It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Severe bloating and xanax...

I have been taking xanax for sleep for a few years. I have also been having really bad bloating, making me short of breath and feeling pressure from it up through my neck and face. Does anyone know if xanax could be causing the bloating, by say, relaxing the gi system and not pushing air/gas through to the "end"?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
(male)

unreal HB Userunreal HB User
Re: Severe bloating and xanax...

it's called "benzo belly" and obviously is very common (as it has it's own name)

if you are getting this your are probably getting many others tolerance effects from the Xanax but have not realized that xanax is the cause

Last edited by unreal; 04-27-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Wow, I have never heard of that! That is interesting! It is nice to know that this bloating can go away with quitting xanax. I switched to a sleeping pill last night, and hoping the bloating goes away over the next few days. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
(male)

unreal HB Userunreal HB User

does you doctor know you stopped the xanax?

Xanax needs to be tapered so be sure you have a doctor in the loop. (hopefully he knows)

It is a very powerful and addictive drug with a prolonged post acute withdrawal syndrome associated with it.

Also it could take several months for the bloating to clear up and it may get worse for the first few weeks after discontinuation.

good luck and if you run into any problems discontinuing the Xanax send me a pm or post back here

Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
(female)

rose620 HB User

You cannot stop cold turkey taking xanax or any benzo.
I'm living proof of that.

You need to research the topic and you will discover why. I dont think I am allowed to post the site so google benzo withdrawal and see how you can help yourself. There are many boards that offer help and suggestions.

I had benzo belly and a whole lot more so be wise. Search it. You'll be glad you did.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
(female)

marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User

I am suffering in GI hell b/c of xanax and klonopin that i weaned off of 2 months ago.....been a year of GI issues though, dr kept saying couln't be so, but my body is proof. Google benzodiazepines and GI problems, why aren't drs supposed to tll us this stuff?

Closed Thread