty much anything. I've had a chest xray, full blood test, cardio workup, everything came back clean. Now my doctor wants me to get an upper GI test to see if I have nutcracker syndome. He put me on Prilosec OTC.

After reading some posts on this board, though, I really wonder what it could be. I do not have ANY problems or pain swallowing. Sometimes it feels like heartburn but the weird thing is that when it flares up I cannot connect it to any particular food or drink, and sometimes when it's bad I become a little short of breath and it is very uncomfortable to be driving or walking. I feel much better after laying down flat and not moving, which is sort of the opposite of what I've heard you're supposed to do if you have heartburn.

The Prilosec, combined with Pepto Bismol MAX whenever I feel it coming on, has worked okay, but I don't want to be dependent on this stuff forever. I feel like I need to take a bottle of Pepto with me everywhere just in case. And I really don't know what I should change about the food or drink I intake since I can't pintpoint anything. How would I know if it's something more serious if the upper GI tests comes back negative?

What else could it be if I have no trouble swallowing and no pain, and lying down helps (along with Pepto)? The Prilosec by itself does not seem to be enough for those in between times of the day I feel something.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread