It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

libra10 HB User
burping a lot of air after eating

Lately just noticed that I am burping a lot after eating and drinking- I intentionally slowed down my eating and tried to chew more and still had no affect. My doctor has me on prilosec as conservative therapy incase I have an ulcer- still burping continues. I never burp up anything but air- no stomach pain, no heartburn, dont feel any acid coming up into throat so I dont think it is acid reflux. I haven't been tested for H Pylori yet and I am going to take an upper GI test this week.

I recently started taking Acyclovir suppressive therapy ( anti viral) and am thinking maybe that is making me burp but nobody on that thread seems to report that- only that is can make for an upset stomach- tried stopping that drug and didn't notice any difference . Anybody have any similar problems with the burping /belching?

Old 06-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: bruping a lot of air after eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by libra10 View Post
Lately just noticed that I am burping a lot after eating and drinking- I intentionally slowed down my eating and tried to chew more and still had no affect. My doctor has me on prilosec as conservative therapy incase I have an ulcer- still burping continues. I never burp up anything but air- no stomach pain, no heartburn, dont feel any acid coming up into throat so I dont think it is acid reflux. I haven't been tested for H Pylori yet and I am going to take an upper GI test this week.

I recently started taking Acyclovir suppressive therapy ( anti viral) and am thinking maybe that is making me burp but nobody on that thread seems to report that- only that is can make for an upset stomach- tried stopping that drug and didn't notice any difference . Anybody have any similar problems with the burping /belching?
What are you eating? Eating alot of fruit?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
(female)

abc7642 HB User

I'm experiencing the same thing - annoying isnt it? Had an upper GI not too long ago(which i had done for reasons other than burping/belching) and the doctor said I have acid reflux, but i never really had any problems with acid reflux up until now. I dont know if the burping is directly caused by it, as i have a bunch of other weird GI problems right now :/. But i know what you're going through, I had the h. pylori test done too and my doctor doubts ulcers. Well im getting an endoscopy soon, so if they find anything that could explain this (though i have a feeling they wont) i'll let you know.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
(female)

libra10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc7642 View Post
I'm experiencing the same thing - annoying isnt it? Had an upper GI not too long ago(which i had done for reasons other than burping/belching) and the doctor said I have acid reflux, but i never really had any problems with acid reflux up until now. I dont know if the burping is directly caused by it, as i have a bunch of other weird GI problems right now :/. But i know what you're going through, I had the h. pylori test done too and my doctor doubts ulcers. Well im getting an endoscopy soon, so if they find anything that could explain this (though i have a feeling they wont) i'll let you know.
Please let me know what happened with your endoscopy test- Now that you have responded I think it is Acylovir that is causing the burping- they say it causes upset stomach so maybe that is why the burping- but we need to find out. I will have the H Pylori test tomorrow- I dont want to give up the suppresssive therapy - I dont know if we can put up with this problem- maybe we should discontinue taking acylovir for a while to see what happens- I dont know what else to do.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
(female)

libra10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
What are you eating? Eating alot of fruit?
All we can do is stop taking the Acylovir and see what happens- it may take a while for it to get out of your system- also the hair loss comments really have me scared and that may not show up for 1-2 years and then it is too late. I guess I can schedule a barium upper GI test- nothing to lose. Please keep posting your progress on the burping- as much as possible so we can all benefit from these postings!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
(female)

libra10 HB User

What did you find out after the endoscopy test? I have quit taking the acylovir but still have the same symptoms after 4 days- but maybe it takes quite a long time to get out of your system- anyway let me know what happened with your scope test. Thanks

Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
(female)

abc7642 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by libra10 View Post
What did you find out after the endoscopy test? I have quit taking the acylovir but still have the same symptoms after 4 days- but maybe it takes quite a long time to get out of your system- anyway let me know what happened with your scope test. Thanks
haven't had it yet.. its scheduled for this wednesday, i'll let you know afterwards

Old 07-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
(female)

belladonna99 HB User

How did endoscopy go? I started with same symptoms 6 months ago, but recently experiencing acid as well. I have endoscopy this week. I am convinced I have hiatal hernia, but will know soon. I am a pharmacist and i have researched burping with aciclovir. No one has ever reported aciclovir causing burping (that I can find) . The GI upsets are nausea and loose bowel motions. People over 50 report dyspepsia. These side effects occur in less than 1% of people taking it. Aciclovir is cleared from the body quite quickly. If u were still burping when u didn't take aciclovir for 4 days, I don't think your burping is related to the drug. If u find a cure for the burping, I would love to know it!

Old 07-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #9
(female)

abc7642 HB User

They didnt see anything out of the ordinary, but i still have to wait for the results of the biopsies

Old 07-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
(female)

libra10 HB User

My dypepsia symptoms did go away when I discontinued all medications and anti inflammatories and supplements. However, I am pretty sure the acylovir did cause the dyspepsia and I am over 50. I am slowly introducing acylovir ( small doses) to see if that one drug is causing it. I also think the Ester C I am taking ( 1,000 mg) is not being tolerated ( this is great for allergies). The doc said no coffee but if I discontinue that I will get horrendous headaches that dont go away even with aspirin. I am sure I eat too fast and that causes belching but that is a hard habit to break. Are you taking acylovir also?

Old 07-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
(female)

libra10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc7642 View Post
They didnt see anything out of the ordinary, but i still have to wait for the results of the biopsies
I cancelled my upper GI test- as I got a lot better- still taking the prilosec when I feel I should, drink coffee ( not much) when I shouldnt, and now introducing slowly the acylovir to see if that is the med that is causing me dyspepsia. I also think taking vitamin C is really hard on the stomach- even though it is Ester C- but it helps with allergies so I cant give it up.

Closed Thread