It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
(male)

jamman3 HB User
How long does it take !! to heal?

its been two months and a week since my G.B. was removed and it still feel likes I cant exert my self like reach around for things ,or twist my upper body very much cause ill get pain inside .I still get bloating often also I am on omeprazole 20 mg 2x daily, cholestramine for diahreea,I take tylenol for pain, they asked if I wanted vicodin but i said it does feel that bad. because im not really in that much pain because im conserving my activities, level kinda fearfull at this point. My nurse told me if I dont feel better in two more weeks they wanted to do some bloodwork for what i dont know. any Ideas ??

Old 05-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User
Re: How long does it take !! to heal?

jamman 3, I will be 4 months post op of GB surgery in a couple of days. For me, a more normal sense of well being began about 2 weeks ago - 3.5 months after surgery. I had begun to think I may always feel sickly or weak. Everyone is different. I still get amazing sneak attack 'phantom pains', that are intense. But they subside. From what my gastro doc has insinuated to me, they only really become concerned if the pain is acute and prolonged. Or if you get a fever and the temp spikes - whatever that means. For me a fever is a big deal - if I ever get one. I suppose they see so many people that they look more for a common denominator of symptoms rather then identifying non-typical symptoms for any of their patients.
I can go a couple of weeks, where I feel pretty good, then lately, my incision sites have been very tender - even burning at the belly button, where the gall bladder was removed. Since I've had other surgeries - this healing process seems to fall in line with those. The scars cover more than the top layer of skin - You had major surgery - and the incisions were very deep into your abs.
Sounds like you have a proactive doctor - who is doing a bit more than the wait and see - By all means don't ignore symptoms - that has never done anyone any good.
Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I am 2 years and still get phantom pain. I notice I can't work all day like I used to. Like I could clean my whole house but now I can clean only half of it at a time because I get exhausted and I feel like someone is tearing my stomach in half. I can't stretch when I do yoga because it hurts in the liver area. I feel like a war is going on in my stomach every time I eat.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
(female)

Janaly HB User

Hello, I had my Gallbladder taken out in 1997. I attempted to return to work which
required light labor after two weeks. (Not such a bright idea) For me it simply was
too soon. So I had to take some further time off and really not stress the area.
I slept in a recliner for about a month because sleeping in bed was really just too
uncomfortable. I chose to use pain meds for one month. It did help but I hated the
stuff.

These years later, I get some phantom pains. ALSO since my Gallbladder was taken
out, I have had more increased loose bowel issues for years now. I work with it and
around it. Almost like mild IBS but I parallel it to the Gallbladder removal because it
began so shortly afterwards is why.

It seems each person had different post op experiences and symptoms and then
again some similar ones too.

(imo) I think it's wise that you are conserving your activities etc. Have you found
that spicy foods or raw foods are less tolerable since you had your Gallbladder out?

Jamman I hope you feel a bit better sometime soon but don't rush it. Don't over
strain or stress the gallbladder area. My personal thoughts. Take it easy and
keep us posted ok. Remember you had a major surgery done....Laparascopic
I assume? Internally you are unique and your digestive system needs extra time
to resituate itself. (imo)

Stay proactive with your healing and stay hopeful (imo) and keep in touch with
your doctor/nurse.

The best to you,

Janaly
Allergic to Shellfish
*all are being treated*
but not with perfect success.

Last edited by Janaly; 05-07-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo

Old 05-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
(female)

primalseams HB User

What a relief to find this thread! I have been so worried. I am 8.5 weeks post op. I have been eating fairly regularly, but not trying things like red meat, straight milk etc. My digestive system is a little erratic, but not too worrisome, based upon my understanding of what to expect. Certain foods do seem to cause pain.My chief concern is pain in my side and tenderness around incisions/ whole surgical area. I pretty much believe/hope that it must be muscle soreness. I have been gardening, moving my son home from college, lifting things that aren't super heavy. My surgeon gave me zero instructions other than to go live my life. No restrictions. When I went in at 3 weeks w/some questions he wanted to know why I was there and said most patients would be fine by then. So I am afraid to see him as I feel like a failure, and doubt he will have anything helpful to say. My gastro would prob suggest I pursue a ERCP, but that sounds extreme.
Everything I read seems like folks either bounce back or have super serious problems. Is there just a normal recovery period where things hurt at this later time in the recovery?
Thanks for all responses. You all seem to be going thru something similar?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalseams View Post
What a relief to find this thread! I have been so worried. I am 8.5 weeks post op. I have been eating fairly regularly, but not trying things like red meat, straight milk etc. My digestive system is a little erratic, but not too worrisome, based upon my understanding of what to expect. Certain foods do seem to cause pain.My chief concern is pain in my side and tenderness around incisions/ whole surgical area. I pretty much believe/hope that it must be muscle soreness. I have been gardening, moving my son home from college, lifting things that aren't super heavy. My surgeon gave me zero instructions other than to go live my life. No restrictions. When I went in at 3 weeks w/some questions he wanted to know why I was there and said most patients would be fine by then. So I am afraid to see him as I feel like a failure, and doubt he will have anything helpful to say. My gastro would prob suggest I pursue a ERCP, but that sounds extreme.
Everything I read seems like folks either bounce back or have super serious problems. Is there just a normal recovery period where things hurt at this later time in the recovery?
primalseams - I think recovery is just that - it takes a while to recover. You mentioned you have offspring at college. Which means that you are not a youngster and most likely will take a while for the insides to heal and get over the insult that surgery does to a body. I am 4.5 months now - post op and the past few days, the belly button incision site has been very tender. I wonder what I did to cause that? But - I am packing up a house - and it takes me while to do it even now. I seem to still be moving at a glacial pace - even though I am so much better than right after surgery. I have heard horror stories about ERCP's on this board - but I had one and other than waking up during the procedure, it wasn't such a big deal. I was on some pretty heavy pain meds at the time, which I imagine messed up their perfect formula for getting a patient 'down' for the procedure. If you have issues - go see the gastro doc - I'd say - I think surgeons are detached as a way to do their jobs, and be able to sleep at night.
Rose

Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalseams View Post

I am having a HIDA scan of the bile ducts because I don't want a ERCP to find out if I have Sphinctor of the Oddi.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose4me View Post
primalseams - I think recovery is just that - it takes a while to recover. You mentioned you have offspring at college. Which means that you are not a youngster and most likely will take a while for the insides to heal and get over the insult that surgery does to a body. I am 4.5 months now - post op and the past few days, the belly button incision site has been very tender. I wonder what I did to cause that? But - I am packing up a house - and it takes me while to do it even now. I seem to still be moving at a glacial pace - even though I am so much better than right after surgery. I have heard horror stories about ERCP's on this board - but I had one and other than waking up during the procedure, it wasn't such a big deal. I was on some pretty heavy pain meds at the time, which I imagine messed up their perfect formula for getting a patient 'down' for the procedure. If you have issues - go see the gastro doc - I'd say - I think surgeons are detached as a way to do their jobs, and be able to sleep at night.
Rose
I notice even after two years I get very tired when I start doing work around the house - like i got very sick after I cleaned the garage. I am very sensitive to hot weather too. My stomach just rules my life. I guess the liver is doing the job of two organs and it makes you tired.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
(female)

primalseams HB User

Rose- thank-you for that reassuring response. I needed a reality check- no docs are giving one! May I ask why you had an ercp? I did not have stones, just a low functioning GB. They were unable to do the xray (cholangiogram?) during surgery as my cystic duct was too small to be cannulated, but they said there was no inflammation and my liver enzymes were normal so they didn't pursue it. I don't know if that is good news or bad news! Anyway, now I don't know if I have just overdone it or something is more serious. (My first gastro said it is a one day recovery......)

Old 05-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
(female)

Primalseams - I just want to go slap any doc, who says recovery from major surgery - even when it is outpatient surgery is a one day deal - Really? When have they had their gallbladders out? How did they feel? Sorry, but you hit a nerve with that remark - I heard it too from the docs - but not my surgeon - thank God - he seemed to have some people skills- for which I am grateful.
I was pretty ill before the gall bladder surgery and had the ERCP the day following surgery to rule out or clean up any remaining gall stones and gall stone sludge. Which was found. I had severe acute pancreatitis - the culprit for that was a gall stone lodged in the sphincter of odi (gall bladder duct).
Many of our stories have similar themes running through them, with just enough variation to make reading about them interesting.
Rose

Closed Thread