It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #46
(female)

ml1227 HB User
Re: chronic unexplained nausea

Hi Aussiegirl2 and idwkia,
Thanks for all the information. I am in the USA and my only symtom is nausea. I saw a new GP and he was very helpful. I am going to have a hida scan and a cat scan of my head. I have taken mirtazapine for the first time last night and it seems to have helped but I don't want to get my hopes up yet. It does make me very tired. I will also look into the liverplex.
Thanks again

Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #47
(male)

idkwia HB Useridkwia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml1227 View Post
Hi Aussiegirl2 and idwkia,
Thanks for all the information. I am in the USA and my only symtom is nausea. I saw a new GP and he was very helpful. I am going to have a hida scan and a cat scan of my head. I have taken mirtazapine for the first time last night and it seems to have helped but I don't want to get my hopes up yet. It does make me very tired. I will also look into the liverplex.
Thanks again
The mirtazapine can take up to about 6 weeks to take effect and of course the dosage can be increased if needed. The tiredness will wear off once the body adjusts to it. Hope it works for you.
Please keep us posted because whilst we have lots of ideas regarding what has helped others we haven't yet dealt with our own problems so if you come across anything please let us know.
I would be interested to hear about your HIDA scan result please. I assume you are also getting a CCK with it right?
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #48
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkwia View Post
The mirtazapine can take up to about 6 weeks to take effect and of course the dosage can be increased if needed. The tiredness will wear off once the body adjusts to it. Hope it works for you.
Please keep us posted because whilst we have lots of ideas regarding what has helped others we haven't yet dealt with our own problems so if you come across anything please let us know.
I would be interested to hear about your HIDA scan result please. I assume you are also getting a CCK with it right?
Good luck.
hi idkwia
how are you going?? i felt sick today for the first time in ages. i had 2 champagnes last night which was not a good idea. i took some motiliium and feel a little better
i havent been tested for fructose ..its a breath test isnt it?

Old 11-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #49
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl2 View Post
hi idkwia
how are you going?? i felt sick today for the first time in ages. i had 2 champagnes last night which was not a good idea. i took some motiliium and feel a little better
i havent been tested for fructose ..its a breath test isnt it?
How am I? I am not very bad but I never ever feel well. I have tried so hard to get better but am not really making much progress. If I am honest I was really hoping Borody would treat you with Human Probioitic Infusion as it would have been very useful for me to see how it went for you. But hey ho, I have still got the idea of HPI on my "to do" list.
Sorry to hear that you felt sick today. I haven't had any alcohol for over 2 years; I just couldn't face it. I could be wrong but I believe that you shouldn't drink alcohol and take olanzapine, perhaps check with the doctor. Also if you feel that Liverplex is helping then it might indicate that you have a slight problem with your liver in which case it might not welcome alcohol - just a thought.
Fructose malabsorption is tested by a breath test. Food elimination is another way in which food intolerances can be checked. Since my illness I have come across numerous people who have been 'cured' having discovered they are intolerant to a particular group of foods.
Also I have recently read several research papers in which they discovered that many people with Chronic Idiopathic Nausea had GERD with and without heartburn and their condition was managed by taking Proton Pump Inhibitors. Have you tried these for an extended period?
Either way if your condition is managed by Olnazapine that is really good news
and you must be delighted.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #50
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

Quote:
How am I? I am not very bad but I never ever feel well. I have tried so hard to get better but am not really making much progress. If I am honest I was really hoping Borody would treat you with Human Probioitic Infusion as it would have been very useful for me to see how it went for you. But hey ho, I have still got the idea of HPI on my "to do" list.
Sorry to hear that you felt sick today. I haven't had any alcohol for over 2 years; I just couldn't face it. I could be wrong but I believe that you shouldn't drink alcohol and take olanzapine, perhaps check with the doctor. Also if you feel that Liverplex is helping then it might indicate that you have a slight problem with your liver in which case it might not welcome alcohol - just a thought.
Fructose malabsorption is tested by a breath test. Food elimination is another way in which food intolerances can be checked. Since my illness I have come across numerous people who have been 'cured' having discovered they are intolerant to a particular group of foods.
Also I have recently read several research papers in which they discovered that many people with Chronic Idiopathic Nausea had GERD with and without heartburn and their condition was managed by taking Proton Pump Inhibitors. Have you tried these for an extended period?
Either way if your condition is managed by Olnazapine that is really good news
and you must be delighted.
Hi
Yes i think that alcohol was not a good idea. i was feeling better so thats why i thought i could handle it. but i was wrong.
i was so happy when the olanzapine stopped the nausea. i reduced my dose and i think thats why it;'s come back. i am upping the dose again to 10 mgs so im hoping that will stop the nausea again..
i woke up this morning feeling sick , i have taken some stemetil to help me get through the day.
i also take zantac twice a day which seems to help with the heartburn that i get sometimes.
i might ask the doc next time about the breath test...i know i feel better when i dont eat gluten/
if i thought the human probiotic infusion would work then i would do it!
god this is a crappy condition to have!!!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #51
(male)

Quote:
Hi
Yes i think that alcohol was not a good idea. i was feeling better so thats why i thought i could handle it. but i was wrong.
i was so happy when the olanzapine stopped the nausea. i reduced my dose and i think thats why it;'s come back. i am upping the dose again to 10 mgs so im hoping that will stop the nausea again..
i woke up this morning feeling sick , i have taken some stemetil to help me get through the day.
i also take zantac twice a day which seems to help with the heartburn that i get sometimes.
i might ask the doc next time about the breath test...i know i feel better when i dont eat gluten/
if i thought the human probiotic infusion would work then i would do it!
god this is a crappy condition to have!!!
Don't think gluten can be tested by a breath test. You only know by eliminating it from the diet.
I really do believe that human probiotic infusion could help because it makes perfect sense to me but unfortunatley I cannot persuade any doctor in Europe to do it.
Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #52
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

Quote:
Don't think gluten can be tested by a breath test. You only know by eliminating it from the diet.
I really do believe that human probiotic infusion could help because it makes perfect sense to me but unfortunatley I cannot persuade any doctor in Europe to do it.
Hope you feel better tomorrow.
Thanks. Yes if the olanzapine doesnt work I would consider the infusion. would you think about coming to australia to have it done? its radical but does prof borody think he can help you?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #53
(female)

ml1227 HB User

idkwia,
I am having the CCK done with my Hida Scan. I have to wait six weeks because of the cat scan I had done on my stomach where they had given my an injection. I was wondering about the food intolerances. I think I might have a intolerance to dairy. I am going to eliminate it and see what happens. Can you be tested for food sensitivities? What medicine are you taking for your nausea?

Old 11-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #54
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

hi how is everyone going?
Idwika i wanted to ask you about mirtazapine? im thinking of trying it because the side effects (sedation and brain fog) from olanzapine is getting to me,
what are your thoughts?

Old 12-01-2010, 06:06 AM   #55
(female)

ml1227 HB User

Hi Aussiegirl2,
I use mirtazapine. It works great for nausea. It does make you tired but your body will adjust. It makes me extremely hungry. I crave carbs and sugary items so I only take it when my nausea is really bad. I was told it takes weeks to work but it worked immediately for me. The first time I took it my nausea was totally gone. I have also heard it can stop working just as quickly. I havent had that problem yet. I also take compazine. That also seems to help. I had to take that a while before it started to work.
Mary

Old 12-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #56
(male)

Quote:
hi how is everyone going?
Idwika i wanted to ask you about mirtazapine? im thinking of trying it because the side effects (sedation and brain fog) from olanzapine is getting to me,
what are your thoughts?
Hi Aussiegirl - I take 30mgs of Mirtazapine and my doctor has now suggested I increase it to 45mgs. I am not actually sure that it has helped me as I still suffer constantly although overall I am a little better than a year ago. I did't have any side effects from Mirtazapine at all. It certainly doesn't make me hungry, but then nobody feels hungry when they feel nauseous all the time. Having said all of that, as I have said before, Mirtazapine does have a reputation of being good for nausea, as the last poster has confirmed, but of course what works for some doesn't work for everyone.
As a suggestion, why don't you drop your dose of Olanzapine down to 7.5mgs or even 5mgs? You may recall that my doctor suggested I take 2.5mgs of Olanzapine originally as he had obviously had a lot of success even at that level. Because it didn't work for me he has now suggested I go to 5mgs. Anyway, you may well find that a lower dose will still deal with the nausea as well as have no side effects because I had no side effects from Olanzapine other than a little tiredness initially.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #57
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

Quote:
Hi Aussiegirl - I take 30mgs of Mirtazapine and my doctor has now suggested I increase it to 45mgs. I am not actually sure that it has helped me as I still suffer constantly although overall I am a little better than a year ago. I did't have any side effects from Mirtazapine at all. It certainly doesn't make me hungry, but then nobody feels hungry when they feel nauseous all the time. Having said all of that, as I have said before, Mirtazapine does have a reputation of being good for nausea, as the last poster has confirmed, but of course what works for some doesn't work for everyone.
As a suggestion, why don't you drop your dose of Olanzapine down to 7.5mgs or even 5mgs? You may recall that my doctor suggested I take 2.5mgs of Olanzapine originally as he had obviously had a lot of success even at that level. Because it didn't work for me he has now suggested I go to 5mgs. Anyway, you may well find that a lower dose will still deal with the nausea as well as have no side effects because I had no side effects from Olanzapine other than a little tiredness initially.
hi
I have tried lower doses of olanzapine ( i reduced it down to ten but the nausea came back with a vengeance!)
im on 12.5 mgs now and that seems to work ok.
im starting the mirtazapine next week 15mgs for 4 days then up to 30 so i will let u know how i go,

Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #58
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

Quote:
hi
I have tried lower doses of olanzapine ( i reduced it down to ten but the nausea came back with a vengeance!)
im on 12.5 mgs now and that seems to work ok.
im starting the mirtazapine next week 15mgs for 4 days then up to 30 so i will let u know how i go,
hi everyone
I tried the 30mgs of mirtazapine and i am actually feeling worse than before. So the doc says i should take 15 mgs of olanzapine and back off to 15 mgs of mirtazapine. How long before the mirtazapine started to make a difference? Im actually feeling much worse than before.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #59
(female)

ml1227 HB User

Did you stop taking the olanzapine? If you did you could be having withdrawal which would make you feel worse. Mirtazapine will take a few weeks to work.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #60
(female)

aussiegirl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml1227 View Post
Did you stop taking the olanzapine? If you did you could be having withdrawal which would make you feel worse. Mirtazapine will take a few weeks to work.

Hi No Im still taking the olanzapine. I did reduce the dose but the nausea was too great, im now back up to 15 mg of olanzapine and im on a half dose of mirtazapine,. i hope that will work. but im having doubts.

Closed Thread