It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

hazel f HB User
Question Helicobacter pylori and persistent stomach pain

In tracking down the source of my severe anemia, it was discovered that I was infected with helicobacter pylori. I went through three rounds of high-octane antibiotic regimes before I finally got rid of it (I can't take penicillin, so my options were limited). Even so, I continued to have indigestion and weight loss. A gastroscopy found no HP but gastritis. That was 18 months ago. Now I am once again dragging and I have a persistent dull ache that sometimes burns if I haven't eaten. It is below my rib cage slightly to the right (I have no gallbladder problems). I take omeprazole once a day. Anyone have a similar experience and what, if anything, did you do about it? I can't possible be anemic again, have another ulcer, or be HP infected despite no evidence of it in the biopsies can I? My gastro guy says that even if I still have HP, they would merely manage my symptoms because the only remaining treatment has to be imported from Germany and is nasty (toxic, was his word). Any thoughts?

Old 05-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
Re: Helicobacter pylori and persistent stomach pain

Hi,
I had to schedule an emergency appt. with my gastro on wed because I was/am having pain under the center of my rib cage, felt very full, no apetite, and my stomach burned. I thought it was gallbladder related but I was diagnosed with gastritis too.

I have an eating disorder and have had my gallbladder removed because of it. My gastro didn't do any tests (because I have no insurance and the visit was $120) so he gave me samples of Protonix 40mg that I am suppose to take for the next 20 days. I have a follow up in June to see if my symptoms improve or if I will need further testing so I can't be much help till then.

For me, the gastritis was caused because of the stress of recovery because I don't drink or am anemic. I also started eating foods with acid like: ketchup, salsa, spices, pineapple etc.. I haven't eaten these types of foods in a long time so I guess that's why my stomach got irrated.

My gastro said to stick to a low fat diet, eat smaller meals and no stress. During Thursday and Friday, I had no appetite and was in pain so I just ate soup and toast. Today, I did much better and was able to eat soup for breakfast, tuna with cottage cheese for lunch and for dinner I had chicken breast with toast.

The pain is not keeping me up at night but I do feel pain as soon as I start eating. If you have any info on what to eat, then please share?? I tried searching online and some sites say not to eat foods with fiber because they stay in the stomach longer. Other sites say to eat plenty of cottage cheese and yogurt with meals.

I also researched treatment for HP and the treatment is limited! Hopefully, someone out there has more info..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
(female)

hazel f HB User

One thing that I found that seemed to help with the gastritis was DGL liquorice. I guess it stimulus the mucous that protects the stomach lining.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User

Hi, thanks for the suggestion! I did some research online and most sites suggested it too. I have been taking the Protonix for a couple of days and have been on a very low fat diet of about less than 20 grams of fat per day and my stomach does not burn anymore. I also eliminated all coffee, diet cokes and food that are acidic.

I still feel very full and I am hoping that this feeling will go away soon because my appt is not until June.

Keep updating.

Last edited by aileb; 05-19-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
(female)

skeeweeaka HB User

To get rid of the infection three cloves of ORGANIC garlic, mixed in some organic yogurt or kefir, first thing in the morning and the same before bed! First test to see how you handle garlic and begin with one clove, chopped up, added the the yogurt!

You need the good bacteria, organic yogurt or kefir, to rebuild your immune system. It ALL HAS TO BE ORGANIC because the stuff they sell in the store has been pasterized, RADIATED, and is already dead so there is no medicinal value!

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
(female)

hazel f HB User

I take it your doctor did not test you for helicobacter pylori, which is the most common cause of ulcers and such. Your symptoms sound like mine and HP was the cause of it all. Fresh oregano and cranberry juice (which kicks off the gassing up) are both supposed to cause a hostile environment for the HP. Once I managed the kill off the HP it took a couple of years for the full sensation to go away, but it did.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
(female)

hazel f HB User

I take it your doctor didn't test for helicobacter pylori. That could be the source of your trouble. Unfortunately the treatment would be costly without insurance. A lot of people seem to think mastic kills it off.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
(female)

skeeweeaka HB User

Mastic? What's mastic, not familiar? My doctor didn't test for anything unfortunately, well she did mono, just referred me to a surgeon.

Thanks for the oregano and cranberry juice info though, I'll definitely add those to my regimen! The garlic has been a lifesaver!

What did you use to kill it off Hazel, cranberry and oregano?

Last edited by skeeweeaka; 05-22-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
(female)

hazel f HB User

Four rounds of a triple therapy of top shelf antibiotics plus a PPI supplemented by loads of raw oregano, cranberry juice, probiotics, and licorice .... plus two or three years of swearing and frustration .... and now??? The anemia feels like it is creeping back. All very costly, unless, like me, you live somewhere with nationalized health care! I would be broke if this happened while I still lived in the US, even with insurance!

Mastic is a fairly pricey natural remedy the Greeks have been using for centuries. People swear by it but I never could get my hands on it.

In terms of food, the one thing that didn't cause me to fill up right away and stay full for hours and hours was beans, and especially broad beans and lima beans. Lentils and rice worked well also. On the plus side, my cholesterol levels are great!

Old 05-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Mastica is available at most health food stores. But, I buy it from Vitacost at a good discount for 120 -- 500mg capsules -- 4 caps daily is a month supply for less than $30.

Every time I take an antibiotic I get gastritis that has never been helped by anti acids like PPIs-- Prilosec or Aciphex.

Masica is taken on an empty stomach --2 hours after meals -- twice daily and you have to take a good broad spectrum probiotic suppplement one daily. It usually take 2 weeks to cure the gastritis.

PB-8 is OK for a probiotic but of course there are other good ones available.

Mastica is also suppose to help cure H pylori infections but I have never use it for that purpose.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 05-24-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
(female)

hazel f HB User

Oddly enough I found beans of all sorts to be the best thing to eat. I also switched to soya milk, which helped, as dairy was not good at all. Bananas were also good and fish of all sorts. If I did chicken, it had to be with no skin. Turkey was better. Carrots were lovely. Anything with much fat at all is still very bad .... also vinegary stuff. I read somewhere that cabbage juice is sovereign, but I never tried it.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

ladybuglove HB User

Hello

I am having trouble finding others who suffer from gastritis.

I use to have Atrophic Gastritis with Metaplasia for two years and now I only have mild inflammation. I did this by being a vegetarian alkaline based diet with no spices seasonings and a very bland diet to heal the lining and making a herbal cocktail everyday and I practiced yoga to lower my stress provided by an Indian doctor. I am now with only mild inflammation via biopsy and will try a PPI for 3 months along with a bland diet to see is I can rid it off. The stomach takes a long time to heal it took 2 years just to get to mild inflammation.

I did a lot of research on gastritis over the years while having it...hpolyri, although I never had hpolyri and we never found out the real reason why I had such bad gastriits at only age 24, but I think diet and stress ( I was having college troubles) but not sure. You can literally knock out hpolyri using this full treatment: I use to have this up on my journal blog some year or two back.. and got massive response to it working. A few of them would try just one or two of the herbs and realize it didnt work, it takes the full treatment mastic gum alone is usual not enough. When you combine mastic with monalurin and manuka honey then the other soothers you equal HUGE antibacterial power.

Mastic Gum 2 a day
1 -2 tsp of Manuka Honey daily- Wedderspoon 16+ is amazing!
Monolaurin- buy the Ecological Formulas brand 2 a day
Probiotic 2 a day if using VSL#3 one packet a day- Organic Brand would be best make sure its in the fridge when you buy it and living not stale on a shelf if you can afford it get the VSL#3 brand its powerful expensive but the best for this, otherwise any other will be decent.
L Glutamine – teaspoon of the powder on your oatmeal or cream of wheat every morning
DGL one hour before every meal
Slippery Elm 1 X a day or as needed
cup of aloe vera juice a day
Tumeric- use it as you can inhibits the hpolyri
Whatever you do no dairy no sugars no white carbs- they love to feed off that sorta how yeast does!
Eat bland low meat no seasonings very much so veggie and low sugar fruits and low acidic food! dont feed the guys the good processed stuff! They hate coconut oil and olive oil so add it to the diet it slows them down inhibits them.

Give it some time to work remember herbals take time to really kick in and do there job it took most up to 3-6mths, plus you may have a lot of damage and we are talking the stomach its slow to heal.. after you have given it a good fair of time go in to the doctor and retest for hpolyri not by blood test but fecal or biopsy would be best.

Now once you rid your hpolyri you next have to focus on calming your inflammation and lower your acid this can take months to years to heal so this part of the treatment is slow.. this involves eating very bland no spice seasoning processed foods cans no meat to low meat, the good news is though now you can have a little more sugary fruits and veggies still no dairy produces acid but at this point soy will be fine, and carbs but watch to not go to far. Its really now about the Bland diet over the low sugar and taking herbs that are cooling comforting and soothing, chamomile jasmine fennel slippery elm marshmallow root based products, aloe vera, and a vast others such as putting Amla and Avipattikar Churna powders in some water ( won't taste pretty but is worth it) which really really started lowering my inflammation.

Once you feel your gastriits is calming go in for your endoscopy see how far you have gotten or how its doing.. for example for me after 2 years I had mild inflammation so mild he said do a PPI for just a few mths but def not forever, I dont know what you did (because he is an American GI) but your looking good! By this point you can now start a PPI only if needed and you should only have a few mths to be on it, continue the bland diet and you should be a lot better to cured. I will make being a vegeterian a lifestyle change and adding in a few of my cooling vitamins to my diet to make sure to not relapse.

* Always take a B12 supplement be sure its in sublingual form, because if you have hpolyri or any gastriits it can rid your intristic factor where B12 is processed so do take that through any of your treatment. Take calcium during the treatment from the lack of dairy.
Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by ladybuglove; 06-05-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Closed Thread